Experian Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
Updated 28 August 2014

2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent time off, plenty of telework opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A good start

Current Employee - Marketing  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

- This company is a great start for someone early on in their career.
    - As it is a FTSE 100 company you are working for the industry leader.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Young teams if you want a young atmosphere, not many people 40+

Cons

- Not so great for senior managers over 35! Some senior managers are 26 for example. We have one 40+ year old in our greater team and she is extremely insecure because of how young everyone is.
    - You need to play the corporate game to get anywhere. Most senior managers are very defensive of their roles as there are talented people who are younger and up and coming.
    - Some managers don't let their team members shine

- Don't let manager and senior managers take all of the credit for their team. From what most employees say, their manager doesn't do much compared to them.
    - Give every employee a voice and a chance to show their INDIVIDUAL achievements - not managers taking TEAM credit!

Project Management

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Experian as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great co workers, everyone trying to do their best to complete projects on time. Good pay.

Cons

Burn out factory. Billion dollar company runs itself like a start up. Constant high pressure and extremely fast paced environment, every IT resources constantly overbooked on numerous projects, need for bargaining / horse trading on shared resources to get projects completed on time.

Stress factory, employee burn out inevitable. Stop treating people like their replaceable no matter what and you might not see such a high turn over rate. Too many weekly 'emergency' issue fire drills, too many resources being poached off projects for emergency issues to successfully complete ongoing projects adequately.

Downsized But Not For Lack Of Trying

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant SSC  in  Benbrook, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant SSC in Benbrook, TX (US)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work in the specialized sales channel working with Experian resellers. I am fortunate the I get to work remotely and have nice benefits. However, the company values don't seem to exist. When I was a sales manager at Chilton we all worked together to grow the business and their was a team approach to selling. In this group, everyone works independently and the only team that exists is on the sheet of paper in human resources. We need a strategic approach to growing the business with less criticism from the newbies to the group.

Cons

We continue to have a constant turnover in leadership in our group. Our new vice president talks too much about herself, does not keep information confidential. She recently suggested that I turn in my sales hat to work on compliance issues and product management products. The only reason she was promoted is because she spoke in a negative manner to multiple people in the organization about her peers. As a result, those people have been put out to pasture or have been forced to resign.

Get a manager in our group that is interested in growing the business and sticking with business issues. We are so tired of hearing of her accomplishments in her life. The rest of us our hear to work and not focus on issues with the vice president of specialized sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From the envy to sweatshop

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most work together for the common good but since the largest disruption in recent memory, it has not been the same place.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist, UK management mentality seem to be evermore prevalent and not for the better.

Attack of the Drones

I worked at Experian for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Big name for CV (if that's even worth anything any more)

otherwise none.

Cons

1. Talentless drones
    2. Wages relatively low, bonuses practically non-existent.
    3. Pigeonholed - most people get pidgeonholed in to single-skill or sometimes no-skill boring jobs.
    4. Slow train to nowhere - it's one of those places you spend 20 years trying to get somewhere by which time you're as useless as everyone else but have a manager title because all the good people moved on to better things and you were the last one left.
    5. Lots of red tape, slow to get anything done, takes weeks for trivial things, meetings about meetings
    6. Paper Architects - as bad as in banking they don't actually know how to do anything, literally one received an award for X years of service and it was painful to even watch him use Microsoft Office, extremely limited and narrow IT knowledge of the marketplace and technologies never mind how anything actually works.

Pay more, hire fewer people, make sure each person is better quality.

Outsourced

Current Employee - Data Management Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Data Management Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote work is possible, fair compensation, good people

Cons

Layoffs and work outsourced, not a good work life balance

Great culture but too much politics

Current Employee - QA Tester  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Experian as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good pay rate
    Good culture
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Too much politics
    Difficult to convert from contract to full time
    Employees are disposable

Please back up your tenured and professional employees and keep them.

Interesting company that is moving from being a collection of small operations to a more connected global organisation

Current Employee - Commercial
    Current Employee - Commercial

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wide variety of work, good opportunities for travel. Generally employ intelligent staff. Compensation is lower side of average, time off average, work life balance mixed

Cons

Experian still hasn't quite managed to start like acting like a grown up global company. Regional and local profit targets get in the way of effectively dealing with growth and investment sometimes.

Keep going. Still much to do. And just because consultants cost more doesn't mean they must be right! Trust and stretch your own staff.

Safe career option but could be so much better

Current Employee - Corporate Development  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Corporate Development in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- in the main people are friendly although not the smartest or hardest working
    - work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits

Cons

- pay is poor and below market rate for most roles except sales and senior management
    - poor talent retention and nurturing at junior level
    - company burdened by process and approvals - many missed opportunities due to slow decision making by committee
    - the company is full of people who get paid well and do nothing because they are friends with the right people. Removing the deadwood would help with morale of many

- focus on developing talent within
    - pay to retain best junior staff (all the best are leaving within 2/3 years)
    - greater scrutiny of senior exec expenses (some are outrageous)
    - remove deadwood employees that are expensive and add zero value. Particularly in the central corporate function
    - your idea of bonus scheme is a joke, even for the global corporate teams

Good, challenging work environment... but now going down

Current Employee - Software Developer Senior  in  Santiago (Chile)
    Current Employee - Software Developer Senior in Santiago (Chile)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good HR benefits, thirteenth salary, annual bonus (when company results are as good as expected), technical challenges at work are very common, diversity is respected, sometimes you can telecommute, mostly nice people.

Cons

Management is not doing good about employee career development. Due to last year results were not as expected, there was no bonus this year. In addition, several positions were lost and workload is highly increased for the remaining employees. Morals are low right now.

Try to plan on a long term basis and not only for the current Fiscal Year or even for each Quarter! Also you have to start taking more seriously about your employees' development. How do you expect to reach your goals with reduced teams and low morals employees overwhelmed with heavy workload?

Worked for Experian? Contribute to the Community!