There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual

It's about leadership

Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The vision was exciting at first and I was proud to be a part of WaMu. I was able to do some of my best work, with some very creative and bright people.

Cons

Leadership--and by that I mean the C suite--got caught up in ego gratification and hubris. For the three to four years before the company went under it was all about the numbers.

Learn from your mistakes and surround yourself with people who tell you the truth ... and then resist the urge to run them off if you don't like what you're hearing.

352 Other Employee Reviews for Washington Mutual (View Most Recent)

Great company---Culture was very good, but failure at senior levels ran the Bank into the ground.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Encinitas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Encinitas, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Good pay, benefits, culture. Support in-house promotion vs. outside hiring unless. Excellent stock options and benefits made this a good place to work.

Cons

Failure to see that risky lending practices and a greed for money took over vs. doing the right thing for the customer and the employees ended in the Bank failing.

I think the Bank could have remained a strong and solid Bank if it wasn't for the loosing of lending guidlines and a "race to the bottom" to approve any and all loan applications. Housing prices, borrow incomes, and FICO scores, are always a snap shot in time---and while that is how all loans are u/w placing more conservative guidelines could have made all the difference!

Lot of growth opportunity

Former Employee - Business Banking Specialist
    Former Employee - Business Banking Specialist

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

They were growing extensively, lot of new product and new market. Employees were recognized for their performance and hard work.

Cons

Sometimes there was too much red tape to get things done. There could have been more training in some areas.

The company was bought by Chase and they have changed how the products are offered to different markets, and even the look of the financial centers.

There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual