Facebook

www.facebook.com
Employer Engaged

Feels much more like big company than they'd lead you to believe in the interview process.

Former Employee - Operations in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart co-workers, fast-paced atmosphere, great networking (strong ex-employee groups after you leave), constantly changing and evolving. Mark is a strong product leader. Ability to leverage the experience for more fulfilling opportunities after you leave.

Cons

Very difficult work environment - extremely political, it combines many of the worst elements of a startup (uncertainty, lack of structure, cult-like worship of leaders) and a big company (hierarchical, hard to advance, lack of trust and needless internal competition). Large amounts of nepotism around promotions. A general culture of fear - middle management is terrified of senior management. While very smart, your colleagues will also be extremely arrogant and willing to do anything to get noticed/promoted. In general, this is not a place to go to make friends or feel like you're working together as part of a team.

TheFacebook needs real managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Cool; (duh, it's Facebook!). Great resources, lots of 'candy' (e.g. free food, parties,...), super autonomous (do your job anyway you want as long as it gets done. Have a trip to Menlo Park; no problem, etc...). Great impact (did I mention the billion+ people using this thing?). Great culture (when applied - see notes below). Great benefits (salary, shares, medical, 401k,...)

Cons

Bad work / life balance - you better be jusr out of college with no wife/husband/partner; nor any children.
    They do not know how to deal with senior people. Managers are just employees who do more work; they do not have time or the need to help out. I have seen a few people get thrown under the bus by the boss - why defend your team when Menlo Parks complains because they do not know what you are doing; fix another task and get new employees.

Get real managers. I have seen many people from your Seattle office leave or "get helped" to leave - they were not bad employees and you paid a lot to acquire them - you have a revolving door because you have junior managers - at best - running the office; and they report to even less trained managers in Menlo Park. You are making tons of money right now and it probably won't show up for quite some time, but, at one point, poor people management will cause pains to Facebook - in 5 years you will be like Google and in 10 you will be like Microsoft. Fix it now!
    I totally believed in the Culture and Values which Facebook says it has... I have not seen it applied evenly.

Make a real impact on a lot of people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook is easily dismissed as just a social network, and the nature of the product makes it subject to a lot of critique. However, if you take a step back, it's truly marvelous that a product supports about a billion users everyday.

Career opportunities are great, you can move fast and contribute, the company pays for all your stuff, the company has tons of money, tremendous job security if you make an impact, free food, tons of perks that I cannot even begin to list, great young talented coworkers, amazing lively environment (not slow, like Google), great benefits, compensation.

Cons

Engineering isn't as advanced as Google (owing to very young age and inexperience of workers),
    You can find messy code if you look in the nooks and crannies.

Once in a lifetime opportunity to create solutions for problems at a scale that not many other companies can even touch.

Current Employee - SMB Marketing in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SMB Marketing in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture
    - Top leadership
    - Product strength
    - Ability to learn

Cons

- It's growing big rapidly, and new rung of leadership is not always clued into "Facebook" culture and style
    - Many teams still bias towards personalities - it matters who you know at Facebook

Really nice job

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good food
    full health care and lots of other benefits like transport or gym reimbursement
    huge impact on IT world

Cons

well, not as many offices as Google has

Make more offices

Fulfilling roles with lots of responsibility working towards fulfilling a powerful mission.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flat org structures
    Growing company and professional opportunities
    Open and transparent leadership
    Incredible employee perks

Cons

Frequent management and org changes

Pleasantly surprised

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Feels like combining a startup-like focus on actual problems with enough resources to keep surprising me.
    I'm still trying to figure out how the company makes this approach work at scale, but it works.
    I have to prove myself all the time which I really love - no coasting on past achievements. Keeps me sharp.

Cons

Performance reviews are tricky. I'm working on using them to help me improve focus, but so far it still feels like being graded (my experience is startups with no such mechanism).

Good

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great culture, super awesome place

Cons

Poor advancement, very clique like

Awesome

Great Culture

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Engineers First, Period.
    Code ships fast.
    Bored, easy transfer to other internal teams.
    Easy to take lead on new projects.

Cons

Takes a while to earn credibility if not senior when you sign on

Great place to work & grow at!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The amount of freedom each individual has is amazing. Tons of perks :D The culture is now more balanced, we move fast but also focus on maintaining stability. I had to move to a new country to join Facebook but never felt out of place. Never felt like a job to me.

Cons

We have a very active social life with colleagues, but is limited to weekends with other friends. From what I've seen its tougher to maintain work-life balance once you are married.