Expedia

4.0
1,104 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great team environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

While I'm sure it differs from team to team, the one I'm involved with is wonderful! Everyone is really there to help each other out, but also push each other to do the best work possible. The atmosphere is positive, energetic and innovative.

Cons

There is constant change in the travel industry, which means constant change trying to keep up with new processes, rules, etc. This can be a little overwhelming for a new-hire, but you get used to going with the flow as you become more familiar with your position and the tools you work with.

Expedia Response

Feb 24, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for your honest and detailed review. Thanks for being an important part of our team! Here's to great travel adventures to come!

Expedia is a Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Fantastic Industry and able to be in the heart of an exciting, ever changing technology company with a passion for travel
    - Great Benefits especially related to travel
    - Global opportunities to grow your career

Cons

- Change is constant and you need to be adaptable to that type of environment

Poor acquisition

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Brisbane

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Expedia acquired Wotif and I was offered a position to continue working at Expedia.

Cons

- VPs from Expedia doesn't seem to understand Wotif employees.
    - Take it or leave it kind of contract, where the role is never mentioned. So if an employee is not happy for the new role, there is nothing to do apart from leaving the company.
    - Really poor salary, no increase were offered.
    - Longer and less flexible working hours, also Expedia might expect you to work during your weekends or evenings.
    - Almost every benefit given from Expedia is legally minimum (such as personal leave)

Don't think that you're at the same level as Google. Google innovates and engineers the future. Google also cares about their employees.

Great opportunities for success

Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Sydney
    Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is committed to growth, innovation and market leading experiences for our customers, it is an exciting time to be working here with many opportunities to display your talent and learn from other very talented individuals. The company also offers some great employee benefits and promotes a focused and positive culture.

Cons

Lack of systems/processes in some areas of the business due to fast paced growth. Internationally based HO and support teams can create delays for day to day operational duties and internal IT needs.

Additional focus on defining an identity and culture for our brand and region. Motivating staff to succeed and achieve results.

It's fabulous to be part of Expedia!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The open culture is what I like the most. Expedia provides career growth and supports staff development.

Cons

To be honest, I can't really tell if there is anything I dislike here.

Smart people, innovative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Offices are great and benefits are good. Expedia offers healthcare, gym, phone, laptop, travel discounts and study assistance to name just a few of the benefits. Salaries are in line with the market.

From a work-life balance perspective Expedia was good. Plenty of flexibility to work from home and flexible hours when needed.

The great thing about expedia is the calibre of individuals working for the business and the innovative solutions for revenue generation. It feels great to be part of something this exciting.

Cons

Career paths were limited and internal development needed to have a bigger focus. Expedia buy in the talent externally or expatriate people around the world who have the necessary skills. There isnt much internal talent development happening which makes career progression quite limited for the individuals.

Develop your staff and offer exciting career options.

Great online company

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Smart people, good online expertise

Cons

Lean structure, wouldn't mind having more ressources.

Keep doing what you have been doing over the last 2 years. Expedia AU rocks!

Good but not great yet...

Current Employee - Director in Sydney
    Current Employee - Director in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is at the heart, very much a tech company as well as a travel company. The people at Expedia are fantastic (most of them at least). At Expedia I've met some of the most driven (to the verge of being workaholics), intelligent and witty to date.

Cons

Major change has been happening for over 2 years. You would like to see it settle down, but it hasn't. There needs to be more strategic thinking in what direction the company should be heading.

Set the direction and empower people to execute. Stop thinking about hitting next quarters numbers and invest a little in the core platform and strategy on the long run.

Great place to learn about Online Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Expedia has a great, fun and friendly atmosphere. It's a fun place to come to work when things are going well. Expedia is a truly global compnay so there is the ability to tap into a global knowledge network which is hard to beat. There is a good lifework balance, although this probably depends on which office you work in. There are opportunities for travel.

Cons

Little Innovation and very hard to break through the traditional way of doing things. The company is now too big to be innovative and even small website changes now take months or even years. Competitors have not only caught up, they have already run past!

Constant focus on the bottom line has caused Expedia to take their eye off the ball. Remember why Expedia was started in the first place!

Exciting Workplace

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

very dynamic. company believes in quick test, learn & optimize. strong growth. many internal opportunities

Cons

can sometimes feel hierarchical and promotion policies are somewhat rigid