TxDOT

www.dot.state.tx.us

Long term potential if you aren't interested in much advancement or money, unless you are a civil engineer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsLots of time off potential, especially since they don't pay overtime, and instead earn comp time. If you get fired then you did something completely stupid and unethical because nobody loses their job. Close knit working environment and friendly people. Great place to get career experience to move on elsewhere. Even though the pay is bad, the benefits are pretty good.

ConsThe pay. If you are not a CIVIL engineer it's pretty much a dead end place to work. Even for non-engineering positions TxDOT tends to hire engineers for. Upper administration makes decent money but regular employees don't. Management doesn't allow much decision making from regular employees and discourages it. The only potential to become a manager is if someone dies or retires. You are an enemy of the public and the media.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees some decision making ability which encourages ingenuity. Something needs to be done about the pay because those benefits that you use to retain people are getting more and more expensive but the pay isn't going up to help.

Learned a lot due to working on the field

Engineering Tech I (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at TxDOT

Pros: I learned stuff that I couldn't learn through textbooks, such… Cons: Being outside for 9 hours a day in the heat… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

fair

Engineering Tech V (Current Employee) Gainesville, GA (US)

I have been working at TxDOT full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: if you are in the right position you can spend… Cons: If you are not management or a engineer you do… Advice to Senior Management: pay us more Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on TxDOT.

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!