Excellent opportunity, and excellent workplace

Former Employee - Lawn and Garden Sales Associate
Former Employee - Lawn and Garden Sales Associate

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

The teamwork is bar none. Any questions, or help you need you can find. The in-house computer program for advancement and training is heads above the industry.

Cons

Dental. Part time associates are not offered it.

Allow for some kind of dental, regardless of cost to the associate, even if it is only a discount card.

Other Reviews for Walmart

Walmart is a great job to start at as a first job and has so many opportunities it can be your last job.

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love how they are willing to work with my schedule, I got as many hours as I wanted, my store always got good bonuses, and you can't get fired easily unless you do something extremely wrong like steal

Cons

Its busy so sosmetimes its hard to get recognition if you go above and beyond, angry customers that give you a hard time, getting scheeduled 5.5 hour or 6 hour shifts with only one 15min break

Part-Timers Bear Most Of the Brunt

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ashland, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ashland, KY (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some nice people. A lot of my coworkers were great. You get an employee discount.

Cons

Management is rude to employees. They will tell you to do something a certain way and if a customer wants it differently, the managers act like it is the employees' fault for not doing it in the first place.

Customers are terrible. They come in and lie about service so they will get free gift cards.

Hours are never what you expect. They had the part time workers working 40 or more hours and would only let full time workers have 32 hours. To me, if you expect that you will be working 28 hours or less, that is what they should give you. A lot of times, you are scheduled to work 3pm to Close. 'Close' is whenever the store manager thinks merchandise is straightened enough. You never know when you are leaving. I've worked from 2pm to 4am more than once.

They don't take safety seriously. If someone from OSHA is coming or arrives, they quickly want you to change anything that is a safety violation. They could care less any other time.

Worst of all, they try to get rid of people who have worked there awhile. I've known of more than one employee who was fired right before they were set to retire and withdraw their Profit Sharing.

Remember that your employees are people. They shouldn't be treated badly just to save money.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!