Fairview Health

Updated 20 November 2014
2.7

Fairview Health Chairman and Interim CEO Charles Mooty
Charles Mooty

Pros
  • Decent benefits, staff mostly has good work ethic, tries to honor work-life balance, felt a "part of" something special (in 4 reviews)

• Good Salary, the knowledge that you are working for one of the largest healthcare orgs in the area, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Change comes slowly to a large organization like this (in 3 reviews)

• doesn't encourage longevity of staff, always focused on budget even if conflicts with patient care of staffing concerns (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Might have been a good place to work if they'd given me a chance.

Former Employee - Coding Specialist in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Coding Specialist in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Fairview Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, work-life balance, benefits. There may be other pros, but I wasn't there long enough to know for sure.

Cons

I was hired on with great fanfare as a new coder just out of school, told that, "Oh, yes, we welcome new grads!" The training was not well-organized. A week and a half after I started, I was terminated because, I was told, I wasn't learning the computer system fast enough, even though my coding skills were excellent. I heard later that the company was very hard on new grad nurses as well.

Let your managers have time to train new people, and especially new grads. You can't talk on the one hand about how you welcome new grads, and on the other, kick them out before they've hardly had time to learn. Implement more organized training, especially when it comes to the computer systems.

Love it

I worked at Fairview Health

Pros

Great people and benefits great pay

Cons

There was no cons all companies have changes

Better than some...

Former Employee - IT Team Lead in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - IT Team Lead in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Fairview Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairview is a decent place to work with a reasonable work culture.

Cons

There was excessive senior leadership turnover in my area.

Great long term company

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Fairview Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairview awards fair market pay, and they study the market to ensure this is followed. There are opportunities for flexible hours and schedules. They like to offer education within the organization on the methodologies they want to use. I worked people!

Cons

Fairview is a large organization, so things can move slower than desired based on how far up new ideas or requests have to go for approval.

Great Providers working under a great deal of pressure

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time

Pros

Excellent Health System and great pay/benefits, surrounded by many wonderful people, education is valued

Cons

Often feel like part of a herd or a cog in the wheel, difficult for work/family balance, difficult to give excellent care when so much time pressure, confusing compensation models

Try to treat employees as people and not commodities

Its like working for a government agency that doesn't know what it wants to do

Former Employee - Workspace Services in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Workspace Services in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Fairview Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    There are some talented people who work there.
    Job security

Cons

No training.

Nothing changes unless the board of directors ask for it or an existing product breaks.

Departments have no interest in working with each other. So they're not able to fix simple workflow issues that have existed for years.

All tier 2 teams are made up of non technical people (former nurses).

Products are usually poorly implemented in a very short time frame.

Everyone seems complacent with doing the bare minimum.

Stay at fairview because you wont last at other companies.

Focused on budget even though positive revenue

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff that work at Fairview. Many clinics and hospitals in the Twin Cities for variety of places to work.

Cons

Poor leadership destroying a good company

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bright and capable new hires, lots of room for positive change, coworkers genuinely care about improving our community health

Cons

Leadership or lack there of. Every department is doing something different, every hospital and clinic is operating on their own and not working together to provide synchronized service to our patients.

We need someone to step up and start hiring real directors and management. No more interim after interim making temporary decisions. With weak leaders, no one trusts in what few decisions are being made. Start operating fairview as one system rather than branding everything separately to make different groups of doctors or administration happy. Make your patients happy, simplify!

Webpage values don't extend to treatment of staff

I worked at Fairview Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Educated, competent workforce; many talented professionals; decent salaries and benefits.

Cons

Top-down, punitive leadership; talented people feel limited or stay because of golden handcuffs; cynicism among employees.

Making decisions that will hurt employees and then pretending to ask for input or feedback damages credibility and teamwork. Support the gifts of the front line worker.

Intransient, Entrenched, Recalcitrant employees and management not open to new ideas.

Former Employee - Administrative Department Secretary in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Department Secretary in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Fairview Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary, the knowledge that you are working for one of the largest healthcare orgs in the area, good benefits.

Cons

Many long-term employees who are obsolete and ineffective but are retained simply due to years of service. Refusal by management to be honest and objective in their staff appraisals.

Get rid of the "no terminations after 5 years". Solicit honest opinions from your staff and not just those that conform to outdated company policies.