There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

I do not regret leaving the company

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

generous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

Cons

I felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Follow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

405 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

Knowledgeable coworkers and friendly managers

I worked at The Fresh Market

Pros

It was a generally clean work environment
    The hours were flexible for part time employees
    I rarely had to work overnight

Cons

The store seemed understaffed at times and had essentially no break room. The corporate employees who came to give criticism didn't seem to understand what it was like to actually run a store.

Fun, fast-paced environment.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time

Pros

Good amount of room for advancement, flexible hours considering lack of employees.

Cons

Under-staffed, some employees were not qualified for position.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market