UK National Health Service

www.nhs.uk
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for UK National Health Service

Working for the NHS

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service

Pros

I love working here because it's the best pay that I've ever know. It combines my two loves, computers and people. Working here gives me great satisfaction, knowing that I'm helping people everyday and that I could be saving someones life, by making sure that our PC's are up and running correctly. We are in a very close-knit team of about 9 people and I love it. Everyone gets along and is friendly and it is just a great place to be. Im proud to say that I work for the NHS, it's better than saying that I work at McDonalds or somewhere like that. That had to be the most embarrassing point of my life!!! But it's absolutely wicked working here. I would recommend it any day.

Cons

I suppose the only thing about this place that I don't like is I don't really get any feedback about how I'm doing. I asked the other day as I wanted to know. My manager said to me that we only really tell you how you are doing when you are doing something wrong. If you are doing well, then we won't say anything to you. I don't think that's fair, and it's not motivational really.

Tell us how we are doing. Just that really. Oh and more perks for putting up with stressy people would be good. Although the £17k p/a is a perk in itself really.

38 Other Employee Reviews for UK National Health Service (View Most Recent)

Okay job if you're assertive at problem solving, dont crumble when patients shout at you, and just need a bit of money.

Former Employee - 111 Health Advisor (West London) in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - 111 Health Advisor (West London) in London, England (UK)

I worked at UK National Health Service part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Other Health Advisors generally good people.
    Overtime quite readily available. Contracts of 12, 18, 24, 30 hrs to 37.5.
    Nice to come into work and see people but if not in a sociable mood can still just do your own thing
    Pay at £9 per hour, £11 for hours between 23:00 - 06:00 is slightly better than most unskilled jobs and this is what keeps staff from leaving so quickly as they know it will be difficult in telesales/receptionist other telephone based jobs to earn £9+ an hour.

Cons

Weekends and some evenings you can be put under pressure from your supervisor to take back to back calls from anything from 1 to 6 hrs non stop, you're throat will dry up and your backside will ache and when you press break on your telephone to go to the toilets you often have to make sure no one else is on break which is difficult as there can be upto 30 other staff all wanting to do the same thing.

This IS however only in busy periods but if you're part time ALL your working hours will be busy periods as part time staff have to work every weekend.

Obviously it is slightly repetitive work, I would not recommend this if you're coming into it hoping for a career as there is little to no progression. It is good only as a side job if you have another main goal in life or commitment like children, or your partner is main breadwinner etc. maybe you're running a start up business, are a student at university (maybe quite an ok job on the CV of science and medical undergraduates) etc.

- Enforce name change from job title of "Supervisor" to "Team Leader"
    - Train supervisors to interact by email regarding same day lateness, going over recommended 10 min break time in a 6 hr shift - approaching them while they are taking calls and questioning them in front of everyone is counter-productive.
    - Give health advisors who know the ropes and have been there for 12 months plus a mix of roles on their shifts, use them to create better 1-to-1 culture between new and senior staff so it doesn't come as a massive suprise when people leave.
    - Do regular surveys of staff with the intention of improving staff welfare, say every 3 months or every quarter do a fresh anonymous survey so management can have their finger of the pulse of what staff and patients are looking for quicker rather than years behind.
    - Improve access to "Perks" apparently we have access to discounts but manager hasn't quite seen this through website doesnt work and no one has been able to sign up. So far can only get normal discount by blagging it in Nando's and some Gyms.
    - Let people sit where they want in the call centre, I personally like to sit near the front so I can pop to the kitchen easily but its embarrassing when some of the younger sociable staff clearly just want to sit near their friends and supervisors are forcing them to sit next to someone who they will barely speak to in between calls, also be adults and give a reason why you are moving people, is it just because supervisors dont want to have to walk to the other side when that staff member requires assistance? Then just say so! Maybe let staff who have 95% correct referral sit where they want and encourage but not force those who dont to sit closer to the Supervisors?

Overall a poor experience, no motivation to work for the service again!

Current Employee - Biomedical Scientist in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Biomedical Scientist in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at UK National Health Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent enough pay,with a defined pay banding, good holiday allowances too. Joined the service to help patients but soon felt like I was on a production line.

Cons

Low morale throughout staff, terrible training, poor man management and communication by managers. Can only comment on my own lab though so maybe different elsewhere! Very few opportunities to progress past Band 6.

Listen tothe feedback from staff more, do not just treat them as numbers. Spend more time in the lab with your staff and not in your own offices or meetings!

There are newer employer reviews for UK National Health Service