UCLA

www.ucla.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

Great atmosphere working with co-workers and technicians, customer service learning and student technician experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the pay is awesome comparable to other student jobs
the job teaches you practical life skills

Cons

uncooperative and rude customers to the students

Have the employees learn more computer programs i.e. Adobe, Java, etc.

646 Other Employee Reviews for UCLA (View Most Recent)

Academic institution

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free life style, good collaboration within campus

Cons

Low payment, not good career development

Large academic environment. Experience can be very variable, and will depend on department & immediate colleagues.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally -- campus environment offers gym facilities (with a fee), interesting events (e.g. frequent lectures, seminars, performance and sporting events, etc.) and access to intelligent people. There's also ample opportunity to work with students, if that's your thing.

Cons

I've worked part-time in several different departments and in different positions, during my undergraduate and graduate time at UCLA. The work culture and experience can vary widely between departments, or labs. It can be difficult to predict this in advance of starting the position, without personally knowing someone already in the department or lab. Overall, I haven't had any problems, and in fact had great experiences at all of my positions. However, among my peers, I seem to be an anomaly. For example, some had technically incompetent supervisors, managers or colleagues. Others worked for faculty that was very out-of-touch, or labs with very little guidance (relatively common) and career development opportunities. Still others worked in very cut-throat, deadline-driven (e.g. for grants, publications, etc.) competitive environments. So it depends.

My general advice to all upper management is to insist that all employees be kept up to standards, especially with technology, current trends and _accountability_. There's a lot of incentive to stay longer on campus, and competition and accountability standards seem to ubiquitiously decrease with seniority.

There are newer employer reviews for UCLA