Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Offices are usually in a great location, with loads of perks like free food"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Best Place to learn

Software Developer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing work culture, you never see it as a work place

ConsLong Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should identify the young talents

Form employee #514

Senior Manager Data Center Operations (Former Employee)
Ashburn, VA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place, great mission, great creativity and upper managment support behind creativity

Consgetting to large to execute on creative ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is aware of the employee scaling issues and works on "drift" control constantly.

Facebook is a great company to work for

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsFacebook is a company that trusts your abilities and talent. You're given so much responsibility and learn something everyday.
The culture is beyond compare, you work with people from all over the world and with different work- and educational backgrounds - and everyone is committed to making the platform better and help the world connect.

ConsBeing a young team can be a good and a bad thing. It's great for innovation and ambition, but it can certainly lack the necessary experience to foresee challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open about projects, products and changes in the org.

It's not a job, it's an experience

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsFast-paced environment, constant iteration, no time to get bored but plenty of time and opportunities to learn and get smarter. A lot of experienced engineers and non-engineers, willing to share every last bit of their knowledge.

ConsDisparity of perks and pay between HQ and satellite offices is somewhat de-motivating, but those who can and want can always move to HQ if they can find a place there (not that hard, actually) - so not a complaint as such, just a point worth mentioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep trying not to become one of those old-school corporations tied up in red-tape

A knowledge enriching experience

Developer Advocate (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people , good knowledge sharing

Consu ve to be really really fast to catch up with the pace .

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

ProsThe people at Facebook are smart, creative and very approachable. The company has an open and horizontal work culture which makes it easy to have discussions across teams. The perks are awesome and it's always exciting and rewarding to go to work every day. The internal tools are great and the way that the company uses Groups, internally, makes it easy to ask colleagues for solutions to issues you might be facing in your work.

Also, I had the best experience with the Facebook recruiting team, they really care about you as a candidate and their communication is efficient, kind and transparent. Overall, a really amazing place to work!

ConsNot really a major issue, there's always a lot of stuff happening so sometimes it can be hard to focus on your work. You need to develop good self-discipline to prevent distraction, especially if you come from a very corporate work environment.

I felt like a subclass of employee at work everyday

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFree food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location.

ConsWhat was promised by the recruiter on the phone and in the interviews was very different than what reality as a contractor was actually like.

There is a clear separation between you and full-time employees. Physically, your full time counter-parts, that are on your team, will either sit on the other side of the aisle or in a separate part of the office than you so that you understand that you are not one of them and have as minimal interaction with them as possible. Culturally, they talk down to you and try to make you feel less than them (yes, word gets around the office), give you the tasks none of them want to do and will also give you as little amount of responsibility as they can.

As a contractor your job will be about as repetitive as they come because the FTE's will allocate you the most mind numbing of all work at Facebook. Your job consists of 3 second intervals of decision over and over for the course of an entire day.

FTE's will have parties and day trips away from the office that you simply can not go to. What made it worse was that many times the contractors would not know that the FTE's would have the day off and the contractors would come in to work and have the entire workload on their shoulders. A prime example of how little FTE's care about you.

In one instance I was told to leave the office in the middle of my workday and find a new place to work because the full time employee's were going to have a beer pong party. The environment is very hypocritical because the walls are covered with posters about inclusion, acceptance and empowerment but Facebook Austin excludes and shuns a huge number of the people that work their.

I have never had a more aloof manager in my entire live. I think my manager though it was cool to not care about what I did. It was awful. He/She gave no instruction, no guidance, no evaluation, no conversation, no eye contact, no meetings, didnt speak assertively and with confidence. This was not a laissez-faire management. This was an I dont care management style.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring 12 month contractors and invest in people or, why not just outsource it. Contractors are put in their own corner of the office and you dont see us anyways.

Dont promise contract workers the world then give them a very underwhelming and under paid job where the feel like a subclass in their own workplace.

Encourage managers to care and/or interact with their contracts. I talked to my manager about once a month (usually when I was asked to work the weekends).

Move fast!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsMuch freedom. Brilliant people. Awesome projects.

ConsSalary in London is significantly lower than in West Coast.

Fun company, bad product in my opinion.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of interesting problems to solve.

ConsLots of boring problems to solve.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keepin on.

It was really Awesome <3 Love you mark <3 <3

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Teamwork! , Great CEO ,Great Engineers

ConsLess work life management , Over work ,

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employment better and keep respect

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 634 reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees.