There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

If you like big companies that are over processed this is your place

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of smart, talented people within the organization.

Cons

Lots of swirl - takes weeks to get something finalized and approved but it will most likely be changed the day after it gets published. People bounce from brand to brand within corporate thinking that what worked in one brand will work in another even though they are the same demo. LOTS of politics. People also aren't friendly. The first two weeks of work no one introduced themselves to me in meetings or elsewhere even though they new I was brand new.

616 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

After a blissful decade, I am now embarrassed to work at Williams-Sonoma.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Great Discount
    -Mostly Fun, Energetic, Passionate Co-Workers
    -Awesome Products

Cons

For the first time in a decade of tenure, this week I became embarrassed to work for Williams-Sonoma. I don’t say that lightly-for many years I have laughed when recruiters from other companies have tried to lure me away, but I always knew that Williams-Sonoma Inc. was the gold standard. Not any more.

It’s not that Williams-Sonoma was a perfect workplace; like anywhere, there have always been pros and cons. The difference was that previously there was not the disconnect that exists today between upper management and the field. There have been signs of these issues for over a year, but this week it became clear that the Williams-Sonoma culture that I used to love so much is in the past tense. Despite the fact that my store is on target for all payroll costs and earnings YTD, I and every single one of my fellow GM’s have been directed to cut our payroll this week and next to a minimum that we normally use during the slowest times of the year. I run a mid-volume store and tomorrow, a Saturday in December, I will run the store with myself and ONE other person all day. All of the things that my company has always said separates us from the competition is out the window. Need a gift wrap? Sorry, you’ll have to take some ‘giftwrap to go’. Buying a 15 piece set of cookware? Sorry, I won’t have staff to help you to your car because I literally will not have one extra person to do so. Need some one-on-one help with some new cutlery? Maybe Sur la Table can help you. No customer will be greeted when they enter the store tomorrow because I and my one other person will be at the register all day. I hope I don’t have to have a bathroom break. Incidentally, the previous guidelines from the same Saturday in previous years would call for 8-12 people working at any given time.

We had a conference call earlier this week with an EVP of the company in which she demonstrated, with breathtaking clarity, her utter lack of understanding of our operational practices. She was literally instructing every GM in the company about computer processes for payroll management that don’t exist. Disturbing. I would crawl over broken glass for my DM and RVP, but there is a point at which the corporate leadership has to lead the culture, or else the culture dies. It’s dead.

At this point I don't even know where to start. See above.

Fear and Loathing at Williams Sonoma

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Great views from the Cafe

Cons

Company is run by fear of dictatorial President, who is actively closed to conversation
    Arthritic processes
    Conspiratorial environment
    Detest change and risk averse
    Competing visions of future between CEO and Pres
    People last
    Dollar is first, last and everything
    Slashed budgets and headcount from 2008 never reinstated with huge increase in workloads

BoD needs to kick out Pres before any change for the better can be realized

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!