Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 19 reviews)

• You get the impression that some stores have been abandoned by upper management (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Treated fairly and rewarded for performance until politics of new supervisor showed discrimination.

District Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsHard work and performance paid off with comparable bonuses at the store manager level.

ConsSteady performance means nothing if you have the wrong supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacts are facts when it comes to the numbers, don't let personalities get in the way of awarding bonuses.

Great culture with transparent leadership

Department Manager (Current Employee)

Proswork-life balance, culture, opportunity for advancement, 401k match

Consbenefits are costly, stock options

Great company to start a career! Lots of upward mobility if you are willing to put in the work.

Allocator (Current Employee) Matthews, NC (US)

Pros401(k) matching, employee stock discount program, initiative based projects, management listens to concerns and attempts to help when possible. Open door policy actually means open door. I speak with my SPV on a regular basis in order to bounce ideas off him.

ConsMiddle of the road pay, Lots of meetings, Semi-repetitive work. Not encouraged to try free lance projects very often. The systems FD uses are a bit outdated. Because of this, the company uses a lot of work arounds and excel based tools in order to keep existing outdated systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to plan their own futures and guide them on the right moves to get them going there. Allow for a lifelong career plan and actually make it happen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long, hard days

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Stone Mountain, GA (US)

ProsDecent manager pay, flexible scheduling.

ConsOver working, long hours, under-manned.

my experiance was good learned alot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosi got promoted to assistant manager at family dollar i worked hard an got my job done

Consthere was no training it was fast paced an quick enviorment

Advice to Senior Managementthe company is a good company to work for

Fun but lots of work.

ProsI work with a great group of people and it's nice to be close to home.

ConsLong hours and low grade equipment. It's is great learning experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more training and better equipment to run the stores.

Has been a great learning experience!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThey allow you to self manage yourself and not micro manage.

ConsThey have already hand selected who they want to advance and mive uo within the company. Not a lot of development and help to advance and grow within the company.

Leadership has good intentions

Manager (Current Employee) Matthews, NC (US)

ProsStrong work/life balance, recognition by leadership.

ConsTry to operate too lean. Unfortunately this probably just comes with the territory. However, it is to the point where it can stunt your growth if your trying to break through from individual contributor to manager.

Everyday retail opportunity

District Operations Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsLongevity of employment. Opportunity for growth

ConsRetail is retail, long hours and more work than the average person thinks.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the education and growth opportunity for employees. Hire more full time and pay part time a higher wage and benefits. This would help employees be able to stay with the company longer and offer future growth for the employee and pay off in longer term employees, internal growth and bench strength for the company.

Great place to start your retail Career. ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Training)

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWork hard, prove yourself , Focus your work dont let drama or your personal issues follow you threw work. Ive been working for my store for only a month and im now training for assistant store manager.. There is never no opportunities you just gotta wrk and prove yourself.!

ConsHaving 1 bad crew member can mess up the flow of truck day and freight pushing And slow cashiers can be a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is I feel that running the store with the absolute best crew members can change the stores ratings. You gotta think of it as a nba team and were at draft night. You want the best team possible. So by that I feel you guys need to start reading resumes and actually hire people that has high retail exp.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!