Facebook

Updated 16 November 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 82 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing experience, good peers and good benefits.

Cons

Cannot think of any real problems with this place.

An incredible hidden experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, culture, values, motivation, determination, people, compensation, arcade, gym, shuttles, free food, just about everything you could think of. They also have unlimited sick days. People really care about your health here.

Cons

No one outside of this company knows how amazing this is. One of the biggest flaws I believe. I try to explain our values to outsiders and they don't believe me. You try to look them up on the internet and you won't find them. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. I would love for this to be fixed and I sure hope it does!

Don't be afraid to give Facebook a voice of its own. It needs to share the amazing respect and values that it has to achieve its goals.

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..

I need to go back.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great snacks
    - Micro kitchen perks
    - Amazing weather
    - Great community building
    - Lots of networking opportunities
    - Feeling of family
    - Laid back vibe

Cons

- Waking up every morning to ride the shuttle
    - Being a hs student meaning not being able to go to the gym
    - Not being a part of the q&as with mark

Amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smartest people to work with
    - Great benefits (free food for breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    - Healthy work environment and an amazing working culture

Cons

Even though it is a great company to work for, it is still very hard to manage all the tasks you have to perform.

just awesome

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Comes with lots of intellectual challenges!

Cons

It can be stressful sometimes

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Digital in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Digital in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

There is nothing bad here

A Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

The best of the best

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company perks, work that you do, and the tools to enable you to get that work done are unparalleled or equal to best in the industry. It does not get better than this.
    Culture is open and there you mostly know where the company is headed.

Cons

Facebook has a highly customized codebase, and that should be supported by the same level of documentation.
    Now the company is big enough that there are groups of people that stay with each other according to their tenure at the company, and that sometimes is hard for someone newer.

Keep up the awesome work. Work a little more on new employee integration and keeping the culture alive.

A workplace with a lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The main reason why working for Facebook is great, is the opportunity to move roles as it allows you to always strive on your ambition and face more interesting challenges. It gives you the opportunity to constantly excel.
    - Another benefit of working here is the fact that almost most of the colleagues are high achievers, thus always inspiring to do more and to do it better.
    - The culture is very warm, open and fun. I worry that I would never be able to find this working environment again.
    - Salary is very competitive, benefits are very fair.
    - Moreover, the working environment is full of respect, and even in case there was a disagreement it would never amount to more than that, usually solvable and manager is ready to step in and find a solution, all done in a very smooth and civil way.
    - The parties are super awesome, and the time they invest in them, shows how much they care about making us happy!

Cons

Since you're surrounded by high achievers, you could probably have sleepless nights. Yet this is only to drive yourself and challenge yourself. I wouldn't say it's a complete con, unless you let it affect you very negatively. Because on the other hand we are always encourage to apply work life balance.