Its all about where you work. Campus can be fulfilling, Health systems side fed by ego and $$$

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
Former Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

If you end up on the campus side there is more likelihood of advancement

Cons

As a staff employee you often are powerless to make system changes. Procedures can be antiquated even though this is a 5 star school.

Check yourself. The constant upheaval in the school among faculty is crazy and often staff is caught in the middle

Other Reviews for UCLA

Bewildering

Former Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

UCLA has a beautiful campus, wonderful weather, and is populated by some amazingly intelligent, motivated, hard-working students.

Cons

Job expectations could not be less clear. I'm guessing this is probably because no one in the administration knows what they are either. You are evaluated by sets of committees filled with nameless members whom you never meet. The criterion you are evaluated on are sometimes secret and often contradictory (from committee to committee). The worst part is there is no one to discuss your performance with because you have no idea who will be evaluating you and this will be different every time.

While I understand the importance of shared leadership, accountability has its advantages as well. It would be nice to create a system where employees could have some idea whom they could turn to for reliable job advice. It would be nice to have some hints at standards by which one could assess oneself. I have heard many people discuss how difficult it would be for the multiple layers of committees with their ever-shifting membership to establish any criterion at all. While I recognize the difficulty in this, consider the even greater difficulty this poses for employees being evaluated by groups of people who have given up hope on the idea of agreeing as to how to evaluate them.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer III  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer III in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is wonderful to be on a US campus and to work with students and faculty. I am happy with the vacation time offered and you can earn more vacation time off by donating blood.

Cons

I find that I am paying more for parking and medical insurance than elsewhere. It also appears that promotions and raises may prove difficult, although I have not yet tried.

There are newer employer reviews for UCLA.

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!