Esri

Esri Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Esri President Jack Dangermond

Jack Dangermond

Pros:
  • "Lazy work env thus great work-life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great benefits and time of for new parents"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No career path will be laid out for you"
    in 12 reviews
  • "No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stable company but wasteful

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFinancially stable, nice campus, modern facilities and equipment

ConsShifting vision and priorities, poor management, underlying environment of tension and fear

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time talking and listening to employees dissatisfaction with changing priorities and lack of responsiveness from management.

Product Engineer in Software Development Department

Product Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible working hours
Various training catalogs/ courses
Plenty opportunities for conference/ workshop
Independent working office/ environment
Easy to reach working/ life balance

ConsDifficult in internal transition between departments
Raise is hard to bump up even with high performance, unless transfer to different positions

Advice to Senior ManagementShould share more general/ future prospective during meetings.

It's a refreshing place to work

I have been working at Esri

ProsBenefits. Profit sharing. Campus in redlands is beautiful. Lots of autonomy. Nice computer equipment.

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement because it's a flat organization. Corporate is involved in too May decisions. They need to let go and trust management to lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees. Jack...trust your employees to do what is right. :) we care a about the company just as much as you do!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worth it

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, profit sharing, fulfilling work, great owner, awesome people to work with, mature management, good life/work balance, if something isn't good or working, it gets fixed or changed.

ConsYou need self confidence and to be a self-starter, you may find yourself left on your own to make a difference. California management culture may be difficult for some to understand.

great stable company

Sales Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsEstablished and stable company. No worries about layoffs. Nice cafe and perks on site.

ConsThe salaries are typically lower than the industry standard. Not very easy to move from department to department in different roles. So the career growth is limited.

Great place for the end of one's career

Applications Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent benefits - Healthcare almost 100% covered for worker and family. Flex time.
Very stable
Paid overtime for "salary" workers

ConsVery limited career growth possibilities - This is a largely flat corporate hierarchy. Everyone below director level is mostly equal. Titles and authority are not career based. Reorganizations in IT are frequent and people are moved up and down the structure arbitrarily.
Success is based on seniority, not merit - ESRI is not a meritocracy. One's influence is related to the amount of time spent working there, or who you know. Success and experience are secondary to long-term personal relationships.
No technological growth - ESRI uses very outdated technologies and is very skeptical to adopt anything new. New technologies threaten the comfort level of long term employees. Since seniority matters more than experience, any new technologies require serious uphill battles. An employee willing to make that case often ends up ostracized for threatening long term employees' positions.
Employee monitoring by fellow employees - Employees are encouraged, and sometimes rewarded, for monitoring fellow employees and reporting activity to management.
Old Guard of GIS - ESRI is successful for being the first and largest company in GIS. However, they are a desktop focused software product. They have failed to keep technologically relevant as companies like Google are rising to challenge them.
Siloed Divisions - Individual divisions function in silos and directors regularly compete/challenge each other for the pool of resources. It is not uncommon to have different groups all doing the same thing but different ways. There is very little cooperation between business units.
Lower pay - Expect salaries to stay below market price since you are compensated for overtime. The unspoken rule is that 45 hours/week is expected and brings your take home more closely aligned with market price. However, since there is no structure, there is no way to raise one's salary beyond 3-6%(-ish) a year for your entire career at ESRI.
Paid overtime for salary workers - There is no leniency in time spent since all time is billable to the company. During orientation, you are told to remember to clock out for the 5-10 minute walk to get food from the cafeteria and back. That 10 minute period is personal time and is expected to be considered as such. For a contractor or hourly worker, this is not uncommon. However, a salary employee may find it challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a structure where seniority is secondary to experience and merit. Reduce the influence of long term employees who have very limited interest in growing outside of outdated business models. Bring on upper management that has experience in the online marketplace.

Contractors Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAt the team level you will work with talented, smart, and motivated folks that care about their career and the work you do. Teams usually have a greater sense of family than the HR department.

ConsRecruiters and HR will change policies and will get rid of contractors that ask too many questions. I would suggest anyone that is working with a recruiter beware the lunches, the follow ups are nothing more than information gathering points. These people do not care about you and often times will tell you in the worse case scenarios "there's always better opportunities" even if you really want the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJack, if you care about the teams at Esri and the people who really want to work there, fix the HR department and the way contractors are treated. There is no excuse for the lying and the mistreatment of contractors who really want a job with Esri.

This company is full of disappointment

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay structure used allows employee to make extra compensation when underpaid hourly they can make it up by working extra hours.

ConsPoor Leadership. Very old school. Micromanage everything. no work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out your senior leadership. They are sub-par across the board. I've never witnessed such poor senior management. Not a lot of faith in the leadership of any of the senior executives.

Zero Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Esri full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you want to be lazy and just coast by you'll fit right in with everyone else.

ConsIncompetent, unqualified coworkers and zero chance for growth internally. No incentive for hard work.

Exciting company to work for

Software (Former Employee)

I worked at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVersatility, exposure to latest technologies, great location

ConsNot easy to move into other domains within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementFlexibility to give people opportunities to move into other departments.

Worked for Esri? Contribute to the Community!

Esri Videos

Esri – Why Work for Us?

Esri is the world leader in geographic information system (GIS) software development. Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s GIS technology enables… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Esri reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Esri CEO Jack Dangermond. All 187 reviews are posted anonymously by Esri employees.