Virginia Department of Health

www.vdh.state.va.us
  www.vdh.state.va.us
There are newer employer reviews for Virginia Department of Health

VA Department of Health is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Virginia Department of Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the nicest, most hardworking people I have ever had the pleasure to know. I can think of a dozen people offhand who were incredibly busy themselves and yet would stop to help me or answer a question. They also taught me a valuable lesson: A big hug is a powerful stress-reducer on a challenging day.

Cons

Goals of projects are sometimes under-communicated to key participants. Some meetings lacked focus and wandered off topic.

None

11 Other Employee Reviews for Virginia Department of Health (View Most Recent)

A Cancerous Organization Plagued by Incompetent and Dysfunctional Management

I worked at Virginia Department of Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the nurses, doctors, and nurse practitioners want to do a good job and do their best despite a poor workplace environment. The services provided to the general public are indispensable.

Cons

This is not even typical bureaucracy; it's really much worse. There is much vertical violence in the lower echelon of the organization, between acting managers and nurses and support staff. Higher level managers (directors and so forth) play musical chairs as no one seems to hold these positions for more than a few months. Thus, any unethical activity exhibited by lower management goes unnoticed, ignored, or simply unpunished.

Many of the acting managers are keen to the fact that they're simply not employable outside of this organization. Thus, it seems that they do whatever is necessary to maintain their pay grade and associated power. Abuse of power is used to intimidate (BULLY) or eliminate whoever, whenever. No one is safe, as management has:

-Fired a long-time worker while on medical leave.

-Falsely accused a worker of wrongdoing, firing him/her.

Both of the previously-alluded to employees were reinstated after further review. No punishment was passed over to management for their malicious intents and/or neglect. Additionally, the organization routinely abuses the cruel 12 - 18 probationary period to unload young nurses like contract employees (freeing up budget space by eliminating future overhead - this is their sad attempt at financial management) or to simply get rid of those they do not like. This makes me wish Virginia had unions, or something to PROTECT the worker, as no one else is going to do it.

This is a vile organization, but one of the few spots to practice public healthcare. Thus, many who want to get into the field end up here and leave quickly or are terminated. There is no money and insufficient services are ultimately provided to a community in desperate need. Both internally and externally, this organization is viewed as a joke but no one seems to do anything about it. It's sad, and it will take a huge scandal (and there will be one) for anyone to take notice.

I guess this one should go all the way upstairs:

Hey Gov. B: Clean house at VDH.

Great Experience

I worked at Virginia Department of Health

Pros

Provided great experience as a recent graduate.

Cons

Parking is not a paid employee benefit.

Great leadership