Expedia Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 127 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people, innovative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Offices are great and benefits are good. Expedia offers healthcare, gym, phone, laptop, travel discounts and study assistance to name just a few of the benefits. Salaries are in line with the market.

From a work-life balance perspective Expedia was good. Plenty of flexibility to work from home and flexible hours when needed.

The great thing about expedia is the calibre of individuals working for the business and the innovative solutions for revenue generation. It feels great to be part of something this exciting.

Cons

Career paths were limited and internal development needed to have a bigger focus. Expedia buy in the talent externally or expatriate people around the world who have the necessary skills. There isnt much internal talent development happening which makes career progression quite limited for the individuals.

Develop your staff and offer exciting career options.

Great online company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Smart people, good online expertise

Cons

Lean structure, wouldn't mind having more ressources.

Keep doing what you have been doing over the last 2 years. Expedia AU rocks!

Good but not great yet...

Current Employee - Director in Sydney
    Current Employee - Director in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is at the heart, very much a tech company as well as a travel company. The people at Expedia are fantastic (most of them at least). At Expedia I've met some of the most driven (to the verge of being workaholics), intelligent and witty to date.

Cons

Major change has been happening for over 2 years. You would like to see it settle down, but it hasn't. There needs to be more strategic thinking in what direction the company should be heading.

Set the direction and empower people to execute. Stop thinking about hitting next quarters numbers and invest a little in the core platform and strategy on the long run.

Great place to learn about Online Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Expedia has a great, fun and friendly atmosphere. It's a fun place to come to work when things are going well. Expedia is a truly global compnay so there is the ability to tap into a global knowledge network which is hard to beat. There is a good lifework balance, although this probably depends on which office you work in. There are opportunities for travel.

Cons

Little Innovation and very hard to break through the traditional way of doing things. The company is now too big to be innovative and even small website changes now take months or even years. Competitors have not only caught up, they have already run past!

Constant focus on the bottom line has caused Expedia to take their eye off the ball. Remember why Expedia was started in the first place!

Constantly challenging, good work environment, great coworkers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I find the most important aspects of most jobs are (a) whom I work with, (b) what I work on, and (c) whom I work for—in that order. At Expedia, I've been happy with all three. My coworkers are fun, competent, and have a decent work ethic. The projects are technically challenging and relevant to the company. And the engineering department I work in is well-run, fast-moving, and the values are all in the right place.

Cons

It's a large company. Large companies with legacy codebases come with a set of challenges that many people will not enjoy. I think these challenges are kept to a minimum at Expedia, but they are still there. This is not a startup.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, relaxed environment, smart collegues. Quality work is encouraged so is initiative. Compensation is performance focused rather than experience focused.

Cons

Limited career growth in satellite office. Travel benefits are not as good as in HQ for canadian employees. Workload varies a lot from team to teams. Managers skills varies a lot from team to team. Some are very technical with poor management skills. Other are great people managers without any idea of the technical challenges on projects.

Great working environment but has downsides

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Great place to work, really good culture and working environment, didn't feel like going to work.
    There is always some kind of staff event or BBQ, very sociable place to work. Offices are very modern and trendy. Xbox's, table football etc.
    Some good benefits and discounts on travel.

Cons

High turnover, I saw many people come and go in my time and a lot of unjust sackings. Heard a lot of people were let go because their "boss didn't like them". This happened quite a lot if the persons face didn't fit.

Unfortunately because of the nice environment and the laid back atmosphere you had a lot of dead weight in the company, people who were happy to just sit back for the ride. I met quite a lot of people who either did nothing or didn't really know what they were doing, they'd just been there for a long time. Came in late, long lunches, left early and didn't really do anything whilst they were there.

The atmosphere although good to work in, produced a lack of urgency, not something I was used to and found to be quite frustrating when you needed something done.

Also the London office is too reliant on the Bellevue office, they need to break away, take more control and be more autonomous.

Get rid of the dead weight, people are in jobs that either they don't deserve or are incapable of doing. Sometimes both.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - SEM Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - SEM Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fare with their compensation.
    Flexible, to your personal life. A lot of people was able to work 1 or 2 days less every week, relocate or work from home 50% of the time, due to personal reasons.
    Very smart people.
    Good benefits

Cons

There is not a clear career path. If you work at it, have frequent conversations, network, and you are good at what you do, you will grow. If not, it is hard.

caught between a rock and a hard place

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

great working climate
    knowledgeable dedicated people
    very laid back environment, but not too laid back

Cons

too large to innovate
    could do so much better with less value on the process and more on the outcome
    some employees stuck in the mud of process, too comfortable to change

drive innovation and imagination, automate process.
    trust in the workers, and tell the workers, by actions and by words, that they need to be worthy of that trust and live up to it.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun, vibrant
    -Amazing offices in London
    -Good people, team spirit
    -Discount on hotels and deals
    -Great opportunity to move up and across countries

Cons

-Working hours are sometimes unsociable due to workload and US reporting lines
    -You have to be prone to change to fit in