Facebook Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

The Toughest (non-military) Job You'll Ever Love

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Facebook was the longest job I ever held, and it's testament to the people, the product and the perks. You're surrounded by an astounding number of really smart, accomplished people who are really dedicated to the company and its mission of connecting the world. Watching the company grow as the product grew from fewer than 50 million users to well over a billion in a few years was an astounding feat.

It's a work hard, play hard place. During my time there, the layers of management did grow, but the organization really strove to stay as nimble and fast-moving as possible. Most of the time, people are recognized and rewarded for their impact.

The perks are up there with the rest of the top Silicon Valley companies. And I really do miss taking a shuttle to work now.

Cons

Depending upon your role, you can find your growth options limiting.

The "work hard" half of the ethos can really burn some people out. (then again, I guess the "play hard" side could do the same...)

There is a bit of an entitlement mentality among some people there, but leadership and others try to stamp that out.

Don't let Sheryl leave!

Massive impact in a short amount of time

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This review is for my 3 month internship.

-Amazingly fast process and a huge amount of control:
      I was given a project and told to run with it. This is both terrifying and awesome, as I got to control an entire new feature. Architecture and design decisions of the feature were made primarily by me, something that I was not really allowed to do in previous internships.

-Fun, smart, and friendly people
      Some of the people on my team were intimidatingly good programming beasts, but talking to them felt super natural and easy. Additionally, my team had several happy hours/ weekly pub crawls where we got to know each other.

Cons

Work/Life balance: Many interns I knew worked weekends and/or late nights. I personally never worked weekends, but have definitely pulled some 12-hr days the week of release dates.

Amazing working conditions, great company culture, open and fast

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great facilities, very open culture, working with amazing individuals from multiple backgrounds, very fast paced and constantly changing in a good way and good career growth opportunities.

Cons

Currently working as a Contractor, so some of the perks are limited like some amazing company events you're allowed to attend but that's understandable.

Energetic, independent work environment

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly smart, dedicated people working together in a fun environment to really drive towards the future. Facebook really walks the talk on having a truly open & transparent culture. If you want to make something happen (from a product feature to an employee event); you will have greater tools & receptivity form leadership than anywhere i've ever worked prior.

Cons

Communicating/building relationships with key cross-functional colleagues can be harder from a satellite office + as the company continues to grow in staff in general.

Keep up the great work! Your energy, honesty, passion for people, and true transparency is inspiring on a personal & a professional level; that makes me proud to come to work everyday.

Opportunity to have real impact

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

FB faces a lot of challenges that no other company in the world faces due to it's size and scale. I really like working on products that my friends and family use on a regular basis.
    Everyone is smart and driven and you can learn a lot just from those around you.
    The company leaders are really inspiring and some of the best in their fields.

Cons

Work can get pretty hectic and sometimes the work-life balance is skewed too much towards work.
    Compensation is solid but the cost of living in California is crazy.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Ad Review Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Ad Review Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt! Working with a team that has common goals and works to improve your ability.

Cons

As a contractor, your hours may not be normal and there is an end in sight, but you're not treated as an outsider. People still include you on most things, which is great.

Move fast, have fun, make an impact -- proud to work here

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is open, friendly, fast, fun -- and competitive, in the best way possible. I've never worked in an environment where people are so ready to pitch in, work together, and praise others for a job well done, while at the same time constructive and pointed feedback is encouraged, accepted, and acted upon. Yes, the perks are excellent -- free food and snacks, great benefits, etc. But it's the environment and culture, and the caliber of people we hire (technical and non-technical alike) that make it such an incredible place to work. Work-life balance is tough anywhere, but I come from a job where you were on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and vacations were rare (and managers certainly didn't encourage you to take them). Here it's the opposite. We work a lot but managers tend to be cognizant of burnout, and actively encourage folks to spend more time outside of the office, be with our families, and take time for ourselves.

Cons

Because things move so quickly, and it's such an open environment, there is occasionally needless duplication of work. But while frustrating, it's incredibly rare.

Sometimes it seems like middle management needs to communicate amongst themselves better, so as to give better guidance to the rest of the workforce. Beyond that -- advice would be to just keep it up. You've built a wonderful culture and atmosphere, with a clear mission, for which I'm proud to work.

Has been very useful both socially and business wise

Current Employee - Online Marketer in Roseau (Dominica)
    Current Employee - Online Marketer in Roseau (Dominica)

I have been working at Facebook part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great reach of people to interact with, Customers are a click away, Access to companies all over the world, The overall benefits are great and suit my lifestyle

Cons

Lots of time spend in front of the computer, leaving not much time for home, friends and group outings. Saturated market means its harder to achieve goals

You guys are great all around

Move fast! Take ownership.

Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great.
    Benefits are still lacking a little behind main competitor in developing countries.

Cons

Although regional and global leadership are amazing, local leadership is not that great.
    Which is also great because it creates a lot of room for us to grow.

Great experience working with very professional individuals

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great company culture, awesome pay, and wonderful events to keep you excited about the company!

Cons

there were some difficulties in communication with the team but overall great experience

maybe spend a little more tiem on training