Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated 16 September 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

331 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Content Writer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

There isn't enough space to write them all. You work with the best, smartest, most interesting people in the world. You are working on problems that can touch over 1 billion people. If we don't have the tools we need to do something, we make them, then do what we wanted to do. I've never worked at a place that so inspiring, creative, and FUN as this one. I've been here for over a year and I am STILL not upset when it's Monday and I have to go back to work.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when you want to work on something, but have to prioritize something else that's higher impact. Luckily my manager works with me to ensure that I always have some time allocated to what I'm passionate about.

You're doing a fantastic job. The fact that you've been able to scale this culture as well as you have is a true testament to how much you love it here as well.

Great place to work

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's so inspiring to work with so many professional and smart people in such a free atmosphere. Every project you're working on is both challenging and interesting.

Cons

Basically I find it hard to complain about Facebook. Although I heard someone complained about the work/life balance, I really feel at ease about it and it depends on the team you're working on.

Software engineer. Great culture, lots of fun.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, easy to talk to anyone you want throughout the company. I felt like I was given a challenging task and able to grow as an engineer.

Cons

Everyone is very skilled. Depending on your team, it can be hard to 'stand out' (debatable as to whether this is a con or not).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, great prospects

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If Facebook calls you, at least listen to the pitch. There are no downsides to working at Facebook. The brand currently has enormous respect, and work is nice (although demanding). To succeed, you need to be a self starter and there is an astonishing lack of ego. In many ways, this might be the most perfect work environment.

Cons

There is no downside to working at Facebook. I do not expect to stay long, but I will stay long enough.

I have no advice to management and if I did, I would say so at an "all hands."

Massive impact in a short amount of time

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This review is for my 3 month internship.

-Amazingly fast process and a huge amount of control:
      I was given a project and told to run with it. This is both terrifying and awesome, as I got to control an entire new feature. Architecture and design decisions of the feature were made primarily by me, something that I was not really allowed to do in previous internships.

-Fun, smart, and friendly people
      Some of the people on my team were intimidatingly good programming beasts, but talking to them felt super natural and easy. Additionally, my team had several happy hours/ weekly pub crawls where we got to know each other.

Cons

Work/Life balance: Many interns I knew worked weekends and/or late nights. I personally never worked weekends, but have definitely pulled some 12-hr days the week of release dates.

The Toughest (non-military) Job You'll Ever Love

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Facebook was the longest job I ever held, and it's testament to the people, the product and the perks. You're surrounded by an astounding number of really smart, accomplished people who are really dedicated to the company and its mission of connecting the world. Watching the company grow as the product grew from fewer than 50 million users to well over a billion in a few years was an astounding feat.

It's a work hard, play hard place. During my time there, the layers of management did grow, but the organization really strove to stay as nimble and fast-moving as possible. Most of the time, people are recognized and rewarded for their impact.

The perks are up there with the rest of the top Silicon Valley companies. And I really do miss taking a shuttle to work now.

Cons

Depending upon your role, you can find your growth options limiting.

The "work hard" half of the ethos can really burn some people out. (then again, I guess the "play hard" side could do the same...)

There is a bit of an entitlement mentality among some people there, but leadership and others try to stamp that out.

Don't let Sheryl leave!

Opportunity to have real impact

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

FB faces a lot of challenges that no other company in the world faces due to it's size and scale. I really like working on products that my friends and family use on a regular basis.
    Everyone is smart and driven and you can learn a lot just from those around you.
    The company leaders are really inspiring and some of the best in their fields.

Cons

Work can get pretty hectic and sometimes the work-life balance is skewed too much towards work.
    Compensation is solid but the cost of living in California is crazy.

Engineer, Infra team Menlo Park, CA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked in half a dozen companies in my career and this is definitely one of the top two. I suspect I will rate FB #1 by next year. The work is intellectually challenging, the environment is fast-paced, and the people I work with are excellent. FB has its eye on the ball at all times for its core platform yet is always looking at other opportunities for growth, though they may take several years to bear fruit. Management is open and accessible, particularly the weekly Q&A's with MZ and the leadership team - I've never experienced senior executives sharing that much information with an entire company before. Colleagues are easy to work with - not a lot of ego or politics that I've seen. In fact, we are reminded to check our ego as we enter the building - there is a lot of cooperation here.
    The benefits & perks are really amazing - I don't think college hires or interns truly appreciate what is offered here unless they have worked for other employers. (You can never take these things for granted, so I really appreciate these perks.) And the total compensation structure seems very competitive - they have many dials and buttons to play with, and I feel I am well-compensated for my contributions.
    The commute benefits are excellent, and make it really easy to use transit, shuttles or vanpools. Driving to work is just so stressful, both ways. I'd really rather not.

Cons

Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours. But since I've only been here less than a year, it's important to show results early. The learning curve is steep and the bar is set very high, so it will be easy to separate the productive from the not-very-productive in a short timeline.

Wander around more often to individual offices to get a good reading on people and their issues.

Inspiring internship experience

Former Employee - Facebook U  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Facebook U in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interns are well treated with challenging and meaningful projects, amazing perks, housing, transportation, free food. talented, fun and hardworking colleagues. In addition, over the summer, we received famous political figures such as Hilary Clinton , Malala Yousafzai, Buzz Aldrin.

Cons

Sometimes, the projects can be challenging which may result in short nights of sleep (5-6 hours) and if you are interested in business and engineering, it may be hard to be exposed to both at the same time due to the scale of the company.

N/A

Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Terrific Company, great internships that have high risk and reward.

Cons

Full time employees have on-call shifts, which means being available 24/7. But interns don't have to do on-call

Keep the openness of choosing your own team for full time hires

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!