Decent employer but their lack of technology leads to no job security

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
Current Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits packages
Decent wages
Large company lends to mobility

Cons

Very disorganized. They are bolstering what numbers they have to try to be acquired. Hopefully Verizon or AT&T will purchase them so their customers will get some desperately needed network upgrades. We are forced selling over-priced, sub par products with unrealistic goals. Marketing sets quotas but are not accountable to their own financial quotas. The system is very corrupted.

Dont let marketing set quotas. All of the weight rests on the heads of the sales groups and marketing should be a part of the financial expectations, not setting them. Sales becomes the scapegoat of marketing under this system.

Other Reviews for Windstream

Not a good place for an engineer

Current Employee - Market Engineer  in  Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Market Engineer in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than a year

Pros

none. Everyone in my department is looking for work elsewhere.

Cons

Since Windstream acquired my company, they have put me in a position that has nothing to do with my background and training (Network Engineer). They have me doing budgeting and finance work, but refuse to give me the proper training (or any training) to do my new job, They are only concerned with immediate profits and dividends, they are not concerned with having a stable network and happy customers.

Listen to your technical engineers. When they are all dissatisfied, your business is not sustainable.

Windstream sucks in the West

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fortune 500 experience
    Salary can be decent if you negotiate
    Nice office

Cons

Poor infrastructure - single switch, no EoC, no fiber, no data centers. Mostly reselling AT&T, AboveNet, XO, and others. Pricing is usually high. "Why should I buy AT&T from you?". Very little name recognition. Tedious and confusing sales systems. No usable CRM. Terrible record for implementing successfully. Small install base and few are reference-able. All problems roll back downhill to the sales people with ineffective managerial support.

Demand infrastructure investment immediately. Learn how to differentiate talented people and give them incentive to want to stick around. Recognize the challenges and set realistic, achievable goals for reps. Reduce the environment of constant anxiety. Fire dead weight quicker.

There are newer employer reviews for Windstream.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!