Flextronics

Updated 19 November 2014
3.1

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara
Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 19 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't really communicate well with clients and has no business skills to run the whole projects (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Job when it lasted

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse and interesting. Job involved a lot of travel to neat places. Must have great intercommunication skills. Interacted with great people from around the world.

Cons

Can get laid off at any time. I never saw it coming. They had to make room for another higher level director. So even though you add a lot of value and do a great job you can get laid off at any time.

Should not lay off experienced employees. A lot of knowledge leaves the company.

good

I have been working at Flextronics full-time

Pros

Good atmosphere. timings are ok.

Cons

Routine stuff .not much challenging

review

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

training system is very good

Cons

lower pay than other similar company

Tech Supervisor

I have been working at Flextronics full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No more contract with VZW

Extremely Poor Leadership and Business Ethics

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Simulates a good corporation with the potential for advancement. If you treat it like a temporary job, you can get about a year out of them.

Cons

Leadership culture is to protect their positions at all costs. They do not care an ounce about helping anyone advance within the company unless it benefits them personally. Relocated families and hired talented people, used them to launch the MacPro, then cut them to show quarterly savings. Invested in uniforms for 800 employees then downsized to 200 to cut costs. Meanwhile, 600 people took their uniforms home.

Choose leaders who actually lead, have social skills, and retain talent. Do not choose leaders who fire talent to secure their own positions and empower the weak knowing they have years until they become a threat. Promote a culture of brains not a culture of monkeys. Penalize those who maliciously secure their own existence and job security unless it is you who is guilty of it which is probably why it exists. Relocated families and hired talented people, used them to launch the MacPro, then cut them to show quarterly savings. Invested in uniforms for 800 employees then downsized to 200 to cut costs. Meanwhile, 600 people took their uniforms home.

I learned a lot of great things here, and got me started on my career of Quality Assurance Inspector.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I could get on the Flextronics University website and take all different classes in almost any field there is to think of. I can further my career and move up and since it is a worldwide company you learn a lot more stuff here than you would in just a one country company.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't a lot of work, since I was working in Flextronics, but for Aerotek I got laid off. I really loved this company and all it had. Its a shame I didn't get to stay.

Hire me back. I am a really hard worker and want to move up in my career. MaryAlice Cancino

Great Company

I worked at Flextronics

Pros

great benefits especially health / medical

Cons

Worked Alot of overtime, you need to be prepared for that

Best place I've worked so far

Former Employee - Quote Project Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quote Project Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quarterly bonuses, good management, friendly co-workers, good pay, provides raises, some flexibility with personal schedule. Perks like on site cafeteria and coffee bar. Time off was adequate and benefits were decent.

Cons

HVAC system and building need updated. Not really on board with telecommuting. Team initiatives was not a strong point, and options for growth were limited. Training was sporadic.

Bring back ability to telecommute for those with kids.

unestable

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, compensations, and food

Cons

the proyects are unestables, and the people is dissmised as an object
    then them try to recontract you but you have another estable job and you never come back again to flextronics

try the people as people

Completely un-professional from managers to human resources to work for.

Former Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Their companies values only apply when it benefits the company and the leadership is very poor. I found no pros working for Flextronics, too bad really. I went to work for Flextronics thinking I was making a solid career change to find about the supervisor disrespected women in the position I was hired in. I was underminded me in front of co-workers over and over. I went to the manager several times and nothing was done. The work center was a Hostile working environment.

Cons

Only con was a free health screening. The health insurance plan was horrible. The health insurance is a HSA just horrible. Dental Plan was good though. I worked 6 days a week for two years to get a new product to market to be re-paid back by laying me off, my husband and 1,100 other people once the project was completed. I will never work for Flextronics in my career again nor do I recommend it to anyone. The pay is also very low if you do not have a degree such as I an my husband did. Most people were only getting paid $10 hr and when converted up to $10.50 hour.

Try hiring less managers that do not have any people skills and Supervisors that discriminate against women. Do not over hire employees for projects then lay off 1,100 people once the project is completed. Flextronics brought jobs to Austin sure enough but then laid all those people off a year and half to two years later !