UK National Health Service

www.nhs.uk
There are newer employer reviews for UK National Health Service

Working for the NHS

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

I love working here because it's the best pay that I've ever know. It combines my two loves, computers and people. Working here gives me great satisfaction, knowing that I'm helping people everyday and that I could be saving someones life, by making sure that our PC's are up and running correctly. We are in a very close-knit team of about 9 people and I love it. Everyone gets along and is friendly and it is just a great place to be. Im proud to say that I work for the NHS, it's better than saying that I work at McDonalds or somewhere like that. That had to be the most embarrassing point of my life!!! But it's absolutely wicked working here. I would recommend it any day.

Cons

I suppose the only thing about this place that I don't like is I don't really get any feedback about how I'm doing. I asked the other day as I wanted to know. My manager said to me that we only really tell you how you are doing when you are doing something wrong. If you are doing well, then we won't say anything to you. I don't think that's fair, and it's not motivational really.

Tell us how we are doing. Just that really. Oh and more perks for putting up with stressy people would be good. Although the £17k p/a is a perk in itself really.

33 Other Employee Reviews for UK National Health Service (View Most Recent)

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Medical Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am in a medical PA role in the NHS. If you are hardworking, efficient, patient focussed and caring this is a very rewarding job. Even today there is still good security of employment, great annual leave allowances, parental leave and generous sick leave, along with an excellent pension scheme, in all very good terms and conditions. I would also struggle to find a PA role in another industry matching the salary You are left to get your work done without being "watched over" by management. Working in a large hospital along so many different specialisms and colleagues is interesting.

Cons

Sometimes patients can be rude, I guess like customers anywhere. They can also be anxious, upset and distressed, understandably, and you can be left to deal with things on your own; sometimes you can feel a little isolated. If you are not dedicated it can be difficult to get the job done competently, as the work load does tend to be large. It is the norm to work through breaks, come to work earlier than the start of the shift, etc, but if you are dedicated to patient care and your team it is worth it.

NHS review

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

Holidays, pension are the only possitive

Cons

A4C structure forces the most talented staff to stop using their specialist skills and become full time managers.

X