University of Phoenix

www.phoenix.edu
  www.phoenix.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Very enjoyable

Current Employee - Faculty in San Jose, CA (US)
Current Employee - Faculty in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at University of Phoenix as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teach on-line from home. Ability to "give back" to society and help others gain educational knowledge and help them move up in the world

Cons

Contract based so pay flow can be unpredictable. As in all teaching the pay really isn't that great

708 Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix (View Most Recent)

Best career I had until the last year

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent understanding of culture, experience, opportunity (depends on location), Mentors, all the support in the right team. I was a top producer that doubled my salary (untill the pay changed due to DOE) in 4 years I was making $62,200 made Senior and loved it! If you are motivated, love a challenge, and team work- this is the place for you.

Cons

My campus was the "old school" type- a manager that was only an enrollment advisor for 6 months, then trainer turned manager- book wise she was brilliant- but she didn't have the people skills and drove away top producers for the campus- including myself. I found myself skipping work and couldn't handle after being on her team for my last year. I had even helped with her transaction by talking to others to help them adjust to her team.

Don't promote to promote- if you see that your top producers are leaving- listen to them- especialy if they get mediation involved- that is a sign they want to stay but need change. I will always "dislike" this woman- I loved my career... I miss them.. reflect... and see if you have a cancer then focus on that infected cell.. not the healthy ones being infected..UPDATE: Just found out today- she was fired... there is hope!

Has changed over the last few years

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice culture and benefits are very good. Education is completely covered aside of reading materials which isn't bad. Can choose your schedule although you do have to have one late day a week and there is a Saturday coverage rotation. Get to help people make a difference in their life by furthering their education. Pay is one of the highest among this positions at other schools. Lots of development! I feel very prepared to do a lot of things after all the trainings and experiences I have had here.

Cons

Told to do one thing but expected to do another: do what is in the best interest of the student but need to enroll many students each month. Micro managed like crazy: each day must have many dials, hours of talk time, be available for calls, and generate referrals. You are questioned if one of these is low. There are even times you have to IM others you are leaving your desk to get coffee or use the restroom. Must work at least one evening a week and rotate Saturday shifts. No overtime. People you talk to on the phone can be very rude and it can be frustrating when students give up for silly reasons or manipulate government funding.

Don't micro-manage! Mean what you say. If you want me to focus on having quality conversations with students, dont write me up for not enrolling enough students for the quarter.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix