As Good As It Gets

Current Employee - Editor  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

If you must endure corporate culture, Yahoo has one of the best environments in the Bay Area. The main campus mimics the layout of a university, but its maturity doesn't have the patchwork layout of other newer campuses. There's something to be said about having a decent gym, grounds, and people who are cordial to one another.

Cons

As with any company that has been around for a long time, Yahoo takes a while to shed dead weight. Part of that is indicative of a lack of nimbleness, as well as the Silicon Valley fantasy of the flat structure. Besides constantly seeking new talent, there needs to be an equal measure of in-house development of talent. New managers should be required to undergo leadership training, and promotions should not go hand-in-hand with seniority.

Yahoo should be a content company. Period. It has the power and perhaps the responsibility to reshape the new media landscape.

Other Reviews for Yahoo

Really good company with potential to be Great.

Current Employee - Interaction Designer  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

First and foremost, the people here are really great. In my experience there is very little politics and everyone seems to be playing on the same team. That is refreshing. It is also nice to see a company so supportive of a work/life balance. Yahoo! generally treats their employees well through good perks, great benefits and lots of 'small things' that mean a lot. It is a very social atmosphere and I consider my co-workers my friends. This makes it really hard when they choose to leave though.

Cons

Projects take a long time to launch. There are many re-org's that affect company direction. Sometimes mandates seem not thought through enough. There seem to be a lot of technical limitations that are legacy and hard to get around in a company of this size.

It's frustrating because on the inside, I feel that we are doing really great things...but it seems like on the outside none of this is being recognized. We are constantly being clobbered by analysts and wall street.

A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Technical Yahoo! QA Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Yahoo! QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

less work pressure. great work environment. Lot of press coverage! Good benefits.

Cons

feels like working for underdog. project deadlines not met. no free food.
    technically challenging work may not always be around. some goof ups from management

they have to be more strict in executing against the strategy and get more done from employees.. increase salaries and benefits.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!