Facebook

Updated 25 November 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Culture

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Company has the smartest people I've ever worked with. The work life balance is pretty healthy. Although everyone works extremely hard, they are also able to focus on things outside of the workplace.

Cons

Needs to be more synchronization of culture across all offices, especially when it comes to pace and inter-team culture.

as the company scales faster and massively larger, consider taking time to develop managers - equip them with meaningful training for their tool kit.

Empowering, exciting, relaxing and stressful at the same time ;)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The impact on the world one can have is sometimes hard to fathom.
    Also, most of the employees are just such decent human beings that it really skews the perspective on the world's population.

Cons

As it is probably the case with most US tech companies, people tend to work a lot and it kinda creates stress for ones that want to have a personal life as well.

Figure out the problem of "celebrities" in the management - there are some really bad ones.

very good place for engineers

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice PTO policy, nice sick leave policy, nice salary and stock options. very good

Cons

fb is a big company now. fresh engineers are kind of limited to their role

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..

An incredible hidden experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, culture, values, motivation, determination, people, compensation, arcade, gym, shuttles, free food, just about everything you could think of. They also have unlimited sick days. People really care about your health here.

Cons

No one outside of this company knows how amazing this is. One of the biggest flaws I believe. I try to explain our values to outsiders and they don't believe me. You try to look them up on the internet and you won't find them. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. I would love for this to be fixed and I sure hope it does!

Don't be afraid to give Facebook a voice of its own. It needs to share the amazing respect and values that it has to achieve its goals.

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing experience, good peers and good benefits.

Cons

Cannot think of any real problems with this place.

Amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smartest people to work with
    - Great benefits (free food for breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    - Healthy work environment and an amazing working culture

Cons

Even though it is a great company to work for, it is still very hard to manage all the tasks you have to perform.

just awesome

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Comes with lots of intellectual challenges!

Cons

It can be stressful sometimes

A Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Digital in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Digital in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

There is nothing bad here