University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Your fellow UC employees make all the difference

Former Employee - Web Programmer in Berkeley, CA (US)
Former Employee - Web Programmer in Berkeley, CA (US)

I worked at University of California

Pros

Even if you are not in a union-represented position, UC will treat you like you are. You have access to quaint, old-fashioned perks such as real lunch breaks away from your desk, the ability to take evenings and weekends off, and even a pension scheme. Sure, we all grumbled about our pay being lower compared to that in industry, but overall we made lots more money, since our jobs were relatively more secure and we didn't work uncompensated overtime.

Cons

At UC I worked with several obstructive individuals who would've been tossed out on their butts in the private sector, but were tolerated and even coddled for *years* despite their lack of contribution to projects or teamwork. This, more than any other factor--more than dilapidated equipment, more than the make-do salary, more than the sensation that I was missing out on the innovations happening in industry--is what made me quit my UC job.

Any one person has the potential to wield a huge amount of influence in the very distributed UC system. I had the benefit of a terrific manager, who struggled valiantly with the myriad stupidities of the average UC workday. Managers like him should receive gigantic raises.

121 Other Employee Reviews for University of California (View Most Recent)

Berkeley is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator
    Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator

I have been working at University of California

Pros

I love working with these extremely smart Berkeley students! The institution is open and friendly; diverse and accepting of different lifestyles. I'm a lesbian, and there is a lot of support for me and my family.

Cons

The pay isn't that great, but if you stay here, you get more vacation time and a full pension. It's hard being dependent on the state budget. Some years there's enough money, right now money is very tight. This is hard if you're trying to get new initiatives funded.

Senior management needs to get real. Some of the people I work for have a million ideas, but no funding to back up their plans.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at University of California

Pros

The UC is well known for cutting edge research and great faculty. As a postdoc, it provides a perfect environment to build your career. I'm not sure about other postdocs' situations, but I get a full medical/dental/vision health insurance plan and 4 weeks of paid vacation.

Cons

There can be a lot of big egos to wade through at times, but if you work for the right people there is no reason you can't succeed.

I wish there were some sort of postdoc association to meet other postdocs. At times it can be very hard to meet other people in a new town and it would be nice to have some events where postdocs could gather and talk.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California