Yahoo
3.4 of 5 1,607 reviews
www.yahoo.com Sunnyvale, CA 5000+ Employees

The dinosaur of the Internet that still kicks ass

Producer (Current Employee)
Munich (Germany)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Opportunity to work with world-class technology & people
- Good & cooperative atmosphere among colleagues
- International environment without any prejudice against foreigners
- Good hardware equipment for all business units & easy software approvals
- Nice & modern office in the city center (Munich, Germany)
- Voucher coupons for lunch breaks (probably only in Germany)
- Cool social area for breaks including a PS3 running FIFA soccer, Foosball table, Tschibo coffee machines
- A lot of meeting rooms including two hi-end video conferencing setups (Munich, Germany)

Cons- Dishonest managers especially at the mid-level who think they will never need to work again after being promoted.
- Good tech people get promoted to managers, get a 1-week manager-training and fail badly.
- Reward system not working. People getting promoted by threatening to leave. No transparency or career development.
- Yearly Focal performance review process is a mess where you colleagues can really hurt you. It's not used to develop people but to annoy people so much that they leave on their own.
- Frustrating re-orgs or unnecessary business unit naming changes
- Wrong people get hired as everyone is scared to lose the headcount approval and not many people apply. HR support is almost non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school. Especially the mid-level management looks like a bunch of control-freaks who think they can achieve their goals by pressuring their people instead of improving the process. Stop playing politics and silo-wars between business units but build partnerships. Show true leadership by getting your hands dirty and actually do something. My review is 4 of 5 as I think this mid-level management problem is wide-spread across the IT industry.

Awesome!

Tech Lead (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: 1. Freedom 2. Great Work culture 3. No Boss Culture Cons: 1. Not growing much. 2. Wrong Strategies Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place!

Assistant Producer (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Yahoo full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great environment and perks with great people. Great connections for… Cons: None everything was great about the company as you work… Advice to Senior Management: Great People Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Yahoo.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer. All reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees.