There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland

A good place to get a PhD

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  College Park, MD (US)
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD (US)

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was a science graduate student, and received good mentorship. Most of the people that I knew in my program were very happy with their experience. Graduate student life is lots of work, but the pay at UMd is enough to live on (if you're careful) and the school isn't taking in more science students that it can afford to support to graduation (which is sometimes the case at Ivy League schools). There's good health insurance because you receive state employee benefits. I would recommend working as a graduate student at UMd.

Cons

As is typical for graduate school, there were no official family leave or maternity leave policies. Traffic can be a mess, but that's not unusual for the DC area.

You're doing a good job supporting science graduate students, both with decent pay, good benefits, and good mentoring. Please expand your family leave/ maternity leave policies to graduate students.

448 Other Employee Reviews for University of Maryland (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  College Park, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD (US)

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Take classes for free, pleasant atmosphere, nice working around young people who are enthusiastic about life. Good health benefits & retirement plans.

Cons

I can't think of cons besides having to pay for parking :) Perhaps traffic going in to work can be a challenge.

Researcher in theoretical particle physics

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  College Park, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in College Park, MD (US)

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great research group, with renowned professors creating successful collaborations.

Cons

The offices were too old at the time of my position, but a new building should be completed in 2013.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!