Flextronics Reviews

Updated 11 September 2014
3.1

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara
Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't really communicate well with clients and has no business skills to run the whole projects (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Supportive and Team-focused Work Environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flextronics is very team focused and, despite how lean we are from a resource perspective, you will almost NEVER hear "that's not my job" or "You're on your own".... As a Manager, I have a great team supporting me and the company.

The benefits are very competitive for this area. Salaries are fair, not amazing. 401K is 1:1 up to 4%. Healthcare plans are great, with up to $400 free up front to be used for deductibles, copays, etc, and any remaining carries over to the next year. Bonus structure varies by level; 5% or 10% of base which can be met from 0% to 200% per quarter.

Work-life balance depends on your work area and level.

Cons

Training could be improved.

If you are at the operational level (inspectors, line operators) weekends are heavily required. As you get into engineering, program management and management, weekends either rotate responsibility or are not expected at all.

You can only get too lean, before you become anorexic. Things are getting a bit dicey with coverage levels and things are starting to slip through the cracks. While I know this is corporate driven, it could push the site in the wrong direction for our current and hopeful customers.

Buy and sell

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

You can refuse a task given to you. Managers are too scared to lose their seemingly good people. Too bad for new hires.
    The company is always hiring
    For new hires you do everything your seniors don't want to do and get blamed by being forced to own a problematic project.

Cons

The factories here provide bread & butter to thousands of people and they work very hard to keep the company profitable. However, when the going gets tough they are the first to lose their job when management decided on cost cutting. The culture is so focused on blaming, it is not that people in flextronics like to blame, but the novelty of owning up and fixing a problem up to an extend of another's problem always, not often but always, result in that person being severed. A drop of fresh milk into a glass of bad milk changes nothing. This is the 3rd round of layoffs and the people that cheat the system by manipulating the data survives. A lot of politics here and the performance metric is really bad. Backstabbing culture and people using their skills to figure out how to survive rather than what to do to thrive.

It seems to me your middle managers need counseling.

Student Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Flextronics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Not many, besides free salad and the smooth interview process, this position has so far has been a drain to my summer. Little room for growth.

Cons

There are so many managers, directors, and VPs within the company. Little could be done when you have so many points of contact, with everyone wanting expecting something different from you. Mentors assigned to interns were unresponsive to interns and some were only in the office 1-2x/week. Highly recommend against accepting an offer here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The revolving door

Former Employee - Technician  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Very competitive salary and as much overtime as you can handle.

Cons

When times are lean and overtime is a bad word then it is time to update your resume. When the axe comes down it is swift and painless.

Try to keep the qualified talent and not just the "yes" people and there will be less of a let down in production when layoffs are neccessary.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Order Management Coordinator  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Order Management Coordinator in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get decent benefits. It is also a good place to start out and learn more about the manufacturing process.

Cons

Don't expect too much more compensation in the form of raises. Also the work/life balance is poor. Management is quick to throw extra duties and demand reports in an unreasonable time frame. Many people work all hours of the night from home. They are quick to blame lower level employees for lack of Revenue, but fail to praise accomplishments. Layoffs were aimed towards Senior Level employees that knew the business. Now there are a bunch of new hires who have not been trained properly and are just trying to get their feet wet.

Pay more, Show appreciation to your talented workers, Communicate changes quicker, and value labor as an investment instead of an expense.

People are generally nice but no prospects

Former Employee - Planner
    Former Employee - Planner

I worked at Flextronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people here are really nice; they're friendly and willing to act as a mentor to you. They're willing to teach as long as you have the right attitude and they are really into the teamwork spirit so it's always a team behind you. I am lucky to have met superiors who are willing to grow me and I really appreciates that.

Cons

Management do not seems aware of the workload and tend to give more and more until somebody quits. At times, as colleagues we help out each other but to be honest, it's not going to work long term.

They are really cost-driven. They are willing to slash employees at any time as long as it helps the business. People don't feel secure with their job and people who perform are generally given a very bad pay as compared to outside.

Improve your employees confidence in you. Give recognition where necessary. Match salaries outside or give other benefits in return. Employees are your assets; not your slaves.

HRIS

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

Good opportunity, benefit good, flexibel

Cons

Not stable, a lot director poistion

Good Place to Learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Johor Bahru (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johor Bahru (Malaysia)

I worked at Flextronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great learning opportunity in cost control, NPI, contract management and lean manufacturing. Opportunity to learn about new products and manufacturing methods.

Cons

Have to deal with the variances in customer order fluctuations that will not help in optimizing production and inventories. Career growth limited. Frequent lay off exercises in operating and management ranks. Very long work hours.

Focus to enable employee commitment vs creating a high stress environment.

Foot in the door...

Current Employee - Support Technician  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well, it is a job that has allowed me to learn IT skills without having to pay for it.

Cons

No nets around the buildings.
    Made the same amount of money on unemployment.
    Most of the management come from other countries so sometimes there is a language barrier. It is cheaper for Flextronics to pay them a housing expense and a salary that is good in their native state than it is to hire local management. And if you do take any management roles you will be working for considerably less than what is typically paid for the same type of work at other businesses.

Be nice to the locals.

Fast paced.

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

Abundant resources to help you.

Cons

Constantly changing both good and bad.

Be more communicative.

Worked for Flextronics? Contribute to the Community!