F5 Networks

F5 Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam

John McAdam

Pros
  • Good company to work for, great work culture, good work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office(in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle(in 8 reviews)

HR professional

Human Resources Professional (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat product, great people, great culture and a very positive environment. People believe in the company and there is immense satisfaction. Team work, collaboration, innovation and customer focus has been the key vision for the company and every person lives by that.

Being a part of HR it is much easier to sell the opportunity to future prospects if you believe in the company and it feels really great when they experience the same after getting here.

Great benefits, great view, work life balance and working on the cutting edge technology. Our CEO emphasizes to work hard but not to forget to have FUN.

Open door policy, you are allowed to speak your mind.

ConsCompany still operates like a start up. Though it is good in a lot of ways but to be in the game we need to invest in tools and processes so that we are ahead in the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore visibility to the employees.

Excellent Place to Work

Professional Services Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people around. Godd benifit , provide decent Bonus and other perks is also good.

ConsOverseas Development group need better management.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing good work. better time managemnt

F5 is a great company to work for

Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIn 4 years I received 3 promotions, got RSUs, and yearly salary increases. They sent me on an international all expenses paid trip with my family for doing outstanding work. My time is extremely flexible, and they pay me to ride my bike to work instead of driving.

F5 is a company that puts some effort behind their belief that their employees matter, from very flexible about work hours, to pay, to matching 401k contributions, great health coverage, and good salary.

Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly.

Promotion from within is very common, and working your way up from the starting position is absolutely achievable.

ConsBecause there are a lot of smart people, sometimes it's hard to get cross-organizational change to happen, as everyone has a good reason for their own agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross-organizational projects with management buy-off and guidance would make this an even better place to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A truly outstanding company to work for.

Web Developer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAmazing group of people to work with. Teammates are cooperative rather than competitive. The business is growing quickly and while it has the normal growing pains leadership is aware and focused on ensuring success.

ConsComplex and wide range of products can be confusing for new employees. Some teams are under resourced and need to grow talent at mid level management.

So far, so great

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsI really enjoy the "big company small feel" you get at working at F5. Even though its a global business with 4,000 employees and growing the day to day can sometimes feel almost like a startup. It's an exciting place to work. Plus there is beer in the break room fridge. I'm a pretty new here so this is a first impression.

ConsYou can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle. Some things around the development process can be confusing and resources can be difficult to find. Overall the company is handling them well but they are there.

Awesome place to work and enjoy life.

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat relaxed culture where people are supportive and helpful. People are friendly, knowledgeable, easy to talk to and get help from when needed. This has been the experience with other new hires as well in other groups. I get a mentor and plenty of support from my team and manager. As long as you are productive and able to do your job well the work load is fair and enables you to have a balanced life.

Compensation: salary, benefits and time off is generous and above industry average.

ConsThere doesn't seem to be a clear path to career develop like training etc., but that is pretty much the case everywhere. You need to drive your career no matter where you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy all the employee events from the BBQ, game nights etc. Be nice to have family events.

A wonderful company to work for - with tons of perks!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsF5 Networks is a wonderful place to work. I work within Product Development and the organization is filled with brilliant, driven people that for the most part, love their job. Making a career switch from Oracle to F5 has made my life significantly better. People around the office have a smile on their face and the morale is primarily upbeat. For the most part, the environment is very relaxed and management offers a flexible work schedule and free rein to work, given you work diligently.

Despite the fact that they are moving towards being a larger company, they still have MANY perks that great big companies do not offer (Microsoft/Oracle/HP etc). Last week, F5 put on a large event where you could dunk executives and John Adams in a water tank, win raffle prizes, and order food free of charge (from a catering company & food trucks), drink beer/wine, and listen to a live band in the courtyard (all while supporting Children's Hospital).

When offered a job at F5, I was given an increase in salary, stock options, bonus's, full benefits, and 401K match. They also have a gym with free workout classes, offer parking stipends, beer/wine Fridays, and allow you to take 1-4 hr classes for career development (management, leadership, technology, brownbags etc). In addition, when I was hired, I also got the opportunity to sign up for "Wine with the Executives" in which I got to socialize with John Adams and half of the executives in the company. They also encourage an open door policy with the executives so you have the ability to stop into one of their offices if you'd like to chat. Pretty cool!

I've been here for just under a year now and all I can say is good things about management, the company, and where we're going in the next coming years.

ConsAn area Product Development needs to improve upon is coordination and communication when new companies are acquired by F5 Networks. This can get increasingly difficult when purchasing companies over seas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Although it may get more difficult to keep the feel of a small of company, remember that it is crucial component to keeping the best talent within F5.

Great company

ProsSmart people, good salaries, awesome stock compensation options. Your job is to help make the the internet work.

ConsTeams are individually small and not very well integrated, changing between them often leads to some political drama, and the politics are excessive at times. It is very easy to get sucked into overtime work, but you won't be chastised much for ducking out of it gracefully.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have an internal process for providing continual feedback. Having been through it a couple of times, it covers anything that would go here. Keep doing that and pay attention to it, or else things will wind up here instead of there. :)

Amazing first year of employment at F5.

Vice President, Manufacturing (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe company has great products, great vision for where technology and our lives are headed in the long run and how our solutions can help organizations optimize performance and simplify visibility and management of applications and data traffic. The organization has a great can-do attitude and culture of continuous innovation, learning and improvement.
    The Seattle office is in a great location, equipment with quality facilities and equipment needed to do a good job, as well as work in a fun and relaxed work environment.
    The management team has long tenure in the company, they know most people personally and they project an aura of confidence and fun, which makes its mark on the entire organization.

ConsThe company is somewhat rigid on telecommuting and flexible work hour policies. F5 has also developed a comprehensive global footprint in various US states as well as overseas. at times it feels there work processes and communication aren't completely synchronized across those different locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote cross-functional integration and co-operation. Ensure that we "don't run too fast" and leave people and processes behind.

Amazing company, amazing work.

ProsThis company encourages constant learning in a fast paced environment, and has a great culture and sense of cohesion among employees. The benefits are great, the pay is great, and the work is very interesting and cutting edge. It's the best place I've ever worked!

ConsLong hours and weekends are sometimes expected to make deadlines, but I was aware of that before working here. The large amounts of PTO and the company parties make up for this. This company's fast growth also means that some resources such as space are becoming severely limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider expanding satellite offices that are becoming a bit cramped.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!