There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

I do not regret leaving the company

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Marietta, GA (US)
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

generous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

Cons

I felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Follow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

384 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

Fun, fast-paced environment.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time

Pros

Good amount of room for advancement, flexible hours considering lack of employees.

Cons

Under-staffed, some employees were not qualified for position.

Would never recommend TFM for employment.

Former Employee - Produce Department Manager  in  Montvale, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Produce Department Manager in Montvale, NJ (US)

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

1.) 20% discount made available on first day of unemployment.
    2.) "Chance" of promotion.
    3.) "Chance" of F/T employment.
    4.) Solidarity with fellow co-workers over existentialist crisis of a "job well done."

Cons

1.) Zero work/life balance.
    2.) Zero guarantee of a 40 hr. work week.
    3.) Prepared foods are terrifyingly unhealthy.
    4.) Produce department has on average less organic produce than regular chains (at least in the NY/NJ area). What product does come in the same as what you'll find in a regular chain - right down to the box it came in.
    5.) Personal hygiene is not something all employees appreciate.
    6.) All breads and cookies are pre-made and unhealthy.
    7.) Meat department does have some good product though you won't find organic/grass fed meats. Seafood department has mostly frozen and internationally sourced product. Meats used in the prepared foods (deli) are from big farms ie Tyson.
    8.) The grocery/PG department is consistently under stocked. Please count the shelf holes next time you're in for a good chortle.
    9.) Woefully undertrained staff.
    10.) As a department manager, you have zero input into who the store decides to hire. You have no input into forecasting or budgeting hours. This isn't necessarily a con if these things hadn't been promised to you in lead up to employment.
    11.) Inability to move a problem employee toward termination through write-ups etc.

I would say to stop misrepresenting yourself as an aww shucks, good-natured, God-fearing, healthy living, family centered business. You are a cruel and ruthless employer. I would go as fas as saying Darth Vader would take issue with your practices. You are where hope goes to die, where after runs and morons go to manage. I would like it if you could just say, "We have no personal integrity and we will do whatever it takes to make a buck - not an honest, hard earned buck - but a buck made by placing our employees into impossible situations. We will demand you to do a job in 40 hours that actually takes 80 hours to complete. And when you don't meet your goal, we will mock and gode you and tell you that you're an awful worker and that you must improve."

TFM is like a girlfriend who always comes home with an STD, but you know - its your fault because you didn't stop her from cheating on you.

There is really no advice that I could offer upper management. They got the golden goose and are infallible in all ways. I will take great joy in the impending failure of TFM to wow new customers in ever more sophisticated locales what with their shoe-string budget for employee hours.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

Worked for The Fresh Market? Contribute to the Community!