Fastenal
www.fastenal.com Winona, MN 5000+ Employees

Fastenal Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014
Fastenal – Macomb – “Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East…”

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton

Will Oberton

Pros:
  • "Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student"
    in 37 reviews
  • "good place to learn a little bit about inventory management/tools/fasteners"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Was managing the store while only working part time for an entire month - NO MANAGER IN PLACE WITH ONLY 2"
    in 34 reviews
  • "The most common answer given from upper management is "Other branches make it work"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

sales support

Sales Support (Current Employee)
Greenville, NC (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreeat job, lots of opprotunies for growth,

ConsIt can be hard to rise up in the company but if you stick at it youll get a chance

You have to like the people.

Part Time Sales Intern (Current Employee)
Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

ProsFastenal does an excellent job of setting up training for new hires so you know about what you're trying to sell. I've learned more about the industry in the past four months than I ever thought possible.

ConsYou work with a great variety of people, some nice, others not so nice, you just have to have a lot of patience if you want to make it through some days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, a knowledgable and happy staff will keep your customer service model afloat. Incentivizing part timers a little more would be nice so they know when their work is quality and when they need to improve.

What an opportunity

I have been working at Fastenal

ProsYou are constantly learning everyday. The sky is the limit regarding your opportunity to create a quality business in your market that you can be proud to call your own.

ConsThe buck stops with you so if you are not ready to take ownership than this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep helping us be competitive

Good way to start out in sales, but not really worth a career.

Sales Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone at Fastenal does basically every job. My General Manager helped me clean the bathrooms on multiple occasions, so no one employee is above any task. This job is also a great way to get some inside/outside sales and logistics training experience without much pressure to perform day in and day out.

ConsLong hours (7-5 most days), so there isn't much of a work-life balance because you have to be up at 5 or 6 o'clock in the morning. Regional Vice Presidents are usually great, but District Managers can often be a pain. Fastenal likes to tout that you can run your store the way you want to run it, but I have seen a lot of micromanagement in my experience. Also, if your store has one really good month, your District Manager will set your next month's sales goals outrageously high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about stock prices, and let GMs run their stores the way they want because there are some very talented ones in the company. Micromanagement kills creativity, and creativity is necessary in sales. Oh, and please let your stores open at 8.

Could be great, some times great, mostly OK to not good

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

ProsDecent money for out of colledge guy, really good flexability and iv been granted alot of graces. Eatch branch is Mostly autonomous so we get alot of freedom.

ConsEmotional / Desperational based decition makeing by the managers/upper manager in promotion and customer relations. Took a long time in "fighting" to get productive changes done in the branch. Didn't seem to be supported in outside sales or inside sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems as though you hire based on whos available rather then whos the best. Or you hire based on preconceived notions of people, preconceived Ideas of what you think you want rather then strong integretiy. Seem to be easily decieved by outside preseptions of people rather than real merit.

Part Time Sales Support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fastenal part-time

ProsGreat scheduling around school, great job while completing a degree and plenty of opportunities to go full time once finished.

ConsPay Structure is a little uninviting

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at ways to compensate employees more

Great Experience; Good Money

Outside Sales (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

ProsDepending on your territory, you can make good money. There are also several opportunities to advance.

ConsDistrict Managers do not hold General Managers accountable for performance so long as goals are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair and actually manage team members.

"Too many eggs in one basket"

I have been working at Fastenal

ProsContinuous learning, the customers I meet, great connections, and my co-workers

ConsWork is not appreciated. Goals are too high. No company incentives for store employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonally run a busy Fastenal short-handed or by yourself. The company is coming out with too many programs and initiatives that are not perfected, which means half your day is ruined by fixing internal problems. Can no longer be effective or efficient. (Management 101)

Good People, Pay is alright not for a living, makes a great part time job

Vending Machine Technician (Current Employee)
Franklin, PA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people, the business, hours

ConsPay, bad commsion, everyone thinks their the boss

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Sales Support

Sales Support (Current Employee)
Strongsville, OH (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat job when just starting out, does not require manual labor which is nice, just requires a hard work ethic, good people skills, and a desire to do better.

ConsCan only work 28 hours a week...

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fastenal reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Fastenal CEO Will Oberton. All 502 reviews are posted anonymously by Fastenal employees.