There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

Poor decisions on who stays or goes...

I have been working at WebMD Health

Pros

Free water and coffee, plus a laptop.

Cons

They let go people who actually made a difference in the company while keeping dead weight around just because of $. Terrible raises this year too.

Before letting people go, why don't you find out what they actually do for the company first?

186 Other Employee Reviews for WebMD Health (View Most Recent)

Be prepared to tread water

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally great people working at the ground level. You'll become an adept at creating "something out of nothing" and keeping your cool in extreme situations. Some interesting products and projects. Free coffee.

Cons

I must solidly repeat the cries of cronyism that have been cropping up in the last few reviews. Do not ever expect to be treated fairly. Favoritism is shown toward those who can play politics and cliques well, which is forcing talent away at a rapid pace. After the layoffs there are still too many on staff who play CYA games instead of contributing to the company.

If you have any love for your people or even just the stock prices - please clear out the bad seeds and at least some of the politics and nonsense. Let people do their work without jumping through so many hoops. I have never seen a place that makes it so hard to perform a job.

Nepotism = No Trust

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office are nice
    Salary is competitive
    Strong workforce

Cons

How does the leading health information provider that sells space to the richest companies in the world still manage to fail?

As a former employee, let me explain how:

Nepotism. If you're considering WebMD and want my advice, my first answer would be a question "are you friends with any current director or VP?" If the answer is "no" I would simply keep looking. That one factor is the single biggest variable in your likelihood of success at WebMD. If you're not a friend, all your great ideas and energy will be seen as a threat. I've seen it over and over during my 3 year stint with the company. The Atlanta office is basically run like a government agency, the only difference are that the hours are longer and the work is more intense.

I read a Glassdoor review from a WebMD HR person and they nailed it. If you're a high achiever, and you're not someone's longtime friend, you'll be perceived as a threat. Forget about transparency on growth and development because there is none. If you work hard, you may get a an official email saying thanks, and sadly some sideways stares from your supervisor. Work hard enough, just not TOO hard. Ask to grow, but don't seem ambitious. Yes, it's very complicated, but the downward trajectory of the company is very simple.

For all those hoping that having a "great brand on my resume" will make up for this malaise, you should probably also consider the opportunity cost to your career as you stagnate for years working so hard to receive so little in return, with no promise of a brighter future.

Take a chance and hire someone who's not your buddy. Get out of your comfort zone. This is a publicly traded company. Start acting like it.

There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!