Esri Reviews

276 reviews filtered by
3.3
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no career path - pick your life's work and you will be just fine (in 18 reviews)

• No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company culture, passionate people and exciting work!

Current Employee - Solution Engineer
    Current Employee - Solution Engineer

I have been working at Esri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, smart, driven & passionate employees, good upper management, good benefits

Cons

Little room for advancement, very horizontal company structure

Advice to Management

Have better communication on overall company strategy/road map with your employees

2. Great organization with smart people.

Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The campus is beautiful and we have pretty good IT equipment. The holidays are good. Love the fact we get MLK day off. Not many companies recognize this as a holiday. Profit sharing is awesome. Change to vesting as schedule is nice for 401k and profit sharing. You are fully vested after 3 years used to 7 years which was ridiculous. Nice to see corporate can make some tough decisions and get rid of dead weight like in HR and Marketing. Hope there can be more decisions done in the future.

Cons

Wish we had more sick time. We only get 5 days. 2 weeks would be nice. Communication is getting better but needs to improve.

Corporate is too involved in daily things like promotions and some hiring decisions so things slow down because of this. Career path is ok. You have to make your own.

Would be nice if there was a budget for employee recognition activities. A lot of managers have to pay for this out of their own pockets. I feel bad as Esri isn't to competitive salary wise but if you have a good manager they recognize the importance and they do it. But would be nice if the company had a budget for this.

Merit increases are low. Expect 3% - 4%. To get large pay increases you have to get promoted or threaten to leave.

Advice to Management

Trust managers and employees.

3. Great place to start or end your career.

I worked at Esri

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Supportive coworkers
    - A solid, growing group of young employees
    - Training opportunities
    - Great networking opportunities
    - People are generally open and friendly
    - Not an overly competitive work environment

For those of you who are fresh out of college, Esri is a great place to start your career. You meet a lot of young people through the internship program. Meet a few people, and it will quickly snowball into a pretty solid group of friends. I've met some of my closest friends during the two years I worked here. It's a good transition from college life to working life because Redlands feels like a college town (I guess it technically is because UofR is here).

Esri is a great learning environment. While the work can be challenging at times, its not too cut throat. I loved working at Esri, and would definitely consider returning later in life.

Cons

- Salary is not competitive
    - Raises are consistent but small
    - Can feel a bit "corporate" at times.
        - They would not let me listen to spotify while I worked
        - Management was ok with working us till late before a release, but would complain about "long coffee breaks."
    - Manager micromanaged....a lot
    - May be team specific, but manager did not like cross team collaboration and did not support it
    - Team didn't have enough resources for scope of work
    - No room for vertical growth (aka, promotions)
    - Horizontal movement opportunities available, but difficult
    - Has job security, which is great! But results in a lot of "checked out" people who've been there for over 20 years
    - Lack of opportunity for vertical growth results in people just "checking out." But as a result, work environment is chill, not cut throat.
    - No perks
    - The entire company gets one bonus a year regardless of salary...which is like $100, $90 after taxes.... Merry Christmas!
    - Building M, where the developers work, get preferential treatment. Lounge rooms, sofas, pretty colors, newest coffee machines.... I think all of the photos on glassdoor are from M. The rest of us work in drab fishbowls, and the facilities were built in the 80s or something.

Also, I think the photo of everyone playing foosball is....misleading. Where is that table...? Did they bring it in for the photo shoot? Ever since I've seen that photo I've been on a quest to find it. Never have.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for vertical growth, more employee perks, more competitive salary.

5. Technical Marketing Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Esri as an intern

Pros

Great people with lots of knowledge and expertise. Everyone was very helpful. ESRI is a great company that is helping to make a better world through GIS.

Cons

Lots of technology with lots of bugs. Home office is in Redlands, California. It is very hot out there in the desert.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. ESRI is making a big difference by helping many different disciplines and industries take a geo-spatial perspective.

6. sales

Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people i've ever encountered. Passionate about customer success.

Cons

Some disconnect at upper levels due to ultra-flat organization structure.

Advice to Management

"Walk the halls" more. Leverage knowledge of some great people with closest contact to customers and prospects and "street cred"

7. Location Analytics Specialis

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Esri as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great new technology space to work in

Cons

New technology not many people understand it yet.

8. Manage a team of 8 developer evangelists

Current Employee - Manager, Developer Evangelism in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager, Developer Evangelism in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, salary is based on hours worked, casual dress code. Southern California weather.

Cons

On campus cafe is expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

9. Solutions Engineer (Sales Engineer)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Privately owned, which means we don't answer to the agenda of a board of directors
    - Zero-debt company since it's inception. Slow, but steady growth and never any job cutbacks
    - Great culture and friendly people
    - Relaxed work environment for most teams
    - Great benefits and valuable on-the-job training
    - Paid for 8 hours of travel time each trip, so you make money sitting on a plane
    - Exempt employee status for most employees, so flexible hours are a plus
    - Mentally stimulating and rewarding work
    - Very approachable upper management. You can drop by their offices any time and just chat.

Cons

- Very lateral company. If you need to be constantly rewarded with a new title every couple of years, then you need a job at a bigger corporation where everyone is a VP or Director of something.
    - Esri hardly ever fires people, which leads to some frustrating inefficiencies and questionable work ethics.
    - Ill-defined roles in some areas, which has a similar result to the previous bullet.

Advice to Management

The company is going through a big period of change; management needs to continue to adapt and change with it or they will be spinning their tires.

Good benefits, great technical support team, horrendously dated development philosophies.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No premium for medical coverage for the ENTIRE FAMILY. Technical support teams give great opportunities for growth and are a fantastic launching point for recent graduates. A wonderful campus and beautiful work environment, and generally good people, with a very minimal drama footprint.

Cons

Ridiculous territorialism between development teams stifles cross team communication. When coupled with dangerously outdated development philosophies employed by management staff, and the complete stagnation of movement within staff and management ranks, it can be an extremely frustrating experience trying to get anything new done which would benefit the company.

Advice to Management

Look at the value of process, QA, and behavior driven development. Try to about stifling ideas which conflict with "how it's always been done". Change isn't always bad.

Find the right team for you.

Former Employee - Sales in Redlands, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good.

Cons

Some teams can ruin your experience at Esri and don't align with the internal culture.

Advice to Management

Get more connected with the industries and business leaders to better understand what is relevant to them. Don't stay in the ordinary GIS comfort zones, and hold management at all levels as accountable as your staff.