Expedia Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 36 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work, Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Bellevue Hill
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue Hill

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work culture
    Lots of challenges & opportunities if one is ready to pursue
    Great work/life balance
    Nice benefits
    Good/Focussed leadership

Cons

Some teams tend to have less team culture
    More time spent on putting off fires

Smart people, innovative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Expedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Offices are great and benefits are good. Expedia offers healthcare, gym, phone, laptop, travel discounts and study assistance to name just a few of the benefits. Salaries are in line with the market.

From a work-life balance perspective Expedia was good. Plenty of flexibility to work from home and flexible hours when needed.

The great thing about expedia is the calibre of individuals working for the business and the innovative solutions for revenue generation. It feels great to be part of something this exciting.

Cons

Career paths were limited and internal development needed to have a bigger focus. Expedia buy in the talent externally or expatriate people around the world who have the necessary skills. There isnt much internal talent development happening which makes career progression quite limited for the individuals.

Develop your staff and offer exciting career options.

Great online company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Smart people, good online expertise

Cons

Lean structure, wouldn't mind having more ressources.

Keep doing what you have been doing over the last 2 years. Expedia AU rocks!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but not great yet...

Current Employee - Director  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Director in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is at the heart, very much a tech company as well as a travel company. The people at Expedia are fantastic (most of them at least). At Expedia I've met some of the most driven (to the verge of being workaholics), intelligent and witty to date.

Cons

Major change has been happening for over 2 years. You would like to see it settle down, but it hasn't. There needs to be more strategic thinking in what direction the company should be heading.

Set the direction and empower people to execute. Stop thinking about hitting next quarters numbers and invest a little in the core platform and strategy on the long run.

Great place to learn about Online Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Expedia has a great, fun and friendly atmosphere. It's a fun place to come to work when things are going well. Expedia is a truly global compnay so there is the ability to tap into a global knowledge network which is hard to beat. There is a good lifework balance, although this probably depends on which office you work in. There are opportunities for travel.

Cons

Little Innovation and very hard to break through the traditional way of doing things. The company is now too big to be innovative and even small website changes now take months or even years. Competitors have not only caught up, they have already run past!

Constant focus on the bottom line has caused Expedia to take their eye off the ball. Remember why Expedia was started in the first place!

No room for being unhappy.

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

After working for two fortune 500 companies this is easily the best company that I have worked for. Benefits are amazing and huge work life balance. Average starting for an hourly person is between 14-16 an hour. Most of the people in management has started on the bottom and moved up quickly after some development and coaching. More tools in your tool box then you will ever need. Plenty of chances to travel and take ownership of your work. I started in management and love every bit of what I am doing. I control my own hours and I come to work in jeans, T-shirt, vibram five fingers and gauged ears. Love it

Cons

Needs more cooperation between departments. Some departments are lazy while most pick up their slack. Also a lot of complaints about having to actually do work.

Let become a top ten place to work by staying ahead of the curve on tech,processes and perks.

Solid employer, but you need to advocate for your own career growth

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are nice, and work/life balance is much nicer compared to other regional tech companies

Cons

Perpetual re-orgs and politics can make upward mobility tough. You can spend months winning favor with a director or VP and then *poof* they are gone and it's like no one knows you or your work.

Stop being afraid. Operationally we are REACTING. There are numerous ecommerce companies with far bigger footprints that move more nimbly. Look at netflix, amazon, google. If they aren't afraid of the technical risks, why should we be?

nICE

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Work Life Balance
    + Good Salary

Cons

- Inability to transfer to different location

Fun but lacking in direction

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Expedia is a nice, stable place to work for the most part. The people are great and the environment is fun and rewarding.

Cons

Lack of technology direction and the size of the company causes some poor decisions. What you are working on today may change completely overnight and you are left directionless. They drive to do more with less causes most groups to be severely short-handed and the current technology direction is alienating most of their prior staff causing massive turn-over.

Go back to what you were doing better a few years ago. Focus more on your current employees and give them more aid in what they need now.

Go Anywhere...Be Anything

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Expedia, you have the ability to become nearly anything. You have the opportunity to go anywhere. Your goals are only limited by your own imagination. Expedia is an excellent company to work for and have benefits that will make you ask..."and you're still going to pay me!?"

Cons

In such a large company, it is hard to get recognized for outstanding achievement.

Keep a closer look at mid level management and be sure they are promoting growth and not afraid of it.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!