There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Great coworkers, bad customers

Current Employee - Cashier and Customer Service in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
Current Employee - Cashier and Customer Service in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company's commitment to "team member happiness" makes this job a lot easier to deal with! The management is great, the coworkers are all friendly and everyone's pretty laid back. During the holiday season we often would get free lunch provided, a relaxation room was set up for us to unwind during the chaos, and managers seem genuinely interested and concerned in your wellbeing.
The job itself is easy. The discount is great and really the "whole checkbook" rumor about whole foods isn't true if you buy the right things. If you only buy snacks and frozen foods you will definitely spend more than you would at other conventional stores but if you buy fruits and vegetables, milk, and bread you will be paying about the same for much better food.

Cons

I'm sure this varies with region but many of the customers a cashier has to deal with on a day to day basis are awful. Perhaps because the food is pricey and they expect a lot of the employees to serve their needs. I've been in customer service all my life from waitressing, retail, coffee shop barista, etc and I've never experienced such snooty, rude, and even downright mean customers than I have at Whole Foods. I've witnessed employees being yelled and cussed at by customers for the most trivial matters. Over Thanksgiving one cashier was called the female derogatory term "ct". Customers also tend to have strong opinions about quality food and can become quite preachy.
This is not to say we don't see a lot of amazing customers too. We get a lot of nice hippies and alternative types too who are really friendly and appreciative. but sometimes they just can't outweigh the bad customers.
Whole Foods also has a weird policy about a "rotating schedule". I've never understood why but no employee, full or part time, is allowed to have a regular schedule. Which means each week is a toss up. This makes it really hard to have much of a life outside of work, especially for people with families.

This is my advice to upper management since it all just go straight to the top.
1. Allow employees to have regular schedules.
2. Pay us more. Team member positions at Whole Foods are treated like professional careers and that is what customers expect out of us, to be professionals. One worker can only take the job so seriously while being paid so little. $10 an hour may seem like a lot for a cashier level job but there's a lot more expected of us than your average cashier at a conventional grocery store.

1500 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Guest service driven, lack of direction from leader ship

Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great training on eating healthy, good benefits, employee discount

Cons

Store management lacks skills, a lot of work. no overtime allowed.

Not bad, but not what they pretend to be.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun people, decent pay for what the job is. Nice benefits for a field that traditionally won't provide them for employees. Employees get a discount card that almost makes it affordable to shop in the store.

Cons

If you don't "drink the Kool-Aid" you might be rolling your eyes a lot. There is an unspoken expectation that WF becomes the focus of your life. Management micro-manages staff to the point of idiocy. Try way too hard to seem hip and trendy.

Stop trying to force your staff to be WF evangelists. The store carries some good stuff and they do some good things, but in the end, they are just like any other corporation concerned with their bottom line. I wish management would own that sentiment and just stop pretending they are the little co-op from Austin. They are a giant corporation now, time to be honest about it.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market