FedEx

Updated Jul 20, 2014

3.6 1,055 reviews

FedEx Chairman, President, and CEO Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Pros
  • Depending on which area you work in, there's decent work life balance(in 107 reviews)

• Good benefits which are offered to all employees (full & part time)(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is fairly good except during "peak" times(in 21 reviews)

• Heavy responsibilities may require long hours, stressful environment(in 27 reviews)

1,055 Employee Reviews

It has been a good learning experience

Package Handler (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsStarted in college, that was the biggest plus. Set hours and good benefits, specifically for students.

ConsAfter a while, you begin to feel not really wanted. And although they say they hire internally it really takes quite a bit for any sort of relocation.

Had no problems!

Driver P&D (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsFlexibility was great. It afforded me a good work/home balance with no surprise calls. For me, working with management was a great experience. The atmosphere was professional yet light and informal enough to achieve great communication.

ConsHaving to bring packages back after-hours - that was a nuisance, even though it didn't happen very often. Would be nice if the eligible Contract employees were offered permanent positions throughout the company and their divisions based on his (her) performance as opposed to hiring outside help after the contract period is over. Makes much more sense to hire whom the management is familiar instead of starting all over again with strangers and having the Contract employees re-apply for permanent spots. For instance, I was offered an on-call spot. Had it been permanent full-time AND a step-up into a CDL-driving position, I would've stayed to this day.

Advice to Senior ManagementApplication process is horrendous! Shouldn't take anyone 4 hours to complete an application, especially when questions are repetitive. May want to consider reworking the online Application program. I do like, however, the way the information was saved in the System, which shaved off some input time to the application. As for the CEO, I can't offer an opinion because I wouldn't know who he is if he walked past me in a grocery store.

Good company to work for.

Fed Ex Courier (Current Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsGreat benefits and perks for part time employees.

ConsPart time only. Hard to get full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to set their own routes as they feel is the most timely.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to do it right and feel good doing it

Technical Quality Architect (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsFedEx makes you feel like you make the world go around (later, you realize you actually do!) - you are taught to live something we call the Purple Promise that simply states "I will make every FedEx experience outstanding". Very soon, you realize that dock loaders, desk workers, strategists, individual contributors, managers and executives actually believe this stuff and care about not just getting the job done but they actually care how you felt before, during and after you did it!! Very strange to most people under pressure to perform but the level of buy-in at the highest levels of the company shows newcomers right away that this company truly puts people first. If you're not feeling good about doing something, they want to know why - genuinely and fix it before you proceed.
    Quality Driven Management - This program has roots into every nook and cranny of operations and IT. FedEx truly believes in continuously improving to get better, finding better ways of doing things, being more efficient, gaining new skills and always pushing the boundaries of achievement while at the same time encouraging employees to live heavy family lives, taking vacations, flexible work from home options (mandatory 2 weeks of work from home) etc.
    When you're feeling this good about your work and your contributions, I challenge you to put out poor work - you can't - it's not possible.

ConsThere aren't enough observed national holidays - I think FedEx (being a worldwide deliver business) only observes 6 National holidays.

People, Service , Profile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFedEx is very strong on their culture as they always put people first, before service and profit.

ConsPerks were not great. Pretty normal although the company is giving 2 months of AWS

Great starting out point

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe training is very intense, you come into your job knowing FedEx in and out. Flexible work schedule. Good starting salary. They put a lot of time and effort into understanding that you are an employee and not a number. Acting as a consultant instead of a sales professional.

ConsVery limited opportunities for advancement without moving. Collaboration with different internal contacts can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can become stagnant, haven't performed duties of the job in many years. Need to re-do the job again so they can understand challenges.

very organized and great job opportunity

Business Sales (Current Employee)

Prosthere are several areas to move up to

Consthere are so many employees

Not a bad job.

Senior Operations Administrator (Current Employee) Central Valley, CA (US)

ProsNot a bad place once you get past the package handling nightmare.

ConsEverything feels like it's Micro-managed to hell

Overall Employment

Package Handler Part-time (Current Employee) Kennesaw, GA (US)

ProsPay and benefits. Good supervisors, employees, security and staff. Very good sturdy employment, and supervisors are always willing to assist you at any given time.

ConsVery strenuous work with certain aspects. Can be a dangerous work environment if not taken with caution at times. A bit stressful. I would not recommend this job with anyone who has a health problem in regards to stress either.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps a bit more time off for vacation purposes.

Great Company, good benefits, lots of changes

Project/Process Advisor (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsThe benefits are good, the company has a great reputation, the values are there. Currently undergoing alot of work force changes.

ConsThe perks that were once available are not anymore. Sometimes it feels that the company is beginning to forget the individuals and it is all about the bottom line. The benenfits are declining and are not as good as they once were.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back some of the perks for the employees that have been discontinued over the last 10 years

Worked for FedEx? Contribute to the Community!