Flextronics

Updated 17 August 2014

3.1

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara
Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't really communicate well with clients and has no business skills to run the whole projects (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Flex is a global Company with many Sites in many different countries

Current Employee - Global Strategic Supply Chain Manager  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Global Strategic Supply Chain Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Flex is a global Company with many Sites in many different countries . Many of the sites feature Amenities like Cafe , gyms and rec area . Many SItes also offer bonuses and incentive based on Compensation to hourly employees.

Cons

Due to the lean nature of the business model , not all sites enjoy the amenities above . Often employees are place uner harsh work schedules and are asked to perform well under heavy pressure ,also jobs in US and Europe are moving to oversea and India due to Cut cost on all the lean project .

Keep jobs in US will save more money than cleaning up all the mess in oversea

Bad Management- Quality Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Pay is ok and the benefits are good. There are alot of experienced inspectors working inthe quality department with great work ethics. Most of the people are very helpful to new employees.

Cons

While there are good inspectors, most inspectors are not compensated for their experience and contribution to the success of the company. This is due in part to the people who are placed in supervisory positions without the skills and knowledge that are needed for this position and this includes working with different races, genders, and backgrounds. Supervisors who strategically place inspectors that they like in key working areas only when it is time for layoffs so that their job will be secured. Unfortunately, this causes good experienced people to be laid off. The bad thing about this is that the supervisor who encourages bad work habits from the inspectors such as long breaks and lunches, falsifying time and worst of all, the mentallity that "it's all about quanity not quality", is still employed to start all over again.

Hire experienced supervisors that know something about the job and how to keep their personal feelings out of the workplace, as this is not the place or the position for the unfairness that has been demonstrated here. Also, listen to complaints from the employees on the floor and let them know that their complaint has been investigated and the results of it, because not everybody is wrong about a particular supervisor. In the future, please do not let the supervisor who writes the employees' review choose who should be laid off because there is too much room for favoritism.

Lot of opportunity at the higher levels

Pros

Great opportunity for those willing to take initiative
    Fast paced environment with little tolerance for bureaucracy
    Good people culture without inter division politics that I have seen at similar sized companies

Cons

Operations focus often leads to tactical, 'low risk and low rewards' near term decisions
    Senior management are starting to adopt a more strategic approach but may take time for rank and file to change behaviors

Think like a product company and feel free to be open to more ideas and taking some risks

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good learning

Pros

environment exposure culture benefit name skills set salary

Cons

instability never secure companies blur top management plan in vague

diversify

Best place to see what you are made of

Current Employee - Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Test Engineer

Pros

1. If you are a decided person nobody will stop you transpose your ideas to reality; you are always encouraged to improve things and not to be satisfied with sufficient
    2. Quarterly bonuses, vacation bonuses

Cons

1. Highly dynamical work environment, always in a change, so you always have to adapt and your work seems to always never reach a goal
    2. Have to take care of small administrative tasks that are very time consuming and do not have any value added to your knoeledge

Hire more people.

Current Employee

Pros

Opportunities to grow, great people to work with, flexible schedule.

Cons

Provide more Leadership development training

It helped me mature and get a very intensive experience, which contributed crucially in my career.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Sorocaba, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Sorocaba, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

I got an intensive experience, I could understand and follow the company's politics effectively. My direct managers had a very wide experiences, thus I could learn and develop a lot.
    I had crucial opportunities of growth, I was promoted once a year and could have experience in several departments of the company.

Cons

The workload is really heavy, for a period I had about 60hs of overtime monthly (beyond the normal 45hs weekly). Some people get really stressed due the pressure for results (this made me mature a lot and learn how to deal with it, but some people get really bad for that, even sick).
    The food they offered in the company's restaurant was really bad, many people (including myself) brought food from home - some days it was impossible to eat the food offered.
    The food was a huge problem for me, I spent a lot of money eating out or a lot of work bringing food from home.

I would be happy to pay a little more for the food benefit if they could improve the food quality, as I stated in the Cons, it was a huge problem for me.

Buy and sell

Pros

You can refuse a task given to you. Managers are too scared to lose their seemingly good people. Too bad for new hires.
    The company is always hiring
    For new hires you do everything your seniors don't want to do and get blamed by being forced to own a problematic project.

Cons

The factories here provide bread & butter to thousands of people and they work very hard to keep the company profitable. However, when the going gets tough they are the first to lose their job when management decided on cost cutting. The culture is so focused on blaming, it is not that people in flextronics like to blame, but the novelty of owning up and fixing a problem up to an extend of another's problem always, not often but always, result in that person being severed. A drop of fresh milk into a glass of bad milk changes nothing. This is the 3rd round of layoffs and the people that cheat the system by manipulating the data survives. A lot of politics here and the performance metric is really bad. Backstabbing culture and people using their skills to figure out how to survive rather than what to do to thrive.

It seems to me your middle managers need counseling.

Supportive and Team-focused Work Environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Flextronics is very team focused and, despite how lean we are from a resource perspective, you will almost NEVER hear "that's not my job" or "You're on your own".... As a Manager, I have a great team supporting me and the company.

The benefits are very competitive for this area. Salaries are fair, not amazing. 401K is 1:1 up to 4%. Healthcare plans are great, with up to $400 free up front to be used for deductibles, copays, etc, and any remaining carries over to the next year. Bonus structure varies by level; 5% or 10% of base which can be met from 0% to 200% per quarter.

Work-life balance depends on your work area and level.

Cons

Training could be improved.

If you are at the operational level (inspectors, line operators) weekends are heavily required. As you get into engineering, program management and management, weekends either rotate responsibility or are not expected at all.

You can only get too lean, before you become anorexic. Things are getting a bit dicey with coverage levels and things are starting to slip through the cracks. While I know this is corporate driven, it could push the site in the wrong direction for our current and hopeful customers.

Student Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Not many, besides free salad and the smooth interview process, this position has so far has been a drain to my summer. Little room for growth.

Cons

There are so many managers, directors, and VPs within the company. Little could be done when you have so many points of contact, with everyone wanting expecting something different from you. Mentors assigned to interns were unresponsive to interns and some were only in the office 1-2x/week. Highly recommend against accepting an offer here.

Worked for Flextronics? Contribute to the Community!