There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

As Good As It Gets

Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

If you must endure corporate culture, Yahoo has one of the best environments in the Bay Area. The main campus mimics the layout of a university, but its maturity doesn't have the patchwork layout of other newer campuses. There's something to be said about having a decent gym, grounds, and people who are cordial to one another.

Cons

As with any company that has been around for a long time, Yahoo takes a while to shed dead weight. Part of that is indicative of a lack of nimbleness, as well as the Silicon Valley fantasy of the flat structure. Besides constantly seeking new talent, there needs to be an equal measure of in-house development of talent. New managers should be required to undergo leadership training, and promotions should not go hand-in-hand with seniority.

Yahoo should be a content company. Period. It has the power and perhaps the responsibility to reshape the new media landscape.

1795 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Yahoo! Good place to work in, but management needs improvement!!

Current Employee - Technical Lead QA in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead QA in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

The work environment is the best and good for innovation and work.
    Work environment is kept open and the management takes are of being open and of a joyful nature. The career oppurtunity in Yahoo! is tremendous, if we look at th way we are growing in certain areas. This develops a good environment, as personal growth is also given time for the individual. Compensation and perks are also great, we have facilities like pick and drop from the home and also a work from home culture, which lets us do our personal work, if required. Recognition in the form of awards is also a good way to check the progress of the person. Top management recognizes you for good work done, when it does proliferate up from the leads and the manager.

Cons

Communication between the teams and a rising insecurity within the members of what will happen.
    The environment induces a feeling of well being and gives us time to innovate and relax, the only problem being that due to the realse cycles being too short and not enough staff trained to keep up with the same, it tends to become a place where the innovation is stifled. Only some whose projects are not active make the innovation. While the rest of the people are given away to obscurity. This is a practise which makes the people feel that they are not actually working on what they wish to and make them dull. Instead of being productive, they start to become unproductive in the short run itself. Awards have started getting too politically motivated and go to those who know how to market themselves and not to the exact deserving candidates. Due to the influx required to fill places, we have started lowering the standards at which we choose candidates. This should not be done anytime, as it will start getting more undeserving candidates, who are more interested in the perks rather than the work.

Please be more communicative. Also, try and build an environment of sharing within the teams, instead of keeping things hidden from one team to the next. Duplicacy and waste of time is the only thing that ensues from this. Also, keep the rewards and compensation system transparent so that there is no resentment in the engineerings as to why they were not deserving for the same.

Great company, wonderful people, just needs to focus innovation around mass consumption.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

It's amazing to have the reach of working on the world's largest website. Sorry, our competitors' users navigating through page after page of search results aren't comparable when it comes to the impact Yahoo! has on the average consumer.

Cons

Still too much focus on playing catch-up and not enough on figuring out what's next. Attempts at incubating these types of killer apps have been failures. Employees need the freedom to invent and launch the types of apps that competitors and startups are creating first, though most importantly they need direction on what will be compelling for a mass audience. Most hacks and "innovation" so far would be hardly seen (or used... or understood) outside of Silicon Valley or the tech community.

Focus on monetization of the installed base.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo