Experian Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
Updated 17 October 2014
2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • in some departments there is better work/life balance in others not so much (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and vacation allotments (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 21 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fair but boring place to work

I have been working at Experian full-time

Pros

Experian has established and matured market a.k.a cash cow. Means people don't get pushed too much about making profits -compare to the companies losing $- as well as has guaranteed work/life balance.

Outsourcing happens in massive scale but candidates selection process seems fair enough. Tho it attracted a lot of negative feedback here in Glassdoor.

Not much politics involved in review process, which is fairly rare in type of company. (Long running with cash cow but unable to expand anymore for decades.)

Cons

Management prefer acquire companies rather than invest money for internal R&D etc just like any other company these days.

However, since the cash for acquisition is coming from outsourcing and as a lot of former employees complaining about not highly regarding 'loyalty', it's probably not a good place for long term career.

Please don't be so bureaucratic. I mean, 1-5 scale performance assessment is fine but the gaps between them? Well.. considering only <10% people get 5 stars, that doesn't really make any distinction for mega contributors and many people leave the company because of it.

Heading down the rabbit hole

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not too bad pay and fringe benefits. Guaranteed flexibility for work-life balance. Hefty minions from 3rd world to deal with tedious chores.

Cons

It's all about numbers. Board says x% growth this year and this goes through to CEO, region, business and team. What it means is everything here is like "we get $y deal then we will spend $z to make it happen" not the other way around. Therefore All the middle-managers are focusing on shine their achievements sheet without investing any $ and things gets really preposterous way to make them happy, period.

Scrap ridiculous performance for growth. It's understandable paperwork only if one manager manages 50+ people underneath him. If one have difficult to manage <10 team member without that paperwork, better get rid of him/her and hire local high-school baseball team couch instead.

To new CEO: Probably better not starting new CEO world tour concert while squeezing out people for excessive travel costs.

Data analysis

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with a ton of data, Teams are great people really matter when you work in this company

Cons

salary is not very good but if you stay enough time it gets better

Salaries should improve

Secure and Safe job

Former Employee - Service Manager in Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I worked at Experian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice, modern office building. Good salary for the sector and size of the company. Colleagues are nice, not too bad.

Cons

More work and responsibilities does not equate more pay - i.e. you get promoted to a manager, but you still are getting the same money as your direct reports. Talks about pay raise are met with "can't promise anything, maybe in a couple of years." Local management is arrogant and their people's management competence - under question.

Local support heads are managers, but not leaders. You need more leaders locally, management can be done remotely, but a good example to follow should be local. Also, if promoting somebody - first secure their pay-raise and only then entrust them with the new responsibilities. Resentment ensues otherwise.

Great company to work and great career opporunities

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Santiago (Chile)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Santiago (Chile)

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working culture and growth ooportunities

Cons

The size of the company makes it difficult to do changes and experiment.

Interesting sector of working

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary for Bulgaria. You can earn more when you take an on call shift.

Cons

There is no knowledge sharing so you should learn everything by the hard way. So it's a big challange.

They should start listen people what are they saying and appreciate them more.

Top heavy company that used to innovate but now is only concerned about the bottom line. Hopefully they can turn it.

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Experian full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, nice cafeteria

Cons

The company is not agile enough to keep up with the changing pace of the marketplace.

Look around you. Your competition is eating your lunch!

Lost its way .................. again

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Despite the organisational mess and charisma bereft leadership team in Credit Service, there are good people working there and doing the best they can.

Cons

No sense of value to the amount of effort needed to keep customers happy and cancelling contracts !! No customer loyalty programme and no numerical incentive for people to care about sales and salesforce. Technology is dated and model for Go To Market defunct in the post financial crisis business landscape. Revenue goals are ridiculously high.

Failure to find a Leadership Team with the vision and charisma to take the firm forward into the future. Lack of a positive culture leads to an erosion of confidence and decline in meaningful activity to drive the company forward. Ditch the grey accountants running the business and bring in some colour !!

Large multi layered organisation, easy to get lost in the crowd

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Experian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training - this company was an excellent place for me to start my career, they had very good training platforms in place and most of the time the training was delivered to an excellent standard.
    Great social events, very good at pulling the employees together at the team level and company level.

Cons

My main issue with Experian is their insistence in promoting and employing the wrong type of person into team management positions, poor leaders with no idea how to inspire.

Take a look at your middle management teams, they are severely lacking in the skills required to inspire and retain good people.

Wierd vibe and predatory work environment

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, company car to all customer-facing sellers

Cons

Predatory management practices. When I joined it was made clear to me that I was supposed to "clean house" There were good employees in place and I was not about to just fire them. When I decided to keep these employees my fate was sealed and I got the sack

Try developing new managers and employees rather than just take them in and fire them after 9 months. Provide an opportunity for improvement and mentorship. Work life balance was a joke here

Experian Photos