The Fresh Market

www.thefreshmarket.com
  www.thefreshmarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

I do not regret leaving the company

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

generous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

Cons

I felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Follow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

430 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

Looks like another Wild Oats or Gone Soon

Current Employee - Clean Up Mgers Mess in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Clean Up Mgers Mess in Bentonville, AR (US)

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None unless working 13 hours a week will help you make any money. A complete joke of a business.

Cons

Everything. Craig should go lock himself in his car. HORRIBLE place to work.

Send your management to Whole Foods school. Learn how the BIG boys do it. Frankly, you do not have a clue.

Needs Attention from Corporate and CEO's they need to care about Employees not just pocket books

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not having to file for unemployement benifits or live off the government.

Cons

Raises, hours, vacation, discount and all that other junk they consider benifits. Managers only last about a year and No training and No repremand for anything either, Pay is not given according to job or production of work so some stand around talking all day while others are expected to bust butt all day for less pay. Customer Delight is a joke if The Fresh Market delighted the employees that are hard working and dedicated they wouldn't have to worry about customers being satisfied, Offer more incentatives to those that have been there for 5 or more years like maybe 50 shares of stock in company or tickets to concerts or carowinds or something of value that says You and Your hard work is worth something to this company, not feeling the family love.

CEO and Corporate needs to set up a Company wide meeting so that employees questions and concerns are discussed not just brushed under the rug or Managements answers now days that is just the way it is and if you don't like it leave. Pay raises and scale for employees that have been with the company over 5 years needs to be adjusted no real incentative to stay any longer for most of those hard workers that now have enough experience to start out at what top pay is here. Customers are not always right and when they are just plain rude to employees they shouldn't be rewarded with free food and gift cards. Customers at the store I have been at know how to get freebies all they have to do is complain, actually witnessed this being said between customers, Some of the Code of Ethics are broken on a on going basis by all of management on a daily basis some employees eat food that is not paid for in departments and others are told that it is stealing, special prefference is given when Your spouse is friends or employes managers spouse as well as Men and Women in same department expected to do the same job and male employee is paid more than female employee and when management is confronted with this the answer is "Guys have families to support and won't take the job making what female employees will." this is serious discimination issue here, this why I am writing in hopes that someone cares enough to read and take action.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market