Facebook Reviews

952 reviews filtered by
4.4
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

1. Amazing experience, never a dull day.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Industry changing work. Forward thinking team. Casual workplace.

Cons

Long hours, challenging at times.

2. Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are excellent, iss them!

Cons

too much food! I have gained 10 pounds!

Advice to Management

Slow down

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Facebook is THE place to work

Current Contractor - Community Operations Contractor in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Contractor - Community Operations Contractor in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen with 3 catered meals a day and unlimited snacks/drinks, Relaxed, open office environment, ping pong, fun and collaborative teams, work hard play hard attitude, couches, etc.

Cons

Difficult to move from contract to contract or contract to full-time/permanent position. Can seem cutthroat at times in office.

Engineer

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

good company, innovative and fast pacing

Cons

n/a i feel it is a great company full of talents

7. Software Engineer

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been an amazing experience. I've met intelligent people, I've learned tons of good stuff, and I had great fun! There's this contagious enthusiasm that gets you and makes you give more and more!

Cons

A few colleagues were a bit arrogant but that's not a reason not to like the company, the world is full of this kind of people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job! Give interns some vacation days, they would like to visit the area while they're doing their internship

Team Lead

Former Employee - Team Lead in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Smart people. Cutting edge technologies. Amazing food.

Cons

Some huge, out-of-control egos in management, especially at the middle layers. Couple that with the general immaturity of the company and you'll see some very poor judgement and "Game of Thrones" style politics in a few departments.

Average tenure of a staff engineer is about 4 years - mostly because after the initial stock grants vest there is near zero incentive for anyone under a Director level to stay any longer.

Culture creates and fosters entitled whiners - so much so that it is a running joke inside the company, with groups such as "Patently Absurd Requests for Facebook Offices" making fun of it all. But then again, this company is largely made up of the "participation trophy" generation, who have been told they were super-special since they were born. Being hired by Facebook amplifies that self-esteem level well beyond eleven.

It is never spoken about, but staff turnover is huge. The washout rate of n00bs is likely around 40%. Truly talented staff move around, so team continuity is rare.

Zero work-life balance - unless you happen to have a kid while working there.

Advice to Management

Fix the broken review and calibration cycle, especially the schedule and unspoken stack ranking. Strive for higher competence levels in departments outside of Engineering - starting with HR.

Stop heaping huge rewards on people who ship shiny, Zuck-pleasing products that utterly fail in the marketplace.

Simply amazing

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every morning when I go in, I feel like the luckiest guy on earth for ever landing a job here.

Projects: Every team is understaffed, so there is a ton of incredibly important work to do everywhere. Because of this, you can work on high-impact (and potentially high-visibilty) projects from Day 1.

Autonomy: I've always felt extremely trusted in both my technical competency and prioritization skills. Management is (generally) helpful when I want help, but mostly I've been able to do my own thing and work on whatever project feels most important to the company and/or interesting to me.

People: Everyone is really smart, and most people are really friendly, funny, and generally awesome to hang out with.

Food: Amazing. Healthy options are phenomenal, as are the unhealthy ones.

Gym: The staff is incredible.

So much more!

Cons

- Stress: The company likes to run slim. As mentioned in the pros above, this means you're always working on impactful projects, but it also means your team is understaffed and you may have to work some nights and weekends to get stuff done (though definitely not as bad as the previous strartup I worked for). The more teams you work with, the worse this can get, since some people love to load up on meetings during the day.

Egos: There are some people who are really full of themselves and difficult to work with. This happens anywhere I've been, but there's a special brand of self-importance among some folks here. Fortunately, I've never had to work too closely with these people, but they make their presence known.

Advice to Management

Zuck: Keep doing what you're doing. You articulate a great vision for the company and always seem very "real" at Q&As.

Lower management: Live true to the company goals. Unblock your reports, play to their strengths, and help them grow. Instead of requesting "more leadership" from ICs, say what that means and provide coaching.

I'm amazed by the fabulous people I get to work alongside daily.

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, transparency amongst the company, deep investment in the individual, caters to personal strengths.

Cons

Its growing extremely quickly that I worry pieces of the fun-loving, close, collaborative environment may not be at the same level.

Advice to Management

Invest in keeping analysts happy in their current roles to decrease the high mobility amongst teams.

11. This is an amazing place to work

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

-smart people
    -relative autonomy
    -impact all over the world
    -unbeatable perks

Cons

Be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing--you're building something truly special.