Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance depending on hours and department"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The customers are great, some come in 2-4 times a day and love to talk with you"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance could also be improved upon"
    in 16 reviews
  • "You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Compelling Place to Work, Shop, and Invest ... Would Be a Great Change for Family Dollar

Matthews, NC (US)

ProsSome internal growth opportunities, though these have dried up in some departments as corporate growth has slowed. Decent benefits.

ConsHorrible corporate office environment reflects the company's overall philosophy - if it's only partly broken, move pieces around and pretend it's shiny and new. I've worked in a lot of environments and almost none of them were fancy, but the physical condition of the larger of the corporate offices is just pathetic: badly lit, bare carpet, dirty walls, few conference rooms (which are hoarded like gold), small, scarce, and dirty bathrooms, etc. Folks who work in this building get the message right away - you are not valued.

Further, constant reorganization and position shuffling (at least every 6 months) greatly reduces employee incentive to invest personal capital into even high-value projects. Constant attrition in senior positions exacerbates this issue. The result is a culture of avoidance, where new initiatives get bodded down in the muck of old orphaned projects, which of course are now vital to operations and have no budget for remediation (assuming anyone would actually stick his or her neck out to own the effort).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying lip service to the idea that corporate employees are important and actually invest in them. It may mean selling and going private first so that Wall Street doesn't stand in the way. That approach seems to have worked pretty well for Dollar General, since they now are the unquestioned leader in this segment.

Challenging

Merchandising (Current Employee)
    Matthews, NC (US)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsUpper management resistant to change

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your people have to say without retaliation

Helpful to my livelihood but not necessarily my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Fair pay. Relatively stable until about 2008.

ConsPoor communication between management and team members for many years. Transition to "blue" culture was way too slow. Mismanagement including overstaffing; there were several rounds of job cuts in my 15+ years there, including the one which eliminated my position.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new board of directors. Quit pretending you're serving families and just admit you're in it to make a buck.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are good as any other company

ConsSalary could be much better

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more payroll in stores

Very competitive pay with other companies of its small box retail stores and your past experience!!

Zwolle, LA (US)

ProsFamily Dollar is a very friendly environment.

ConsOf course, payroll is always challenging. You just have to find the right crew!!

It is good, pay is not that great but to be expected and the store I work for has good management.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Danville, WV (US)

ProsGood people to work with and good co-workers and benefits are surprising.

Conshmm not many, multitasking and constant business sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to have training opportunities for good workers with management potiential.

This is A Very Challenging Environment

Springdale, AR (US)

ProsEveryone in this company has opportunity . It's a great place to start your career in retail because you are solely responsible for the whole operation of the store as a manager. As a cashier it's rough to get started. You have to prove yourself over and over again but well worth the battle. Great training yet it is a self driven train.

ConsLong long work week. I work around 70 hours a week every week on a salary. Need more payroll to run the store better and to meet heavy project load.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement stricter and more frequent checks to ensure proper running of each store. When one store is ran poorly it gives bad attention to the company thus sister stores lose business also. Get control of the drama within the company.

Customer services Associate (part time)

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsWorking with customers and the great staff

ConsEmployee's don't get discount's and we only make minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe first manager hired me walk out leaving me at the store alone with customers, The new manager I work with now is great.

Very diverse community. Many responsibilities as Assistant as well as stepping in for Manager.

ProsThis pisition is well rounded; finance, merchandising, customer service, loss prevention, cash handling, training, recovery, petsonnel, store maintenance, policy and procedure.

ConsHigh stess level, loss prevention is tough, long hours, low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent team and communication. Delegation needs to happen. Reduce turn over through team meetings and communication.

Gross Inconsistencies

Secretary Junior (Current Employee)

ProsRequests for time off in the regional office are never denied, even during the holidays. I've always taken black Friday off without so much as a blink from my boss. Lots of alone time, typically, as they travel 3+ days a week. Very casual dress code out in the field unless you have visitors.

ConsThe pay from secretary to secretary varies ridiculously - some make $14 an hour, some make $18. I've trained admins who make substantially more than me and received raises within a couple of months from their start dates; and it's not because of their experience or skills. I am continuously mentoring admins on a daily basis.

Hostile work environment. Upper management holds grudges. If you make one mistake or if one thing goes wrong at an event you planned, you will never ever live it down. They will lord it over you and use it as their standard of your ability until you quit or they die.

Favoritism runs rampant. If left to their own devices, managers may grade you on how well they like you or how well their peers/friends like you. No one has your back. If someone perceives something you did as a mistake, they won't ask you about it, they'll go right over your head and convince your manager that you have no clue what you're doing, and nothing you say, no proof of anything will help you. You will always be undermined.

No advancement potential if you're out in the field. If you're a secretary, you're only way to move up is to relocate to the home office in North Carolina.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your assistants more. Not every person on the planet is evil or has ulterior motives. Give decent raises and merit raises, too, not just what the absolute bare minimum is. If you have no loyalty to me, I have none to you.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All 542 reviews are posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.