FAA

FAA Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta

Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other(in 8 reviews)

• Job security is decent even with sequester(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off(in 7 reviews)

• Rotating shift work, poor working conditions, micromanaged from above, adversarial labor/management culture(in 7 reviews)

air traffic controller at National Airport.

Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

Prosaviation is wonderful....something new happens every day....you cannot make a mistake so every day
    is perfect. Everyone respects the ATC and the job he does.

Consequipment breaks down much too often. The controller must maintain strict awareness 100% of the
    time while on duty.

FAA has stability and growth opportunities, but lacks in the area of bonus specific incentives like the private sector.

Computer Specialist (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsStability, work life balance and office culture.

ConsNo incentives for salary growth, stock options etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentives for growth and a more incentive based reward system which could at least somewhat try to match private sector.

A premium government agency with vast opportunities to obtain a variety of training and develop skills in any discipline

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Warrenton, VA (US)

ProsSuperior training opportunities, dynamic careers, upward mobility and ability to transfer around the country and beyond.

ConsGovernment job...pay setting can be difficult to swallow for new hires.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Telework, autonomy and leadership development

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsTelework available!!! love this.

I also love the sense of autonomy I get from my boss.

ConsLegacy mindset within the enterprise service center.

Proactive Agency

Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsConvenient to Metro
    Autonomy when leadership is happy with your work output

ConsAlways proactive never reactive. Multiple meetings to discuss what was discussed - wasted time. Things have to go through several layers of approval before it's actually given any thought. Nepotism and favoritism is rampant. Disconnect between what senior leadership verbalizes and what actually happens at the worker level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to employees. Enforce policy and procedures. Encourage cooperation and foster good customer service.

It's good, but it could have been better

Computer Scientist (Current Employee) Atlantic City, NJ (US)

ProsI was a student intern here and got a permanent job right after. The people are great. The job is easy. The benefits are good. It's a laid-back typical government office working environment.

ConsA lot of politics. Watch your back, and there are a lot of back stabbers that are just looking for opportunities to bring you down if you are looking to a higher position. Some managers, program offices and program managers do NOT know anything about management, leadership, or even the actual project that they are supposed to be "managing" . If you do well, and the project has a great turn out, they'll take all credit and not even to mention your name. It is very hard to get to upper management level as you have to have connection and majority of the people that I work with are just so l-a-z-y and s-l-o-w-w-w

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to encourage junior employees to look for opportunities to raise. Need to improve schedule management, and keep things in line. Make logic decisions and do NOT let someone else to make decision for you.

Full of fakeness

ProsBenefits and job security.

ConsManagers run the show. If you cannot play the fake game and smooch up to the necessary people. Your advancement is null, regardless of your knowledge and contributions.

I have enjoyed my time at the FAA but it's time to move on

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe office I work in provides me with a lot of Independence and I am not micromanaged. I work on my projects and meet my deadlines, which keeps my management happy.

ConsThe biggest con of working here (and probably at most government agencies) is the unfair distribution of the work load. If you are productive and get work done, then they pile the work on you, knowing that the project will get done. If you are lazy and unproductive, eventually management doesn't want to deal with you and just stops giving you work. This makes it harder on the employees that actually care and function. It breeds a lot of resentment (for me personally) and is the reason I'm looking for a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with your poor performers! Not only for their sake, but for the sake of your other valuable employees who carry most of the workload and will eventually get really resentful at the amount of work they have to do while others waste time, and therefore leave. Or if they decide not to leave, eventually they will stop caring and you'll have another unproductive warm body to deal with.

C# developer for the FAA

ProsGood pay for the work. Never busy

Consnever busy. Laid back. Yes, this is a con. You can never get a raise or bonus. Only apply for another position.

A full career of adventure and integrity

Aerospace Manager (Current Employee) Lakewood, CA (US)

ProsLots of challenge and diversity in work projects

ConsLots of politics to carefully dodge

Advice to Senior ManagementPick problem solvers and train the rest

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!