Wayfair

www.wayfair.com
  www.wayfair.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair

Extremely transparent. Dynamic working culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The working atmosphere is is good. Colleagues are willing to help.
Flat management hierarchy. Manager are supportive.

Cons

There are still some old technology in use (but quickly being replaced by new technology)

More technology learning sessions

313 Other Employee Reviews for Wayfair (View Most Recent)

So boring, I quit

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Wayfair full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met some cool people there. I liked the book club. The HR department was top notch.

Cons

Nearly all tasks are isolated short tasks. Working at Wayfair is to software engineering what working in a factory is to architecture. Think about that.

The company's highest level likes to think of Wayfair as a "meritocracy", but anyone that understands hierarchy and power knows that meritocracies cannot exist. Power, no matter how it is acquired, begets power and thus all meritocracies instantly degenerate into power based hierarchies, where merit no longer plays a role. Wayfair is no different.

The software code-base is a mess. Things are badly organized because the top guy worked that way when it is was a tiny company and he doesn't seem to comprehend that what works for him does not work for everyone, even programmers that are better than he is.

Anyway, I soon came to realize that sleeping at my desk was the most likely future before me, so I quit.

Get rid of all of your managers and hire professionals.

Great learning opportunity for recent grads, but not a long term career path

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-interesting work w/ strong ownwership and responsibility
    -good people and company culture encouraging a work/life balance; very young
    -weekly one on one meetings with your direct manages to review work and development
    -reward top performers with compensation; some departments have put a strong emphasis on employee compensation
    -lots of PTO, adds up quickly over time
    -lots of independence

Cons

-while you have the opportunity to learn a lot with so much responsibility, there is not much true career development
    -many of the strategies seem to be very reactionary, comes from working at a fast pace, but means that you have to be ready to throw out your current goals and completely switch direction at a moment's notice

Invest more in employee salaries to discourage talented people to leave. Each time a position turns over, we waste time to find a replacement and train them.

There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair