FTI Consulting

Updated 14 December 2014
3.2

FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Pros
  • Better pay than the Big 4, good work-life balance, opportunities for career progression (in 14 reviews)

• You learn a lot from an incredibly talented group of people (wish they did a better job of making them want to stay) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little professional development beyond informal day-to-day management; little work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• long hours and work load distribution among different teams is unacceptable to some (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Capital Markets Investor Research

I have been working at FTI Consulting

Pros

Flexible schedule, Colleagues, Remote access

Cons

Demanding hours, compensation, culture, non-collaborative

Accountability

Good company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment. Great opportunity to learn from experts in various topics. Room to advance through the corporate ladder. Typically entails challenging projects. Good compensation. Semi-flexible with schedule depending on the project. Annual bonuses.

Cons

Long hours prohibit a good work/life balance. Sometimes very stressful. Some of the health insurance benefits could be better.

Corporate Finance Intern

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Overall good experience. Work directly under MDs on projects. Will put you on the road for certain cases. Learned a lot about the lifestyle and nature of consulting from traveling and working directly with clients. Good pay.

Cons

If business is slow, work can be extremely boring. In addition, large learning curve to a lot of the work you will be doing, and not much training, even if you are a finance person.

Great experience, good culture, people willing to help you grow and learn

Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great people
    -Good work/life balance
    -Great opportunity to know people in your team

Cons

Not sure since I only stayed for one month but one con would be you only get to know people in your division

It was a greta experience

I have been working at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were great. I really liked the people who worked in my group. They were very helpful and spent time making sure you got adjusted.

Cons

The HR feedback was very slow.

The culture of the company is great.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at FTI Consulting as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent rate for the work I do. Long project. Convenient, new offices. Some snacks, tea, coffee and milk provided

Cons

Bosses treat people at different levels differently. The non-stars get bad treatment. You can tell by the treatment what level you are. The direct boss is a passive aggressive snake, capable of any kind of low behavior, would rather complain to higher ups than talk to employees directly, would make you wait for things to get back at you. The snacks were wonderful at the beginning, now the feeling is that the crappiest least popular snacks are being ordered (don't get me wrong I appreciate what they provide, but why go from decent snacks to crap?). I think the popular snacks stopped being ordered because the people quickly emptied the supply, now the snacks remain. If I had another long lasting opportunity with the same pay, I would leave.

Don't treat people like crap, even the lower level employees need decent treatment. Also, stop with the passive aggressive behavior. Teach direct managers how to manage well.

Investment banking hours, public service pay

Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Vice President Level in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Associate/Assistant Vice President Level in New York, NY (US)

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the communications group which is very different from the economic consulting group. There are SOME smart people, experience depends on which team you are working for and your respective bosses. You get exposure to different clients and scenarios which is good. It's probably a good place to start off at at the beginning of your career. Do a few years and then move on.

Cons

There is a sense of chaos in the day to day account management. Teams are slow to recognize talent and poorly promote/compensate the brightest and the best. The long hours pulled throughout the year (and I mean long) are quickly forgotten about during the March/April comp season. For this reason there tends to be a high turnover.

Promote work-life balance.

Great people, interesting work, pay was average

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. People were friendly and smart. The work was interesting for the most part, and office was a nice place to work

Cons

Compensation was just average compared to the value you provide. The hours were kinda long as well.

Reward high performers better to retain better talent. Also, listen to your employees. If you have employees who want to travel, staff those people on the travel engagements vs people who are sick of it.

Friendly culture, interesting projects, good work-life balance.

Former Employee - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - , Health Solutions in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great investment into training interns and new hires, great learning experiences. Great firm culture and atmosphere; everyone is very supportive and friendly.

Cons

At the lower levels, not as much exposure to client-facing work. Sometimes, work can be a little repetitive. Because of the friendly nature of the people, I didn't receive as much constructive criticism as I would have liked to.

When law firms need financial records, they need people like us to go through databases and hard copies and compile them

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, quarterly bonus based on billable hours in excess of targets, solid technology skill set, larger than average annual salary increase, large variety of projects

Cons

Little grad school assistance is offered. Lots of redundant work sometimes stretching several days doing the same thing. Boring office environment. Very little work culture.

Add more formal training and 1 on 1 teaching/mentoring. There are other activities that should result in bonuses other than just Billable hours.