Fifth Third

www.53.com

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat

Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda(in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate(in 26 reviews)

It was all right, very male dominated though.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsNot really hard or challenging

ConsHard to move up and be promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let racists be the managers...

Fifth third genuinely cares about their employees

Retail Personal Banker (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsThey promote from within as long as you work hard and reach your sales goals. Great benefits, family oriented, great place to work.

ConsThe goals are tough to reach. There are times where your goals can be higher then the branch goals. Not enough staff, plan on working a lot of weekends.

I Love 5/3

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsThe customers and the co worker like family environment. Forming bonds with co workers that grow ovwer the years.

ConsNot enough time in the day to enjoy my job

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to love respect cherish and honor your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible

ProsWorks well for a part timer

ConsSales goals as a teller were the worst part

Good Place to Start

Credit Analyst (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsManagement is very supportive of responding to staff needs and making changes when needed. Benefits are comparable with similar employers. The environment is very laid back and employees seem to maintain positive attitudes.

ConsIt can be challenging to move into another area of the bank, little opportunity to network within the bank. It's difficult to grow a career here if your department does not have a built-in track. There does not seem to be much of a focus of growing employees within the company, and it feels your best opportunity for growing your career is to explore options at other companies.

Car Sales Tactics

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat company for hard cold call type sells. The company is great for developing career driven sales employees.

ConsThe company engages in car sales tactics. The retail banking department has a meeting weekly called the "firing line", where if you have not meet your goal for the month you are now the target. Fifth Third retail banking is disorganized and extremely cheap in regard to the level of pay deserved by its employees. Be expected to regularly conduct wire, acquire business accounts and card processing account, obtain investment account, in addition to opening consumer account and credit cards

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more organized, increase pay and provide better training for employees

Prefer to hire externally

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsNice people, good hours and holidays. Good first job. Good work life balance.

ConsNot much room for growth depending on position, high turnover rate, and they prefer to hire externally when jobs become available. Constantly short staffed and having to scramble to cover for missing people which creates stressful situations.

From good to bad to really bad

Processing Clerk (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

Pros401k matching- vacation days- low cost dental insurance, occasional free pizza or pitch-in dinner, profit sharing benefit at end of the year

ConsAfter 2008 with the financial fallout, it became a constant case of squeezing employees with more work for the same pay or a very tiny raise. Then came outsourcing of jobs and fewer hours per week. But this is probably true for most mid to big size banks. The typical brown-noser(s) who would rag on fellow employees to get in good with the clueless manager didn't help the environment either.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one of importance in executive position ever visited my location which showed how low they thought of the workers which didn't help the morale in any way. Practice what you preach- bank customers are now looked upon as sales meat to be exploited in any way possible with any dubious product if not unethical product. But this too probably goes for most banks nowadays.

Good people, poor Sr. Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChicago downtown location has a great environment, good people to work with. You'll get your share of experience here because there is a definite "sink or swim" culture here

ConsI've been working there nearly 8 years and it seems as if every year or 2 there are DRASTIC changes within the company. When these changes occur, they don't seem to be very well though out. As usually it results in pure chaos, and employees under stress because due to the new procedures, certain areas of support are no longer available. It's almost like upper management gets some "great idea" and throws it off on middle management. Then regular employees are left to pick up the pieces. This makes things extremely difficult for clients & employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry counseling with the departments before serious changes are made, so that when things are put into place we are prepared to tackle on any issues that may arise. Or at least create a level of support so that customer's aren't impacted.

It was certainly an enjoyable experience, in growing with this company.

ProsBeing with Fifth Third, I have realized how they are passionate about investing into their employees and operationaly excellence.

ConsThe only thing I would say, is to look at the Big Picture. When you look at the Big picture you will be able to see more.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the Big Picture

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!