FactSet

Updated 28 February 2015
3.7

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley
Philip A. Hadley

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance and there is a general nice feel around the place (in 81 reviews)

• very good work life balance; nice coworkers; no pushing; soft deadline; free lunch (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to balance out the work/life balance very well (in 11 reviews)

• No career path defined and joining diffeent teams is riven with red tape (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits, but leading nowhere

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed work environment
    - Good exposure to the industry
    - Solid initial training

Good benefits:
     - Health Care
     - Lunch
     - Coffee
     - Paid CFA study

Cons

- Poor pay (starts low and doesn't take off)
    - Limited avenues for career development. You will most likely have to jump companies to move roles
    - No stock options overseas
    - Lots of career lifers (makes it hard to move up)
    - Limited feeling of achievement or success. You can work hard or take it easy and probably end up in the same place.
    - As a consultant you are bottom of the pile; others benefit from your work more than you do

Increase options for career advancement
    Promote and reward achievement

Good

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Overall good people and culture. If you're able to find your way into the right group, it can be a great experience. Compensation is pretty good for the first few years given the work/life balance. Interesting clients and products. New president is a welcome change.

Cons

No clear compensation incentives for taking business risk. Up until recently, the old boys club had held on to senior positions for 2+ decades. The company is run with an intense focus on the shareholders (could be a pro depending on where you sit).

Provide opportunity for hard workers to move around within the company. Keep shaking things up and manage out anyone coasting (there are plenty of them).

A truly great, fun place to work with a few significant problems

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Some of the best people (both in terms of software engineering ability, and personality) that I've ever met work at FactSet. The work provided by most teams is generally fairly interesting, and while this definetly varies from team to team, engineers get a lot of autonomy in how they go about solving problems. Work life balance was insanely good - it was completly possible to work 35 hours a week on my team, though I usually did 40-50 because I'm a motivated youngster. Free lunch helps make the company more social. Their new hire orientation makes it super easy to make new friends, which is awesome for someone straight out of college and living in a new place. Benifits are good, urban office locations are all superb.

Cons

Technical debt is rampant. FactSet is home to some of the laziest, most incompotent people I have worked with. The environment does not appeal to the most ambitious employees, many of whom leave FactSet after 1 or 2 years to work for more challenging companies. There is a TON of red tape involved in switching teams, and the company is organized such that many teams have work that is very unnapealling to younger engineers. Your experience at FactSet for your first 1.5 years will be determined by how lucky you are when placed on a team, and your experience after that will be determined by your political finesse.

Let people move between teams more freely - this will definetly help you retain talented people. Clean up the technical cruft! There should be official policies about documentation and code reviews - currently, teams get to set their own policies on such things, leading to a very inconsistant software engineering culture.

Great fun, but can't see myself working long-term here.

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Free shuttle service
    - Free drinks
    - Generous benefits
    - Managers actually listen to ideas
    - Regular peer reviews/performance appraisals with performance-based bonuses
    - Employees are regularly updated about the market performance of the company

Cons

- Limited opportunities for career growth or change. I think they prefer external over internal hires.
    - They generously increase your salary, but there are much more better-paying companies out there.
    - The work quickly becomes repetitive (I have been working here for only less than three years).

I feel that the local management has become increasingly strict, which may explain why many long-time employees have recently left the company in favor of another.

Great place to work and grow!

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Constantly learning, great opportunity for growth, and always challenging environment due to surrounding colleagues motivation.

Cons

Growing and change can be scary to some but provides a lot of opportunity

Communication from upper management constantly improving. Keep it up

Solid company to work for

I worked at FactSet

Pros

FactSet is a very good company. It has a solid foundation, flexible work environment, challenging assignments and good people to surround yourself with.

Cons

If you don't like commuting to Manhattan or CT, it is tough as the locations for non-sales folks are limtted.

great work life balance

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

culture is awesome, compensation is grand - they really take care of you, and values are fully shown in their actions, way they treat employees

Cons

can be boring at times

none

Great place to start

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

FactSet has a good corporate culture and they try to provide great benefits. Starting your career here can be great and is a fun place to work. You'll get free lunch 4 days of the week.

Cons

FactSet is going through a lot of changes and it's not as easy to grow as it used to be. You also won't make much money unless you're in Sales.

Good at first - beware of the long-term

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay: The pay, at first, when I joined FactSet was generous as a graduate.

People: The people on your level are the ones that make FactSet a great place to work. I can honestly say that in the time I have had here, it has been an excellent experience and I have never had tension with any of my co-workers. Many of whom, have become friends.

Environment: As a Software Engineer you are not client facing so are able to feel comfortable in your working environment to get coding done. People are able to talk to one another and share ideas and have general discussions.

Technologies: FactSet, fundamentally built a lot of the tools creating in-house propriety technologies, however that is slowly changing and transitional tools and skills are being brought into the company.

Career: If you wish to have job security and a guarantee that you will be rewarded for loyalty - FactSet is ideal. Those who have been at the company a long time and moved into management are rather happy with their roles. I am unable to predict the future, but modern technologies are now being introduced to FactSet which may mean newer engineers have better opportunities.

Cons

Pay: After realisation of the competitiveness in other companies, I realised pay here is definitely not matching software companies in London. As years went by, I realised that people in other companies were receiving bonuses and also larger pay rises which made me sceptical of the salaries here for Software Engineers. Alongside that fact, in company wide meetings we were all told that Sales would receive a "Chairman's Club", which meant they would have luxurious settings in Europe, US etc for meetings when they met their targets - meaning Software Engineers were angered and frustrated by this.

People: Regarding the management, it seems managers are not assessed, they are given the role of manager when they have been here for some time rather than actually accessing their skills. I think a real interview process is necessary when deciding who should become a manager - not word of mouth or "You have been here some time and proven you're a good Software Engineer", leading code and people are two different things.

Environment: The company promotes a start-up culture but that is beginning to fade as policies are being put in place that is beginning to remove this kind of culture.

Technologies: As a Software Engineer that had been in the company for many years, newer, transitional, technologies are now being brought into the company which I do not have much experience with - meaning when looking for new career choices in Software Engineering they are limited due to the older legacy technologies where most of the time was spent when coding.

Career: Motivation is key, unless you are self-motivated, work can become mundane. At times exciting projects arise but if you demonstrate that you are a trustworthy employee, the company will rely on you to do tasks that are irrelevant to your personal goals and achievements you wish to reach.

Assess Management - Interview processes are necessary when choosing potential managers.

CFA certification is relevant to consultants - Look at giving Software Engineers specific certifications for the technologies they work with; recognition.

See problems, solve them. Some deep-laying issues go unrecognised until the problem becomes too large to deal with. Try to see this and keep in touch with employees.

Keep your word. When informing employees of opportunities they will receive and be able to excel in, ensure that it surfaces and doesn't fade due to external factors.