There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

'The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude' - de la Boetie (1552) Need I say more?

Current Employee - Department Manager of Garden Center in Plano, TX (US)
Current Employee - Department Manager of Garden Center in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- You can be exposed to far more industry which may give you the impression of "freedom." You can and may well encounter numerous high-level executives, even outside of Walmart. . . That may only be the one I work at.
- There are plenty of opportunities "to shine" but you will need to be given that chance (and staffing)
- Sometimes you will gain access to neat tools to operate the business though often there is a selfishness and neediness that comes with it.
- It potentially can improve resume. . . Potentially

Cons

- Most everything is smoke and mirrors
- Sometimes the most competent are taken advantage of and sometimes these same people will also undermine others because they believe the system weighs against them, just as much as those with seniority and higher-level managament have only managed to "keep it cool" (a very important process of the indoctrination process toward keeping the work flowing) to stay where they are.
- Anything and everything can be used against you if Management views you as a hindrance to the process of making money.
- Sometimes the operations are hectic and due to lack of staffing your expectations of customer service and taking on the responsibilities of the job can stretch time availability.
- You are entitled to take a break by law if you were hired on the basis of this benefit but you will often feel compelled not to, all the while subordinates understandably feel compelled to take it; sometimes this is an easy excuse to "pass the buck".
- I know this may sound paranoid but if things "appear up" for you, I would keep an eye on your back.
- People are paranoid and you may encounter genuine sociopaths; it's also a given that the Gervais Principle applies to Walmart, just like any other industry.
- Walmart has and will continue to use the legal system to increase profitability. Many times people that are in Section 8 housing will be hired by Walmart, who in turn gets money from the government. This isn't necessarily "bad" but it does weigh against those whom might be considered more qualified for the tasks at hand. This may also be a reason they would prefer to remove none ethnic management in favor of those that are within this hiring demographic. Overall this isn't bad for the company but when you are specifically paying for very expensive real estate near top 1-2% income percentile home owners, you probably want to cater to the demographics and expectation of how to relate to them.
- The grocery department holds a high priority because it is a big profit sector for Walmart. . . Good for Walmart though bad for other departments.

Yes it's important to cull the "bad apples" from any industry but it may also be important to consider what doesn't work and resolve the issues instead of putting salve over the sutures. Sometimes the development of PTSD can impact performance; I won't tell you how to run your business but I sure as heck will tell you how not to. Those within the company could possibly know who I am based off this posting. . . Sorry I'm not positive.

8432 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

byword of company is cheap - in everything they do. Overworked, under paid and understaffed

Current Employee - Overnight Cashier in Huntley, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Overnight Cashier in Huntley, IL (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The night shift crew are mostly hard workers, team players and good people to work with
    $1.50 / hour bonus for working 3rd shift
    Good company if you're a slacker - job performance doesn't as you'll never get fired unless you commit gross misconduct or break clear rules.

Cons

Business ONLY hires part time, yet demands FT availability and commitment.
    Very poor communication between management and staff, and esp between shifts
    Very slow to promote if at all, doesn't reward hard workers over slackers by giving better/more hours, FT, promotion or better raises.
    management keep their bonus' and numbers up by cutting hours and very basic costs. Our 'paid holiday's' are always balanced by shorting everyone 4- 8 hours the following week. Same with our 'My share' quarterly incentives. they always find a way to balance the books back to under budget.
    Often have to work without basic supplies being replenished - like floor soap, paper towels, shopping bags, replacement displays, etc.
    Corporate come up with ideas that aren't practical in real-life situations - they are out of touch with working a retail sales floor. They concentrate too much on reports and figures, stressing speed on paper over true efficiency by doing a job completely and correctly. this pushes staff to plug product on shelves, leave messes behind, skip necessary steps, sign off on MODS, inventory and reports when they haven't really been done, because someone above is pressuring them to do it FAST rather than RIGHT. more work in the long run.

EVERY one needs to work EVERY shift a few times a year anonymously at another store to keep in touch with reality. It's obvious most upper level and corp people have no idea what it's like to work the floor.
    Stop thinking like paper shufflers and think like a customer/ clerk. None of us will have jobs unless we make the customers happy and keep them spending $.
    Open up more FT opportunities, pay increases and incentives/ rewards to encourage the hard workers to stay. We've lost many really good, conscientious workers because they are treated no differently than the dead weight slackers.

Great job. Great manager.

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Coos Bay, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Coos Bay, OR (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the team I worked with, they were great people and I just wish I could've spent more time working there. I liked the position and the atmosphere.

Cons

The hours were late, and I had to commute. The pay could've been better and there was no opportunity for more hours.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart