Viacom
www.viacom.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Viacom offers the ability to build your career with diverse experience across their many networks.

Creative Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Viacom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHaving worked at 4 networks under the Viacom / MTV Networks umbrella, I've found something amazingly consistent. Each network is very different in terms of the culture and the workflow, yet all were encouraging of exploration and seeking new opportunities in the network or in other networks. The company is like a creative hedge fund. Once you get a job in one of the networks, with little effort you'll be exposed to many other opportunities. They're yours for the taking, if you're a self-starter. Depending on the department, you'll be given enough rope (autonomy) to hang yourself or prove yourself.

ConsLike most firms, management often doesn't know how good they have it with a top notch employee until that employee leaves. If you hang around one spot expecting automatic promotions simply by doing acceptably. You have to excellent and make yourself known. It's very competitive. You'll probably rise up the chain quicker by leaving a network then coming back a year or two later. Cross-network moves are the quickest path from PA to Associate Producer or AP to Producer or Producer to Exec Producer, etc, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk all of your people what they want to do with their career long term. What's their biggest hope/goal? Do you think they've got a shot at making it there? If so, put them on that path to being a superstar.

A chaos storm of epic proportions that is fast slipping in the digital media world

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros: Some nice people, fun vibe, benefits are ok, have every tool needed for success. If… Cons: No real career opportunities (don't believe recruiters), after talking to other folks it's typical to get stuck in your same position for a long time,… Advice to Senior Management: Come up with a vision that does more than celebrate diversity. Viacom could be OWNING the digital space… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Pay well, but for a reason...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Viacom

Pros: Great brands, fun perks, some old school media benefits. Cons: Crazy, chaotic environment. Very political. More

There are newer reviews on Viacom.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Viacom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Viacom CEO Philippe P. Dauman. All reviews posted anonymously by Viacom employees.