Vanderbilt University

www.vanderbilt.edu
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Vanderbilt University

Great place to do graduate research in any biomedical field

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN (US)
Former Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Vanderbilt University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting-edge research, PhD students receive highly-competitive stipends, free health insurance, rec. center, and waiver of tuition

Cons

Academic researchers aren't fully focused on training and preparing you for your next career move. They're focused on getting funding and doing research.

Continue to provide career development source through routes other than advisers. Even my adviser who I consider to be top-notch could've done better to clue me in on some things. For example, I had looked for positions at PUI's and liberal arts colleges that don't require a postDoc but wasn't informed about the seasonal nature of such position announcements. They come out in October. That one piece of knowledge up front would've saved me a lot of frustration looking for such positions during the off-season.

214 Other Employee Reviews for Vanderbilt University (View Most Recent)

great workplace, great medical benefits

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Vanderbilt University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. small class size
    2. research oriented university
    3. big medical school
    4. great medical benefits
    It is premier school located in relatively quiet laid back city. The paycheck(for research assistants) is quite good but cost of living is also high. But main thing is that you will always find funds to support you. So if you get admission, be assure that you will graduate without worrying about costs. If some professor is ready to hire you as RA then okay but if not they will keep you as TA. So no worries there.

Cons

Depends on department and adviser/boss
    work can be stressful sometimes

Be more professional

Lots of benefits, but organizational structure puts employees at a disadvantage.

Current Employee - Research Analyst I in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst I in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Vanderbilt University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many jobs at Vanderbilt have flexible scheduling, autonomous work environment, excellent healthcare benefits, and helpful on the job training programs and workshops.

Cons

The organizational system at Vanderbilt often means that others will be managed by someone who is not "officially" their manager. This creates a situation where you several "bosses" who may ask opposing things of you, and write your performance reviews even though they have no contact with you 90% of the time. Also, it seems that human resources has little concern about fairness when it comes to employee promotion and pay. They will offer you less than what your manager has said you qualify for every time. This leads to a lot of people having to transfer into the desired position in another department.

People should be compensated fairly for the work they are doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Vanderbilt University