First Niagara Financial

Be The First To
Add Photos

First Niagara Financial President, CEO, and Director John R. Koelmel

John R. Koelmel

Fast growing bank who are attempting to build a infrastructure to support the growing business.

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsHeavy investment in IT coming in the near future. Lots of opportunity to find a project that interest you.

ConsInfastructure is lacking. Company grew to fast and focused more on acquisitions then it did profitablility and internally.

Excellent Management, nice work enviroment

Solutions Delivery (Former Employee)
Lockport, NY (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial as an intern for less than a year

ProsIntelligent and understanding management, positive work environment, great internship program, and solid work-life balance. Even as an intern, I was treated with respect and given a relevant and highly visible workload. Getting time off was usually easy (as an intern), and the work / life balance was good.

ConsGiven the company size, it's sometimes difficult to get much variety in the workload compared to say, a smaller consulting company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management. Understanding, and pushes employees to excel and grow. Keep it up!

LOTS of responsibilites

Teller (Former Employee)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get lots of free stuff. Blankets, key chains, pens, etc.

ConsYou have more than one job to do and getting referrals means everything in the company. They have also been laying off people randomly and demoting some as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the teller referrals

Why can't I give this company zero stars? horrible pay and treatment of employees

Teller and Notary (Former Employee)
Huntingdon Valley, PA (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial part-time for less than a year

ProsNo pros but i guess there are worse jobs. Good part time job if you don't need to work

ConsAt FNFG they expect their employees to bend over backwards for the company as far as scheduling is concerned; however trying to call out due to an illness or providing less than two weeks notice for any time off is met with retaliation. I missed three days of work over the summer due to a medical procedure and two sick days. Due to this "pattern" of missing work (disregarding 11 months of working whatever hours asked and never calling out) I was informed that I was no longer in consideration for promotion from part time to full time. The pay at first niagara for a teller is not enough to support a single individual, especially if you need benefits. The pay for a teller is around 400 per week (assuming you are given 40 hours) the benefits cost 135 a week. Leaving about 900 a month before taxes for housing, food, and transportation. I was hired as a 35 hour per week part time employee and was reduced to 25 hours per week later with no notice. Luckily I was able to find another job and leave. First Niagara constantly changes their account requirements and fees while hiding notices to customers in small print on statements, leaving their tellers to explain the policy changes and new charges. the amount of responsibility and salesmanship that is expected at fnfg they grossly undervalue their employees. I would not recommend this company for a relationship for anyone as an employee or as a customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees a livable wage and stop lying to prospective employees about how many hours they will be scheduled each week.

Needs Improvement

Lockport, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSmall enough not become utterly capricious and random, like Bank of America. Also small enough to still be somewhat responsive to reality on the ground.

ConsMiddle management ranks are becoming like all others in the banking industry; that is, simple power players and not problem solvers and protectors of assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you import management talent from other banks, understand that you are also importing some of the worst aspects of American banking culture. STUDY the science of what makes for good managers, and you have to WORK HARDER to keep your sense of "great culture" that you are in jeopardy of losing as we speak.

WPA wants out!

No Thanks (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe culture that is created in most branches are special and unique...for the most part and it's a job in a bad economy.

ConsThis place is falling apart at the seams. Terrible leadership and no direction. Employees are over worked as jobs have been over the past two years. Branch staff can not take a lunch b/c of staff shortages. Advancements are often given to good old boys club rather than individuals that actually work hard and deserve it. No supplies no water no marketing whatsoever no technology no customers no presence. Oh yeah...we are going double and triple your goals. Wonder why they would do that Nothing makes sense at First Niagara.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees for what they do everyday in the extremely poor environment in which you have created. Most are disengaged, fed up, and over it.

First Niagara has a local feel for a large company

Intern (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial as an intern for more than a year

ProsFNFG was very flexible and the culture was great. I learned a lot from upper management.

ConsWorking in a cube, you aren't able to interact as much with fellow coworkers.

It's ok

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Phila, PA (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsGood team environment and culture

ConsUnorganize and the training is sub par

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention

Could Be Worse, Could Be a Lot Better

No Thanks (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt seems that most individuals have good intentions, provide good customer service and care about the company. There appears to be a strong business plan and an emphasis from Senior Management on carrying that plan through. The company is ambitious and all the acquisitions seem to have worked out.

ConsThe "happy" culture they promote is fake. They overwork and undervalue employees. The environment is cutthroat. All the acquisitions brought in too many different groups of people and nobody has direction except for where they used to work.
Many mid-level managers are power hungry and have no problem throwing an employee under the bus in order to save themselves. Employees who give even the slightest push back receive retaliation and are outcast and made to feel bad.
What we use in the branches works for the most part but it takes too long to get customers what they need. Even small transactions take too long and there are a lot of headaches. Equipment breaks a lot compared to where else I been.
No appreedciation and unrealistic expectations and they keep quietly cutting jobs and we are expected to pick up the work of people who leave or are let go without bringing in more people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't care. They live in a different environment than we do and don't see, or care to see, what's really going on.

Stressfull

Teller (Current Employee)
Rockland, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJeans Day, lovely teller system, fun work environment, make your own branch signage

Consgoals are very high and there is a lot of pressure when it comes to making them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving unreasonable goals and get a better incentive program for the tellers

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Niagara Financial reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for First Niagara Financial CEO John R. Koelmel. All 42 reviews are posted anonymously by First Niagara Financial employees.