Equifax
www.equifax.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Equifax Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014
Equifax – West Des Moines – “Datavision now Equifax office 4300 Westown Prkwy”

Equifax Chairman and CEO Rick Smith

Rick Smith

Pros:
  • "They offer flexibility in working conditions, and there is a good work-life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Stable company with good benefits"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "CEO and senior management are bullies and needs a lesson in humility"
    in 12 reviews
  • "lack of transparency from upper management, hard work and talent does not get rewarded"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Be ready to feel used and always afraid of losing your job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Equifax as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe remodel has made the work space much more pleasant, bright and useful. If you happen upon one of the few "good" bosses, you can learn a lot, and have opportunities to prove your abilities and advance.

ConsIf you get stuck with a bad boss, you will spend every single day wondering when you'll be let go. You will never be listened to, you will be accused and used as a scapegoat to the boss' superiors. You will never have an opportunity to advance, no matter how hard you work, and worst of all, you won't be able to move to a different department because your boss' approval is necessary.

This company no longer does direct hiring with rare exception. They use contractors like slaves (working just like an employee, but to a higher standard of performance, no benefits, no job security and considerably lower pay). Contractors are left out of important meetings, they are not recognized for individual or team achievements, they are left off of company-wide invitations to things as trivial as parking-lot cookouts and department contests and games On the rare occasion that lunch is catered for the *entire building,* contractors are not invited (and expressly told not to eat!!) even though these contractors may have worked with the company for a year or more, If there are leftovers, managers may tell the contractors to go forage for the scraps. This is not an exaggeration. This actually happened to me and several of my teammates in our department. (And let me further explain: we work beside and with employees, on the same work, all the time. We are indistinguishable from employees, except for the fact that we are paid from an agency.)

Equifax subscribes to the LEAN business concept, which means that they are constantly piling more work on fewer and fewer employees and contractors, then laying off or firing the unnecessary workers, then occasionally calling them back after a few months of drowning in work overflow.

In the last round of layoffs and firings in my old department, the least tenured employee laid off had been with Equifax for eight years. The rest had been with the company for at least 20 years and had moved to GA from NY when their jobs relocated years ago.

The work environment is super high stress because you're being monitored ALL of the time. Not only is your work and computer use understandably scrutinized, but the walls have ears; meaning that if you want to have a conversation that is not monitored and/or recorded, you have to go to a certain corner of the employee cafe. You'll know it when your boss takes you there to talk about something that might help you, but which she can't be caught saying.

This company has zero loyalty. They foster the very worst kind of corporate atmosphere. Truly, they are a machine where employees (even departmental directors) are unhappy and insecure in their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think it's even worth my time to offer advice to management, partly because they are often under the same pressures as the employees, but also because, even if they care, they are essentially powerless to make changes. All directives trickle down from the upper, upper management and when a director has any latitude, it is tempered by LEAN demands, which stifle all creativity, process improvements (beyond firing/laying off), innovations, and significant changes.

Yeah, maybe

Senior Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat data to analyze: if you want "big data", Equifax has it. Really smart co-workers, some of whom will bend over backwards to be helpful.

ConsSales/revenue-driven company to exclusion of all else. Management continually re-organizing. Maintaining stock price is paramount. Long term plans sound good but appear to lack the "voice of data customer": management 'sees' the future but doesn't hear the voice of employees actually using/working with the data.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you'd only listen to the people working with the data, you'd know a lot more about EFX's potential. As it is, management appears to hear only what it wants to hear.

Some interesting work, but fighting the bureaucracy is tiring sometimes.

I have been working at Equifax full-time

ProsIt is a stable place to work. People who start tend to stay for a long time. There is internal mobility, in that you can switch jobs. They offer flexibility in working conditions, and there is a good work-life balance. The culture is a traditional 9-5.

ConsThere are limited opportunities for moving up due to the fact that people don't leave very often, and there is not a lot of growth. Bureaucracy is difficult to work with in a lot of cases, especially legal.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in current technology initiatives.

VP Technology

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Equifax full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent leadership team with great financial discipline

ConsMiddle management is not empowered

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce number of senior executives and create more empowerment in the ranks

Smart and dedicated staff, growing market, however immature products and services

Sales Director (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid industry reputation, experienced and motivated people, and good training

ConsLack of patience by executives to build the business and execute strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your people and solutions and give them time to execute the business plan

Good work, challenging leadership

Mid-level Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEquifax is a solid company that has been around for over 100 years and provides a stable work environment.

ConsSome senior leaders have been around too long and seem to continue to be promoted based on seniority rather than merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry an occasional bottom up performance evaluation. I think you will be shocked at what your work place has to say about some of the managers.

Sales - Technology and Data

Technology Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Equifax full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIndustry Leader, Rock solid IT stability, Solid financial performance

ConsTend to lean on data sales over technology solutions to drive revenue. Technology should be viewed as the method to embed the data.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue Tenure and invest in LME through the addition of staff to promote relationships with third party software providers.

Great opportunity for growth & recognition

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than a year

ProsEquifax provides a great opportunity for growth within the company for high performers. They value experience as well as welcome and support innovative ideas. Equifax rewards employees for big achievements and provides recognition that lends itself to great morale. They are good at communicating the status of the company with employees are are very transparent into what's going on within the company - whether it's exciting things or obstacles we need to overcome.

ConsCorporate policies can slow down processes at time - just like any other large company. The new program called "Connections" was intended to provide employees insight into their career opportunities in the company, but has ended up being more discouraging as you see how "low" you are rather than seeing that possibilities to move up. However, this is actually not representative of how the company provides opportunities - there are a lot of possibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKill the "Connections" program.

Overall experience was good. Corporate culture is still a bit old school. Processes and procedures evolving but behind.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Equifax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid company, great executive leadership, strong financials.

ConsProcesses and procedures dated, still very manual by industry standards,

Advice to Senior ManagementLess reactivity. Strive to establish process standards what will promote a smooth and sustainable operating rhythm.

Great!

Intern (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Equifax as an intern for less than a year

Prospeople seemed happy and learned a lot

ConsToo many hours but okay

Worked for Equifax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Equifax reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Equifax CEO Rick Smith. All 171 reviews are posted anonymously by Equifax employees.