There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Associate

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Great people and company to work for

Cons

Do not pay me enough

8536 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Fair and consistent reviews, but pay is not equivalent to work involved.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great management training programs now, despite growing pains in the past decade. They have a diverse group in their management, which is an asset to the communities in which they have stores. The experience of the management staff is sometimes lacking, but there are pockets of management out there that don't simply manage, but lead.

Cons

The "there is ample opportunity for everyone" mantra is a fallacy. Despite balancing work, school, and a family for three years to get both my bachelors in management and masters in business administration, the ROI on these degrees is 0% from Walmart. It is my opinion that they value diversity much more over education and experience. With nearly 10 years in management for them with an education to back it, and having applied for nearly 75 promotions, and sadly, I have only had 4 interviews for promotion. Each of these were given to a female or minority with less education and less experience. It's a no win situation, because who am I to fault them with their logic? If I were in the role of HR manager and I had candidates that had similar experience and education, I would pick the female or the minority candidate. In the first few interviews, I agreed with their decision, because I had not degree. In the last two decisions they made, I was simply an "also ran".

Details. The transparency from the home office is getting clearer by the minute. My experience in management has been that many in management simply get by with the help of their fellow managers. This is no longer the case. Now, with so much emphasis on performance, it's either lead well or get out of the way.

Ok but nothing great

Former Employee - ICS Associate in Hamilton (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - ICS Associate in Hamilton (New Zealand)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good ppl to work with. Set schedules for most positions

Cons

Most managers don't care about you or any situation you are going through in life. They don't know how to manage professionally. They show favoritism.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart