Expedia

Expedia Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros:
  • "Some groups have good work life balance, and the culture is positive and friendly"
    in 87 reviews
  • "Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Though work-life balance can make up for some of the difference"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work, Great work/life balance

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee)
Bellevue Hill

ProsGood work culture
Lots of challenges & opportunities if one is ready to pursue
Great work/life balance
Nice benefits
Good/Focussed leadership

ConsSome teams tend to have less team culture
More time spent on putting off fires

Smart people, innovative company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Expedia full-time for less than a year

ProsOffices are great and benefits are good. Expedia offers healthcare, gym, phone, laptop, travel discounts and study assistance to name just a few of the benefits. Salaries are in line with the market.

From a work-life balance perspective Expedia was good. Plenty of flexibility to work from home and flexible hours when needed.

The great thing about expedia is the calibre of individuals working for the business and the innovative solutions for revenue generation. It feels great to be part of something this exciting.

ConsCareer paths were limited and internal development needed to have a bigger focus. Expedia buy in the talent externally or expatriate people around the world who have the necessary skills. There isnt much internal talent development happening which makes career progression quite limited for the individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your staff and offer exciting career options.

Great online company

I have been working at Expedia

ProsSmart people, good online expertise

ConsLean structure, wouldn't mind having more ressources.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you have been doing over the last 2 years. Expedia AU rocks!

Good but not great yet...

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Expedia

ProsExpedia is at the heart, very much a tech company as well as a travel company. The people at Expedia are fantastic (most of them at least). At Expedia I've met some of the most driven (to the verge of being workaholics), intelligent and witty to date.

ConsMajor change has been happening for over 2 years. You would like to see it settle down, but it hasn't. There needs to be more strategic thinking in what direction the company should be heading.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the direction and empower people to execute. Stop thinking about hitting next quarters numbers and invest a little in the core platform and strategy on the long run.

Great place to learn about Online Marketing

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Expedia

ProsExpedia has a great, fun and friendly atmosphere. It's a fun place to come to work when things are going well. Expedia is a truly global compnay so there is the ability to tap into a global knowledge network which is hard to beat. There is a good lifework balance, although this probably depends on which office you work in. There are opportunities for travel.

ConsLittle Innovation and very hard to break through the traditional way of doing things. The company is now too big to be innovative and even small website changes now take months or even years. Competitors have not only caught up, they have already run past!

Advice to Senior ManagementConstant focus on the bottom line has caused Expedia to take their eye off the ball. Remember why Expedia was started in the first place!

Healthy Energetic Work

Manager, Software Development (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhat's great about Expedia is you get to work with really smart people to solve interesting and challenging problems in a rapidly changing industry. It helps that senior management presents a clear vision to the company; the focused execution of that vision has helped the company be very profitable and grow--the stock price has more than doubled since I started, and it's heading North.

Expedia has a really high level of ownership--everyone works hard, but has fun doing it. The pace is typically fast (not too fast, but it's fast). The teams are focused on being "agile", being part of "something bigger", and, of course, automating as much as possible--process is as important as product.

The work-life balance is constantly and consciously observed, so it's generally very healthy (my typical work week is 45-50 hrs/week--last week was slightly higher. Yes, there are kRaZy days, sometimes weeks, where everyone voluntarily throws it all on the line. However, these are rare and the efforts are highly/publicly recognized and rewarded--we do like to celebrate--then life kinda goes back to "normal".

Expedia has excellent benefits, too, so no complaints there.

ConsSame challenges you'd find in any "tech" company. It's a delicate balance of work effort between developing new features the company needs and keeping up with changes in technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing--it's working!

good company

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee)
Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

ProsThe comany has great benefits and has a nice work environent. The people are friendly and real. A great global company with room for job growth.

ConsThe pays seems a bit low for the job performed, but this is a function of the cheap labor market in Springfield.

Advice to Senior Managementgood management team

A great company to work for, it really comes down to who do you work for.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible, dynamic environment, plenty of opportunities to move geographically.

ConsProcesses. This company is a global multibillion business, yet still unable to built solid processes and deployment plans. Still a lot the original entrepreneurial unstructured spirit lives on.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership, there's too few managers with people management skills.

Smart co-workers, good work/life balance

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsOk in terms of:
-Compensation
-Perks and benefits
-Good learning if you are an individual contributor

Cons-Few people are only good in politics and not more. Depends on your team.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo specific words

Dynamic people, Invigorating work and work/life balance

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is lots of energy in the Bellevue headquarters of Expedia, Inc. It is interesting to work with so many brands. The leadership is young and dynamic. They have a coaching mentality which fosters growth from within the company. I have never had a manager care so much about my career path. Creativity is encouraged. Employees are passionate about travel and as an employee you are encouraged to take vacation and recharge.

ConsParking is challenging and there is not a lot of room because the company is growing quickly. Takes a while to figure out how the structure works within the brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work with turning managing into coaching. The employees feel the difference.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!

Expedia Videos

Expedia – Why Work for Us?

Why Expedia? Because mornings are the best when you love your job. At Expedia, Inc. we are passionate about travel and revolutionizing it through the power of technology. Across the globe, our family of brands makes… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Expedia reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. All 700 reviews are posted anonymously by Expedia employees.