First Acceptance Corporation

Updated 27 October 2014
Updated 27 October 2014
2.0

Mark Kelly

I really did love working for this company . I was by far the best job I have ever had.

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation

Pros

I loved the environment and the customers

Cons

The only issue I had was trouble passing the exam due to personal issues at home.

Just hire me back please ;)

Is there a rating worse than one star?

Current Employee - Enough to See Behind the Scenes in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Enough to See Behind the Scenes in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It might keep you from living in your car or a shelter...but it pretty much sucks other than that

Cons

dishonest leadership, people getting fired from month to month (never the same person for very long), multiple people suing company for illegal actions, management thinks employees are too stupid to know when their bonus has been stolen from them (yes, we can add).
    So corrupt and slimy, you feel like you wanna take a shower after interacting with anyone above an hourly position.

Don't know that there is much to say...either you are honest and ethical or you are not. Clearly, from the president and new ceo all the way to the lowest supervisor...management has chosen to not be honest or ethical. It boggles the mind how some of these things haven't landed this company in federal court yet. They just recently got tagged in a Department of Labor investigation...and the EEOC has found cause for some of the people pressing lawsuits...so many foul smelling issues it reeks.

UNPROFESSIONAL

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation

Pros

The only pro I can think of was getting paid.

Cons

Working for FAC was the worst experience of my career. Upper management's treatment of its employees was demoralizing. Marketing strategies from the 80's, such as tear sheets, and placing fliers on car windshields, while selling an above average market price product, and still blaming the in-store employee for low sales, is not good business, but it is easier than trying to figure out what is really wrong and fixing it.

Upper management does not give any credence to any ideas they have not come up with themselves. No need for me to advise them from here.

Some fine people have worked for this company over the years. Too bad they left.

Current Employee - Employee in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

Pros

You get a paycheck (don't count on raises or cost of living). You get PTO (will help when you start looking for a new job). Minimal amount of micromanaging, but then again the company is just leaving the 20th Century when it comes to technology.

Cons

Upper management is controlled by majority stock holder. Upper management lacks any ethics or morals. Upper management has had no qualms taking substantial yearly bonuses while wages have been frozen for years. Poor morale in all offices. Benefits are sub-par for industry.

Realize who's backs you are riding on. It wasn't your hard work that made this company profitable.

The company has been around a long time, but has had it's ups and downs over the years.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are not always sitting at your desk, due to the ability to leave the office and market. You are your own manager with the help of a district manager when needed. You get to meet diverse people and handle diverse situations as well.

Cons

Marketing is okay, but being out off the office too much leaves less chances for the agent to meet and see who their new customers are and less chances of getting to talk to them and getting to know them. Some long-time customers may hardly see the agent in the office and think the agent is no longer employed there. Also, mostly all company organizations assign sales territories for each sales person that is out in the sales field; and Acceptance Insurance does not do this so agents end up competing with each other for sales referrals.

Get paid more to deal with more BS!

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay. Florida Agent pay is great. Region 2 manager is great, he's helpful and seems genuinely concerned most of the time.

Cons

CSR pay is terrible, CSRs never get raises and they do most of the physical work as they are the ones left in the office on a daily basis to do EVERYTHING while the agent is out marketing and bringing in the business.
    Hours- when hired they tell you you'll only work 1-2 Saturdays a month, now it's required that everyone is there EVERY Saturday. There are months of blackout periods in which you are not allowed to request or take PTO. I see my family about an hour each day M-Sa.
    Clients- A lot of clients are rude, unappreciative, and MEAN.
    Product- the company boasts a great product but their rates are the highest in the state, the coverage that they push their agents/CSRs to sell is below state minimum requirements. Even if we try to push better or higher limits, our rates are not competitive.
    Management- for the most part the company is very disorganized and one manager will tell you one thing and the next will tell you something else. You never really know what's going on.
    Co-workers- many of the agents/CSRs and even some of the DMs are uneducated and unprofessional. The emails that they send out corporate wide are at a 6th grade writing/grammar/content level.
    Tax preparation- while it was a solid shot in the dark to incorporate tax preparation into our job duties, it's a halfway attempt. The agents/CSRs are unprepared, nervous and already bogged down with a bigger work load during the tax season.
    Software- I'm not sure what the excuse is for the software used at this company but it's absurd! We're still using an old DOS program called AS400! I'm assuming it's cheaper to keep this program and not upgrade but it makes our daily duties harder, more time consuming, billing and endorsements are CONSTANTLY incorrect and we're limited to what we can do to a policy compared to more standard insurance policy management systems.
    Advertisement- I'm all for agents marketing using B2B and face to face concepts but it's almost 2014 and they are just now getting TV commercials in Florida. Stop wasting time on 'stickies' that do NOT stick and instead litter parking lots and anger people whose cars we're touching without their consent and in parking lots we're constantly ran out of!!
    Benefits- we recently completed benefit reelections and OMG... they told us how excited we should be about the changes to come etc etc... Guess what?! Our health insurance benefits have decreased and our premiums have DOUBLED!!!! I had to go from an 80/20 plan to a 70/30 plan just to be able to take home a paycheck and I'm still paying $30ish more per pay period!

Stop micromanaging and start listening to your agents and CSRs! Training needs to be more consistent and thorough. Florida is your biggest money maker, please make it easier for agents/CSRs to sell a decent product and not bullied into selling PIP/PD policies with add-ons just so we can make goal. Please consider a software upgrade for the policy management system! Company moral is low, low, LOW, we feel overworked and tricked into working so much while corporate taunts the 'be at work and reap the benefits' phrase. I'm sorry, family is more important and we should be allowed at LEAST rotating Saturdays, please!

Management has no concern for the employees

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time

Pros

There are some good dedicated long term employees there.

Cons

Poor Management, they don't communicate or have any concern for their employees.

Management is terrible, clueless and arrogant...

Former Employee - Agent in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Agent in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to know the customers really well and form relationships with a lot of really good people.

Cons

Everything else...low pay, long hours, high pressure, poor management. Financially unstable with a bleak outlook. Lot's of turnover. Front line employees (Agents & CSR's) have no voice.District and Regional Managers who do not have a clue (or Insurance license).

Sell the company to someone who knows what they're doing!!

Company that does not care about front line, bad communication. Never really sure what is going on. LOTS of turnover

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Agent

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My pay is ok, but the hours worked cancel that out.

Cons

You never have a full understanding or complete answer for customers, which hurts your credibility with clients/businesses in area. Mangers require a lot of ridiculous reports and goals that interrupt day to day activities. Big changes in schedules are made two days before they go in to effect so no one can prepare for them. Most issues you have with company are ignored by managers, but if there is an issue with you, you are contacted immediately for questioning. Training is not adequate nor informal about actual LAW versus SELLING.

Moral is low - employees don't trust employer (if they are smart employees) to do what they say they will do.
    Follow through with what you say you are going to do.
    Put more faith in your employees, or maybe if you would be trustworthy yourself then you would actually be able to trust others.