Expedia

Expedia Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance(in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies(in 35 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development(in 31 reviews)

Good place to work, Great work/life balance

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bellevue Hill

ProsGood work culture
    Lots of challenges & opportunities if one is ready to pursue
    Great work/life balance
    Nice benefits
    Good/Focussed leadership

ConsSome teams tend to have less team culture
    More time spent on putting off fires

Smart people, innovative company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsOffices are great and benefits are good. Expedia offers healthcare, gym, phone, laptop, travel discounts and study assistance to name just a few of the benefits. Salaries are in line with the market.

From a work-life balance perspective Expedia was good. Plenty of flexibility to work from home and flexible hours when needed.

The great thing about expedia is the calibre of individuals working for the business and the innovative solutions for revenue generation. It feels great to be part of something this exciting.

ConsCareer paths were limited and internal development needed to have a bigger focus. Expedia buy in the talent externally or expatriate people around the world who have the necessary skills. There isnt much internal talent development happening which makes career progression quite limited for the individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your staff and offer exciting career options.

Great online company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsSmart people, good online expertise

ConsLean structure, wouldn't mind having more ressources.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you have been doing over the last 2 years. Expedia AU rocks!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but not great yet...

Director (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsExpedia is at the heart, very much a tech company as well as a travel company. The people at Expedia are fantastic (most of them at least). At Expedia I've met some of the most driven (to the verge of being workaholics), intelligent and witty to date.

ConsMajor change has been happening for over 2 years. You would like to see it settle down, but it hasn't. There needs to be more strategic thinking in what direction the company should be heading.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the direction and empower people to execute. Stop thinking about hitting next quarters numbers and invest a little in the core platform and strategy on the long run.

Great place to learn about Online Marketing

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsExpedia has a great, fun and friendly atmosphere. It's a fun place to come to work when things are going well. Expedia is a truly global compnay so there is the ability to tap into a global knowledge network which is hard to beat. There is a good lifework balance, although this probably depends on which office you work in. There are opportunities for travel.

ConsLittle Innovation and very hard to break through the traditional way of doing things. The company is now too big to be innovative and even small website changes now take months or even years. Competitors have not only caught up, they have already run past!

Advice to Senior ManagementConstant focus on the bottom line has caused Expedia to take their eye off the ball. Remember why Expedia was started in the first place!

Really awesome, but it was a start up back then.

Market Manager (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsAutonomy, flexibility, negotiation, stock options, relationships, great CEO, generous time off policy, great health benefits,

Conslack of leadership, bad management.

never ending learning adventure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe best, most intense and interesting learning experience ever. The moment you know what you do and start wearing your hat in a cosy way, something is bound to change and kick you out of that comfort zone into new challenge. Every day I come to a different work. Challenging, rewarding, crazy fast-paced, great for learning and development if you raise your hand and and are proactive about it. No one will offer you opportunity just because you sit at your desk and look fabulous. Not even because you are fabulous at what you do. You need to keep volunteering to take the extra work and help with another project and create your own chance to learn. No classrooms needed. Just tons of proactive attitude and willingness to try new things.

ConsYou have to perform outside of the standard scope of your duties to be promoted to the level you would have operated at for while beforehand. "Prove you can do it" approach

Fun place to work, good benefits, not a lot of upward movement

Director (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsLove the people, supportive environment, good perks and time-off is descent. You can ask for help and people actually respond and help you. Excellent diversity programs. They create a good personal community path as well as a work community environment. Cool wellness benefits.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level, there is not a ton of room for advancement. I've also had difficulty in promoting those on my team and can't seem to sort out why. I believe HR has a huge issue here. Also, our recruiting team needs a lot of work - so if you are applying...be patient - it's worth it to get to the other side but I don't think they leave a great impression (external AND internal). Comp is market average but some cool travel and wellness perks.

Awesome Company to work for.....

Concierge (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThey think of employee needs...

ConsThey are limited as for the cities you can work for them...

Advice to Senior ManagementCome back to the California Market

Excellent culture and benefits

Technical Product Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsCompany is the right size for internal growth without getting lost in a mega-corporation. Lots of great collaborative tools in use. Open floor plan. Excellent benefits.

ConsVery large product. Moving faster than ever, but sometimes seems frustratingly slow. Many teams don't support working from home on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better salary adjustment over time/promotions to people who have long tenure in company in order to retain experienced employees.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!