F5 Networks

F5 Networks Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam

John McAdam

Pros:
  • "F5 provides great benefits and people generally have good work-life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management does not care about employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Growing pains right now impacting the organization can be frustrating and disruptive"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

People stay here for a reason...

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting and challenging problems to solve, extremely smart, yet humble co-workers, good compensation and work-life balance. As a developer, I've learned a lot and worked with some of the best and brightest.

ConsInterview process could be improved to be more structured an consistent (speaking only from a developer in PD) -- this would help F5 continue to find the best people and also make it a better experience for interviewees.

Like may multi-office companies, discord between offices sometimes gets out of hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the problems are challenging and interesting, sometimes they are just incremental changes to an already very successful product or model. What are we going to do next to change the world?

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at F5 Networks as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmart and caring people, strong company with good prospects
Beer Friday
Allowed to take ownership over work quickly

ConsLots of process work
Need to help interns meet each other

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

F5 has a bright future, but ...

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at F5 Networks as a contractor

ProsAccelerated professional growth (you must drive that, not your manager), individual contributors can make an impact, terrific benefits, smart people, fun and hardworking culture, innovative environment

ConsLiterally no departmental collaboration (silos), short-term focused, terrible hiring approach (you may be interviewing for a job but there's no guarantee there's budget to make an offer, verbal offers can be retracted based on quarterly earnings), middle-managers don't seem to care about employees, zero on-boarding process/procedures, complex product line, overall experiencing growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more concern for your people, including potential candidates who are making career decisions.

Great Company

Network Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfree drinks, onsite parking. great culture

Conssmall company w/ lots of large companies competing

Great company, great people

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is a great company moving in the right direction. Sound technology backed by some of the brightest people in the industry. Casual and friendly attitudes do not reflect upon the company's desire to dominate their market space.

ConsAs any company going from small->medium->large, there are growing pains and political battles to be fought.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the changes as the company continues to grow and expand beyond its origins. Capitalize on the changes in the technology landscape.

Great company culture, innovative products and really smart people

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpen environment - transparent feedback from the Executuve team all the way down. Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent. Products are great and eveyone is passionate about quality/reputation.

ConsQuarterly focus - hard to scale the business when we are only looking at the end of our nose.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on ways to empower leaders to own more with a longer term vision of growth.

Fast-paced environment

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at F5 Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong team camaraderie and great people. Exciting technology at the fore front of trends that are shaping the way we live, work and play.

ConsChallenging to keep a work-life environment. Needs to be more agile and vocal in establishing thought leadership in the market.

Great Technology

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsVery critical infrastructure that demands very high degree of knowledge

ConsToo complex to understand everything. Need to work on hunches.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on supporting work life balance.

Right Moment and Right Place

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros-Offers almost all the good perks big companies in the valley offers. Premium-free high quality insurance, well stocked break rooms (all types of snacks, drinks, dairy, fruits, light breakfast, frozen food, etc.), 401k matching, life insurance, in-home doctors (only Seattle), etc.
-Good compensation
-Fast growing, high demand products, cutting edge technology.
-Transparency. Though team dependent, management usually stands together with their employees even up to middle-high management.
-Smart people-a cliche but true. Almost everyone has either worked at a top company or studied at a top school.
-Average age is younger than other similar companies. Feels more dynamic and fun to work.

Cons-Growing really fast. Office space is becoming a problem.
-No transportation incentives (offers only pre-tax purchase)
-Lack of company events in San Jose office
-Recent growth started to create the "single-foreign culture" feeling that some other network companies usually have. Diversity is a key in any workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep having an open communication with your employees, one big family feeling is one to keep. Employee morale is very important. Don't get lost with the speed of growth and lose the "startup-midup" feeling, keep a good balance. Don't let the company become a "single culture", keeping the diversity among employees is important. It should not become a company full of friends and relatives.

Long-time employee

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Products, great people. Acquisitions continue to revitalize portfolio, a friendly atmosphere where everyone works very hard. Great perks and a gym!

ConsStarting to have some "large company" problems, specifically around departments becoming silos. Sometimes larger strategies do not "trickle down" to individual teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementA specific three year plan, and specifics on each divisions responsibilities would improve performance.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!

F5 Networks Videos

F5 Networks – Why Work for Us?

​​​​Aligning business strategy and the IT infrastructure The IT infrastructure is key to the success of virtually any major business initiative, from quickly integrating a strategic acquisition to bringing products to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at F5 Networks reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for F5 Networks CEO John McAdam. All 124 reviews are posted anonymously by F5 Networks employees.