First Republic (CA)

First Republic (CA) Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II

James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Great location (if you're in SF), excellent customer service levels (in 5 reviews)

• Great company, great people, great food at discounted price (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • flat hierarchy but massive preference from upper management to workers that they "like" (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Big Company with a Small Company Mindset

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- great learning experience on how to do things on your own
    - great company culture
    - invests in employees (schooling)
    - great benefits/salary

Cons- leadership is lacking and no clear direction of where the company wants to go.
    - the HR department is ineffective, lots of learning to do.
    - teams do not feel supported, as long as the manager is an "earner" can get away with anything.
    - learn by trial and error, senior staff does not teach or show you the FRB way.
    -can be difficult to manage a work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eyes open to potential problems in teams and keep company values for employees as well, not just the customers. If you find good, intelligent people, make sure to keep them around - look at the larger picture of what a person is capable of instead of a shortsightedness of what is currently beneficial.

Outstanding company but no oversight for department leadership

ProsThis is outstanding company overall. They really deliver for their clients and Jim Herbert's vision has been phenomenal. If the leadership in your department is aligned with the values that Jim has worked so hard to establish at this company you will really enjoy working here and you will strive to provide an exceptional level of service for your clients.

ConsIn 2007 the company was sold to Merrill Lynch, which was then bought by Bank of America and did not return to brewing an independent bank until 2010. During this time a lot of effort was put into preserving the culture that Jim developed. Unfortunately so much attention was paid to this task that a few areas of the bank were taken over by leadership that to date only play lip service to Jim's vision and values. This is most pronounced in the IT and operations areas of the bank, although certainly not limited to just these two areas. Interacting with both areas has become a painful experience and turnover is such that you never know who you will be speaking to next to try to get issues resolved. It's clear that both areas have taken on a "big bank" view of how things should be and are no longer being led by people who are experts in their respective areas of control. There almost seems to be contempt for anyone that has subject matter expertise, as when you find someone knowledgable to help you they are either punished for actually helping or are fired (jealousy or making sure high level incompetence remains hidden?). It's amazing that lower level employees take the fall and the heads of these departments are allowed to sidestep any responsibility. Trying to have issues addressed makes it very clear where the problem actually lies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold your department leadership accountable. Take notice that responsibly is always passed down to lower level employees such as supervisors and managers that are not given the freedom to make decisions at all with no requirement for the heads of a department to explain how it is they allowed things to get to the point they are.

A good place to work, plenty of room for growth.

Collateral Specialist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThis company supports it's employees very well. During the time I was at this company every issue I took to managers and the HR team was dealt with care and diligence. The working environment is up beat and invigorating. As far as benefits, for the time I was there, salaries were competitive, time-off standard and the perks kept getting better and better (in house cafe, commuter program, etc.)

ConsDuring my time I saw many instances of nepotism. Family members and friends seemed to race from intern to loan officer amazingly quickly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company in flux, moving from small bank to large, not handling growing pains well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSubsidized cafeteria, central BART SFO location, decent offices, average pay and above average benefits. Some very good people to work with in the right departments. Typical problems in any smaller sized company.

ConsUnusual (negative) culture, lack of diversity in problem solving and collective unwillingness to address obvious problems, like very high turnover, lack of budgets or poor systems performance. High reliance on temporary workers, which creates its own set of challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Bain & Co. to perform a wholescale change management exercise across the entire company. This will include setting and fixing to a strategy, sharing that with the employees, and measuring everyone against the success measures. It will improve your non-interest expense ratio too, which will begin to deteriorate as you approach higher FDIC scrutiny. Its a multi-year process.

Nepotism = Unqualified

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsBase salary and bonus opportunity are decent. Locations can be awesome depending on which office you work from. The CEO Jim Herbert is well-respected. If you're looking for a 9-5 job that won't be too challenging, this could be the place for you.

ConsNEPOTISM: Many unqualified people here got internships, vendor contracts, even VP titles because of who they know or are related to.
    COMPLACENCY: Everyone around here has rose colored glasses, just assumes the best way to success is to stay exactly the same. Few people take any initiative to do new things to stir things up or take this company to the next level

Advice to Senior Management1.) Start hiring qualified people, not just your best friend's wife/daughter/nephew/etc. 2.) Offer better benefits. The best and the brightest talent require more than a paycheck. We want flexible work schedules, community giving programs, tuition reimbursement, and more. 3.) Understand that there are a lot of lazy people in the ranks who have no desire to take initiative to take this business to the next level.

Temp at first republic

Deposit Services (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat company, great people, great food at discounted price.

ConsCant make mistakes, need to double check even after you have something reviewed by someone else. If its under your name make sure you do it right.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize training schedule better and more focused for the position.

Productive and challenging

Loan Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExperience Professionals with extensive profitable book of business will excel in this environment. Management and relationship managers cultivate excellent client and referral source relationships. This is the the focus of First Republic Bank

ConsHighly entrepreneurial environment. Systems are developed as needed with minimal "bells and whistles" Funds employed in these systems are pegged for efficiency and massive changes are not pushed out prematurely.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow at a controlled pace and continue commitment to established Corporate Values.

Administrator

ProsRelaxed environment, good resources, strong culture, good customer service, caring customer front.

ConsNot a lot of communication, doesn't seem very easy to grow.

Great Team, Managment and Company Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat people, fantastic management (in my department) and a wonderful company culture.
    Excellent benefits, including its own Wolfgang Puck cafe that is HEAVILY subsidized.

ConsGrowth is eminent so change can be positive or negative - too early to tell.

Good Company Transitioning from Midsize to Big with Normal Growing Pains

Various (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe company consistently grows year after year, has great people, and does its best to keep the service culture. One may develop some great professional friendships there.

ConsSince so many new people have been hired at all levels, keeping the culture is its biggest challenge. Those that keeps their head down to get things done must demonstrate their value to all. If you work there, do not be humble, show everyone how they benefit from your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease nurture that wonderful culture!

Worked for First Republic (CA)? Contribute to the Community!