Walmart eCommerce

www.walmart.com
  www.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart eCommerce

2 years in at Walmart Global eCommerce --> momentum building

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

exciting to see talent density beginning to surge as company gets extremely picky about new hires
lots of growth opportunities around new platform (in all areas)
tangible signs of momentum across key metrics
Leadership team is clear about the vision

Cons

getting a little tight on space
no SF satellite office

Know we have to excel at the fundamentals but want to tackle non-linear growth strategies as soon as possible

205 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart eCommerce (View Most Recent)

One of the worst places I've ever worked for.

I worked at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

*Keep in mind this is from a engineering/QA/product mgmt POV:

- Plenty of room to rise up and get that title if you can last long
    - Most business partners are pleasant to work with
    - There are lots of good people there, but many have left in the last ~2-3 years so not sure if that's a pro anymore

Cons

*Keep in mind this is from a engineering/QA/product mgmt POV:

- Too many changes and its constant. They'll re-org every 1-1.5 years! People have had 5 different superiors in 1-2 years!
    - Morale is super low
    - Ridiculous timelines with ridiculous features with no resources
    - A bit like the blind leading the blind
    - No vision, and if there is/was it constantly changes
    - Some leadership and new folks they've hired since starting WalmartLabs are pretentious and not pleasant to work with.
    - Business partners often don't understand software development and the amount of time/resources it takes to build. I've been told, "well, aren't your agile? Doesn't that mean I will get my products even faster!"
    - No sense of change management whatsoever
    - Lots of politics
    - Some leaders are promoted so fast without much reason so they are not seasoned or groomed correctly
    - Benefits package compared to to other tech companies is a bit of a joke. Simply because it is retail.
    - Turnover is a huge issue.

If you're serious about catching up to competitors you have to stick to a vision and organization for 5 years+. Be willing to invest in technology, your people and expect mistakes and losses in your business for the years to come! You can't have your pie and eat it too.

Right hand does not know what left hand is doing - and worst overall benefits in tech industry

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Bruno, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Bruno, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Your co-workers are excellent engineers
    - Ample of opportunities to learn new things (@ only in selective teams)
    - Your work impacts millions of people everyday.

Cons

- Worst medical plan I have seen in 15 years of my carrer - my neighborhood grocery store has a better medical plan for its employees.
    - Medical plan is expensive too and benefits are way poorer (I bought mine directly with Kaiser than going through Walmart last week as I did not receive my plan medical cards after waiting for three months- Also buying direct has better coverage and almost the same price)
    - Pharmacy plan is useless (you can just go to Walmart pharmacy as that will be cheaper)
    - ESPP plan is a joke
    - Employee discount center is another joke (Costco has better prices for movie tickets/theme parks then employee discount center) - practically I have never heard any one bought or used walmarts employee discount center for anything as it is ridiculous
    - Registered holidays (only 6) and PTO including sick (only 20) are way below software company standards.
    - You will have to pay for lot of things out of your own pocket - Like if you loose your badge, you have to pay $25 to get a new one. Never heard of this one before till orientation in Walmart.com
    - Business Travelling expenses - they nickel and dime you for small stuff and for pretty much everything.
    - For internal information and intranet, their are 3-4 different websites. The internal information system is so messed up that I have practically stopped using it.
    - Enrolling to benefits and getting your medical cards is just a nightmare. Three months already and I have not received my medical plan cards yet.
    - Upper management has no idea what they are doing - They start a project with so much energy and before you know they shut it down as 6 months down the line they come to know that some other team in the company is doing the same thing.
    - KEEP IN MIND - $150K salary here = $120K in any other tech company(due to benefits and other programs) so do not get fooled for high salary offer.

- Please improve internal communication. You have no idea what your teams/staff is doing. Same work is done by not only two teams but multiple teams.
    - You can not treat engineers who make more than $100K and are highly educated the same way as you treat your retail employees who make 30K. If you want to treat everyone same, you better treat every one better.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart eCommerce