Great college job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Department  in  Spokane, WA (US)
Former Employee - Sales Associate - Paint Department in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

was able to switch departments fairly quickly, felt valued as an employee, flexible schedule and time off, learned a great deal about home improvement

Cons

it's retail, same issues as most retail places, they tend to hire upper management from outside rather than from within the company

You have more influence over how valued an employee feels than the company at large. While you do not have a say in benefits and compensation you can show your employees that yoru care about them and appreciate them. Our store manage would bbq tri tip for us on holidays as way to say "thank you"(we of course were also paid time and a half). Christmas parties are also a great opportunity to show your staff how much you care.

Other Reviews for The Home Depot

Best kept secret in retail

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Team Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Team Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ M-F schedule in retail
    + Paid drive time/mileage
    + Drive time results in short Fridays
    + Many more paid holidays and holidays off than store associates (you get off memorial day/labor day, etc)
    + Flexibility to work holidays for OT
    + Very flexible and understanding management
    + Good benefits

As with all jobs happiness has more to do with who you're working for and with. I'm on a great team with caring and fun management which makes me enjoy work.

Cons

- Pay is competitive but still not amazing
    - Very physical
    - Can be tedious at times
    - Management training seems to be in it's infancy (for instance, Target's training is much, much better/more advanced) which results in managers that can be good or bad.

Quit playing the political games. Those days seem to be coming to an end, thankfully and a lot that were that way are getting weeded out, but the battle isn't over.

Great place with people helping people

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Can't hardly walk in the door without getting some kind of assistance or just a smile

Cons

No discounts for employees. Customers get better deal than those that work there.

Need to have security on hand at all times. Too much theft. Need to try to hold on the employees that are loyal and hard workers, and pay them accordingly

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!