Expedia

3.9
1,071 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities for success

Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Sydney
    Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is committed to growth, innovation and market leading experiences for our customers, it is an exciting time to be working here with many opportunities to display your talent and learn from other very talented individuals. The company also offers some great employee benefits and promotes a focused and positive culture.

Cons

Lack of systems/processes in some areas of the business due to fast paced growth. Internationally based HO and support teams can create delays for day to day operational duties and internal IT needs.

Additional focus on defining an identity and culture for our brand and region. Motivating staff to succeed and achieve results.

It's fabulous to be part of Expedia!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The open culture is what I like the most. Expedia provides career growth and supports staff development.

Cons

To be honest, I can't really tell if there is anything I dislike here.

Smart people, innovative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Offices are great and benefits are good. Expedia offers healthcare, gym, phone, laptop, travel discounts and study assistance to name just a few of the benefits. Salaries are in line with the market.

From a work-life balance perspective Expedia was good. Plenty of flexibility to work from home and flexible hours when needed.

The great thing about expedia is the calibre of individuals working for the business and the innovative solutions for revenue generation. It feels great to be part of something this exciting.

Cons

Career paths were limited and internal development needed to have a bigger focus. Expedia buy in the talent externally or expatriate people around the world who have the necessary skills. There isnt much internal talent development happening which makes career progression quite limited for the individuals.

Develop your staff and offer exciting career options.

Great online company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Smart people, good online expertise

Cons

Lean structure, wouldn't mind having more ressources.

Keep doing what you have been doing over the last 2 years. Expedia AU rocks!

Good but not great yet...

Current Employee - Director in Sydney
    Current Employee - Director in Sydney

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is at the heart, very much a tech company as well as a travel company. The people at Expedia are fantastic (most of them at least). At Expedia I've met some of the most driven (to the verge of being workaholics), intelligent and witty to date.

Cons

Major change has been happening for over 2 years. You would like to see it settle down, but it hasn't. There needs to be more strategic thinking in what direction the company should be heading.

Set the direction and empower people to execute. Stop thinking about hitting next quarters numbers and invest a little in the core platform and strategy on the long run.

Great place to learn about Online Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Expedia has a great, fun and friendly atmosphere. It's a fun place to come to work when things are going well. Expedia is a truly global compnay so there is the ability to tap into a global knowledge network which is hard to beat. There is a good lifework balance, although this probably depends on which office you work in. There are opportunities for travel.

Cons

Little Innovation and very hard to break through the traditional way of doing things. The company is now too big to be innovative and even small website changes now take months or even years. Competitors have not only caught up, they have already run past!

Constant focus on the bottom line has caused Expedia to take their eye off the ball. Remember why Expedia was started in the first place!

Most amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance. I have never worked for a company that has such an amazing work/life balance. Also, the people here are so amazing. Work is fun every. single. day.

Cons

I wish I would've started working here sooner, to work my way up faster.

Keep up the good work and treating your employees like such a big part of the company.

Expedia Response

Jan 16, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for support, advocacy and enthusiasm! Can we clone you?

Be a Rockstar

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. If you're an A player, you will move to the top. This may mean sacrificing some of that work-life balance. To some, that may mean working an 8 hour day rather than a 5.

Cons

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. There are a lot of people who coast, or call a 5 hour work day "work-life balance".

When it comes to hiring, it is better to get a false negative than a false positive

Feels like a startup but with the benefits of a big company.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Using the latest technologies in the industry.
    - Tons of stuff to learn and there's always new things to learn each day.
    - Good Career Growth.

Cons

- A lot of the engineers you work with have very strong technical skills but lack the basic soft skills for the job; making some people difficult to work with.
    - Working conditions are decent but the facilities need a lot of improvement.

Improve the facilities.

Love working for Expedia!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Very healthy work-life balance - they encourage it
    * Lots of opportunity for social interactions, gatherings, celebrating occasions and holidays
    * Great culture of giving back to society.
    * Not very high stress levels
    * Great benefits - travel benefits, wellness benefits, employee assistance, medical second opinion programs, generous sick time, good vacation policy

Cons

* Promotions are hard to come by when you are an individual contributors and in lower level positions (i.e. Lower than director) At Director level positions or higher, it feels like promotions are easier to come by - can be a little discouraging to individual contributors
    * Can do a better job at recognizing and growing talent, and providing challenging opportunities to keep people engaged and excited