Environmental Resources Management

Updated 11 September 2014
2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor

Current Employee - Associate Scientist  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Sydney

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Salary was allright but unrealistic given hours you had to work

Cons

Pressure is constant with no appreciation from senior management

Get real -learn how to communicate

Undue Pressure on the Consultants, Office atmosphere can be political.

Former Employee - Associate Engineer
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked on some very cool projects and learned a lot in my experience. ERM has big clients that need assistance with big projects. It can be very cool to participate. There are still a few very smart people left in the ranks that are willing to take a junior consultant under their wing. I owe my current position (at another company) to the great project experience I got at ERM.

Compensation is so-so, raises are based on annual inflation +/- a fraction of a percent depending on annual reviews (how billable you were the past year).

Cons

The company is run by investors whose primary goal is for the company to be as profitable as possible. This puts stress on all the employees there to be a billable as possible. Billability goals of 95% or 100% are typical for ERM consultants (you have to be working on something that ERM can charge for at least 38 hours per week). If you consistently work 60 hours per week, don't expect to get much more than a "thanks for helping our office's billability numbers". The burden is on each employee to meet the goal, otherwise you attract negative attention and predictable conversations with management. This is BS especially for the entry-level workers who have little to no control over what is handed to them. It is expected that you work over your 40 hours to meet these goals. Workers get stressed and it affects their personal lives if they're not billable enough. Project Managers get stressed out over this too. A lot of stress in general.
    Office atmosphere can be cold and political; I attribute this atmosphere to the stresses listed above
    As others have said, development of junior employees can be better. Opportunities for classes and training are available, but that may take away from your billability, which can be problematic

Great Work Environment

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great People, Get to learn a lot of things from very experienced people. Awesome team-one of the best in the field
    Super perks for employees. Can learn a lot. Helpful friends and peers

Cons

Salary is really low. Lot of travel. Not challenging. Work requires very little technical skill. Sometime monotonous nature of work.

Need to understand the needs of the employees. The employer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Environmental Consultancy

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Technical Exposure, Amazing working environment, Flexible Work Life balance

Cons

Work Life Balance & Compensation

A good company falling apart

Former Employee - Senior Geo Consultant  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Senior Geo Consultant in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The old company´s reputation attracts interesting clients and projects to work with. A good place to learn with good senior consultants before goes to develop your career in another company.

Cons

Awful work environment leading to moral and professional harassment. Despite the claim for ethical policies, it is not seriously addressed in this office.
    Technical expertise is not the key driver but sales and profitability.
    Career progression is not clear and it seems you must be match to a partner or group of to be promoted.
    High turnover rates for junior and senior staff.

Please eat humble pie.

Global vision of the company is good, Atlanta office not so good

I worked at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

As a global firm, this is a good place to get experience working on a variety of projects. They are very safety conscious and encourage employees to be aware of surroundings when working offsite. They give money to help environmental programs overseas. I definitely was impressed by the leadership outside of the Atlanta office. They really seemed to want to get junior staff plugged into cutting edge projects.

Cons

Leadership in Atlanta would refuse to communicate with staff, local HR representative told me very blatantly that I was "a trouble maker" for asking for constructive criticism and bringing up gender/salary questions. Many people left the same year I did because local leadership performed unethically and made allowances for behaviors by staff which was offensive and against corporate policies. They expect you to be "100%" billable which means working in excess of 50 hours or more. In December I worked two 80 hour weeks and was not given a day off or compensated financially afterwards.

Your Atlanta office has received negative reviews during private surveys. However, when people offer suggestions to make things better, we have been punished. That is not the way to retain employees nor does it bring out the best in staff. Stop covering up for office managers and HR staff who you know have performed badly.

Great place to work in with challenging and interesting projects

Former Employee - Intern  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are a variety of projects to work on which will allows you grow your knowledge, skills and experience. Great colleagues and mentors made the whole experience a positive one.

Cons

I did not come across any cons in the time I worked there. On the whole, I thought that the management was approachable and receptive to feedback.

As aforementioned, I have a generally good opinion of the management.

Sweatshop with Disfunctional Management and Culture

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

Pros

Interesting projects that provide technical challenges, decent benefits consistent with other large public companies, decent work environment, support staff that wants to be helpful.

Cons

Ineffectual management with unrealistic demands and expectations, poor quality work product, very risk-adverse company perspective, management greed is at the expense of the workers, burdensome policies and procedures, unrealistic company growth metrics, high staff turnover (> 17%), several (but not all) management in western division exhibit questionable ethics and will lie to you and others to meet their personal objectives, no continuity with project teams and staffing due to high attrition and pressure to be billable, performance metrics used to deny and punish rather than reward and motivate. Worst place I have ever worked; management cannot be trusted.

Pressure on individuals to meet sales goals creates competitive atmosphere among coworkers leading to staff doing what is best for them, and not what is in the best interest of clients or the company.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

-Great team
    -Friendly atmosphere in the London office, I had a global role where I regularly interacted with people from all levels, and I found that everyone was always extremely welcoming, willing to help, and down to earth, regardless of seniority.
    -Genuinely flexible working hours

Cons

-Be prepared to put in a lot of hours!

Working in sustainability proves unsustainable

Current Employee - Staff Environmental Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Environmental Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

- One of the more accommodating companies I've worked for with regards to working remotely.
     - Office building is in a super convenient location for public transit, and an unlimited Orca (public transit) card is provided.
     - Colleagues are hard-working and smart.

Cons

- In order to meet your "billability goals" (huge in consulting) you'll be working unpaid overtime. (Potentially lots of it)
     - Sick time counts against you. While it's part of a benefits package, in order to meet your billability goal, you'll have to make that time up with, you guessed it, unpaid overtime.
     - There's little or no incentive to working efficiently, you'll still have to find work to fill those hours. (Even though it's a salaried position, every time card must have 40 hours or more on it.)
     - Even those at the lower levels (CL1, CL2, CL3) who receive bonuses, it's nowhere near compensating for the unpaid overtime spent.
     - Wages are not competitive. The salary I receive is not commensurate with the cost of living in this city. Seattle just passed a $15/hr minimum wage, which, after the unpaid overtime, tracks closely to (and some weeks is greater than) what I take home.

The key to retention is not better training, it's respecting work/home boundaries and not expecting those who work 20 hours over the weekend to still put in 40 hours M-F.

If you're sending someone into the field on your project, it behooves you to ensure they are prepared. Rather than ask them if they've got it all, take a shot at bullet-pointing the different tasks that you expect to be completed. Even better, prepare a field memo of the different tasks. Those PMs who do this are so much easier to work for.

Just think of this - if you're building (on) years of CSM, and the results matter, applying an anxiety iron is not the solution. Instead of "are you ready? Why aren't you ready?", maybe try "here's a list of things I thought would be helpful as you _________(develop wells, collect soil samples, etc)."

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!