Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros:
  • "I worked on some of the most interesting projects"
    in 10 reviews
  • "well known company in legal and oil and gas industries"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Poor

Associate Scientist (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

ProsSalary was allright but unrealistic given hours you had to work

ConsPressure is constant with no appreciation from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real -learn how to communicate

Strategic focus sometimes got in the way of project work (gotta collect those bills and focus on key sectors)!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management

ProsGood atmosphere to work in and support by the local partners. Most of the staff (especially senior) were good mentors and willing to help out. Challenging work and lots of opportunities to grow.

ConsSalary is just average. Technical ability appears to be less important than selling ability. Company regions are not consistent with bonus pool or pay causing some resentment. Would have liked less pushing on bill collection by technical staff.

Great people, reasonable opportunities, OK pay.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

ProsThe company is starting to melt its regional differences and develop a coherent culture. The people in general are really nice to work with and there are challenging opportunities if you seek them out.

ConsPay is comparable to other similar firms but if you're in this industry you know it's not the best. Bonuses are not that good. Promotions become more difficult as you move up as the company has a relatively flat structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to demand high billability and quality product, try to reward employees more. Concentrate on making training relevant for each person who must attend.

Great people, great projects, can be overly bureaucratic

Consultant Level II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsERM employs some great people and this really makes the place. Most of the partners are very friendly and the company as a whole can be very supportive (they certainly were for me, however I've heard differently from other people).
I've had the opportunity to work on some really fascinating projects and get a lot of client facing time despite my junior level (contrary to what some other reviews suggest).
If you put the effort into "selling" yourself within the company and pushing for opportunities to work on different things it's a really great place to work, however people who are less forward seem to have had a much worse experience.

ConsMassive bureaucracy at upper levels can make doing anything difficult.
Some senior partners are just old boys who seem to do little more than keep their seat warm (however others are really good and hopefully symptomatic of a "new breed"). Internal politics can be a nightmare with each partner effectively sitting on their own personal fiefdom - some partners make everything easy but others seem deliberately obstructive.
Pay rises are paltry and you'll quickly find your salary is waaaaaaaaaay below industry standard and you have to fight hard to get anything like a fair paycheck. If you don't have support from one or more partners then forget it.
Getting a promotion can be tough unless you have a partner on your side to fight your case.
Company does not have consistent process and systems across regions. Attempts to correct this seem to make things worse rather than better.
Chargeout rates are much higher than competitors, which given the lower salaries is a bit of an irritant. Management claim the increased rates are because ERM is better than it's competitors, which is fundamentally untrue because there are plenty of excellent consultants working at other consultancies (that's not to say that ERM is worse than its competitors of course).

EHS Commodity Sellers

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge size clients. International presence. Some (rare) very highly skilled talent

Cons- Claim to be on the sustainability track = All talk, no nationwide growth strategy, little results. Most senior hires did not last a year before leaving... Huge road blocks internally
- Commodity EHS provider with a squeeze on human resource and very high billable rates.
- Career growth is pathetic, have not learned a thing in 7 years.
- Salaries are miserable and annual bonus are a joke. Expect to get a flat 1-2% per year and a $500 annual bonus if your manager are not promoting your case (12 hours work days efforts for 12 months!)
- Revolving doors at many offices due to poor leadership...

Advice to Senior ManagementVision to become a Billion dollar company is blurring top management. Exploiting people is a good thing but need to give back one way or the other... I have not encountered such bitterness to my other 3 former FT500 employers as much as with ERM...

Hard to believe in a global recognition

Tech Lead (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Prossome senior consultants really do a great job despite the mismanagement, bureaucracy and no administrative support

ConsMy 5 years experience ERM Brazil was definitely very enlightening!

I can not understand the criteria for partner selection: all of them with little or no knowledge about environmental issues and poor leadership.

The unique partner ability that I was could identify was mismanagement.

Rare senior consultants know what they are doing in the midst of so much bureaucracy and mismanagement.

No administrative area features professional work. It is total improvisation all the time. Health and safety is a big scam. Work environment is hostile and hysterical, far from being competitive, and stimulated by partners.

Hard to believe that ERM claims to have a global recognition when I see the same problems in other ERM offices in other countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that ERM partners do not hear any advice

Good place to learn, but not to stay - top heavy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is involved in a lot of global projects with some noteworthy clients, so there is work with professionals with different backgrounds from all over the world. The project scopes and clients vary, and you are able to learn a lot of different things in different sectors. For the most part, there are a lot of smart people who are willing to provide guidance, feedback and insight on your work. It is safe to say, that the majority of the people you work with make your work day.

ConsThere does not seem to be a succession plan or a development path, as it appears that all junior level employees are easily replaceable. There's no room to grow as a junior level employee; it seems like only senior level consultants and partners are hired in order to drum up business with new clients - this leads to a logjam at the top, and nobody moves up. The ultimate focus is on being billable, but with the bill rates being so high, it is difficult to spend time to learn your craft, which causes very high stress situations. As sr. managements focuses on retaining clients, it seems project managers are placed on projects where they have no technical expertise in, causing for confusion and panic.

When it gets busy, the office becomes hectic and stressful, with unrealistic timelines due to the high bill rates and low budget provided (done to stay competitive with the rest of the industry). However, when business is slow, there is a fight for precious billable hours, and menial work is assigned. In both scenarios, the goal is to be as billable as possible, which leads to a tense work environment and low employee morale.

It appears that the salary is not competitive with industry standard, but the promise of "raises and bonuses" make them competitive - not exactly true as voiced by other reviews here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop junior staff and from within, and invest in the futures with the company - it may seem like hiring from the outside is quicker an d better, but in the long run, this may prove to be a negative. Provide them with opportunities to learn their craft and hone their skills. Provide opportunities for staff to grow, instead of just typecasting them to one specific type of work.

Experience with ERM

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

ProsI have no pros. It's a cheap, terrible company.

ConsI interviewed with this company and didn't get the job, which is fine. But they would not pay my travel expenses so I ate $800! Don't ever, ever interview or work for this company.

Above average

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects.
Good career progression.

ConsAverage salary and limited benefits.
No Overtime or allowances.

Great Place to work

Accountant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexible schedule and great place to work. Full of fun with great people

ConsCompensation should reflect on industry standard

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Resources Management reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Environmental Resources Management CEO John Alexander. All 102 reviews are posted anonymously by Environmental Resources Management employees.