The Children's Place
www.childrensplace.com Secaucus, NJ 5000+ Employees

Retail nightmare

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros- Good quality clothing at affordable prices
- Decent discount
- Better than average PTO

Cons- Work here if you want to work ridiculous hours to accommodate the insane workload
- Upper management does not have it together most of the time, resulting in last minute changes to floor sets AFTER they've been completed, resulting in additional and unnecessary work without the payroll to support it
- Distribution is a mess. Store receives more inventory than we could ever hope to sell, while other stores don't receive enough. Completely unmanageable inventory levels in some stores.
- No corporate support on company culture. Company expects high customer service standards, but assigns so many tasks on a whim that it's impossible with the payroll to do both. They're trying to promote a selling culture, but it's just not going to happen unless corporate changes high level of tasking.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting so much money on marketing you use for a week, if you ever even use it at all. Simplify your window and marketing like the other children's retailers. There's no need to change it out every week. Do you have any idea how much marketing we throw out that never sees the sales floor or windows? It's irresponsible and wasteful. Spend that extra money on PAYROLL!! The window that drew the most attention thus far was the extremely simple Monster Sale window we had up post-Christmas. There's so much going on in the windows most of the time, who has time or the attention span to read all that marketing?

Fire everyone in charge of distribution and start over. You are stuck in some other century with your inventory and distribution. Absolutely ridiculous. Get a method, and send what we need as we need it. We've lost so much money on merchandise that had to be transferred out at our cost, or that sat in the back losing value because the sales floor was already stuffed. No store needs 27 size 6x/7 blue sparkle skirts.

Get your act together. The last few floor sets have been nightmares, save for the most recent. Why is it that we're doing full department changes the day after the floor set is due? Do you know how much WORK that is? Get it right the first time. Do the corporate walkthrough prior to having the entire company set it. We spend so much time tasking with no payroll, that we can hardly give the customers the attention they deserve. This is BAD BUSINESS!!!

Too many tasks no payroll for customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros: Salary was good. Product was high quality Cons: Allowed very little payroll. Too many tasks to complete with… Advice to Senior Management: Increase payroll. Improve technology. More

Lots to do with little resources.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros: If you have kids, you get a great discount. Cons: Very little training was offerred Advice to Senior Management: Update your systems. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on The Children's Place.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.