Fluor

Updated 6 March 2015
3.7

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 19 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Project Controls, Risk Management

Current Employee - Lead Cost Engineer in Perth, Western Australia
    Current Employee - Lead Cost Engineer in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, Team-work, values, everyone is passionate to work in Fluor

Cons

Not applicable to Fluor. No Cons if someone is looking for best employer, Fluor is one

Fantastic company (only construction company in Fortune 100 and over 100 years in business) but depends on your team

Former Employee - Project Manager in Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Fluor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All the benefits to be expected with a Fortune 100 MNC around over 100 years: benefits, lateral moves, ability to shine in a niche

Cons

Too easy to be treated like a contractor, conflict of cultures between American headquarters and overseas post, lack of corporate oversight throughout roles and teams, no accountability for poor management and performance practices, too easy to specialize and loss ability for career placement due to over specialization (or when economy changes, you're culled from Fluor)

Encourage more career rotations to build rapport throughout organization, reduce conflicts of interest and improve career potentials, establish and follow multiple performance review system, encourage anonymous whistleblower program

Engineer Fluor Australia

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Generally good large greenfield projects. Plenty of opportunity for site exposure if desired. Friendly working environment.

Cons

Silo mentality. Lack of project continuation, seem to have trouble winning new work. Very quick to lay off contractors and staff at first sign of a trouble. Seem to only target tier 1 and 2 clients. Huge move to transfer work to cheaper cost centres - Manila, New Delhi etc. Only way to progress seems to be to move overseas with them at much reduced salary.

Communicate more clearly with workers. More focus on localisation. Business Development should consider targeting a range of clients, not just tier 1 and 2 clients.

Worked in Afghanistan. Excellent company.

Former Employee - Senior Expeditor in Jalālābād, Nangarhar Province (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good wage, good health care, good training, good co-workers.

Cons

Got laid off too soon.

Hire me back!

Good comany.

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fluor is a great place to work. Wonderful benefits and great people. I highly recommend working here. Global Construction company with good job security. Sound leaders.

Cons

My particular reason for leaving the company was lack of a challenge in my position and office "politics "after my promotion. (A common occurence, I hear from some women...why? Jealousy.) I also was offered a better offer in the same field with another company for a $12 thousand increase in salary! Make sure you investigate job market prior to settling on wages.

When innovating a position and placing an employee in a management role, insure they are qualified to manage and properly guide the employee in their new position. Also as a member of upper management, your responsibility is to have an honest overview of what is actually happening in your absence. One csnnot simply rely upon "perceptions".

Good company

Current Employee - Piping Designer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Piping Designer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

9 day fortnight, opportunity

Cons

Flexability, want an overseas assignment

None

Positive working experience I would not hesitate to go back if the opportunity presented itself.

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Sugar Land, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Sugar Land, TX (US)

I worked at Fluor

Pros

during y time there I worked under a specific project project and management team and i thoroughly enjoyed it. It was more that work and coworkers it was a family.

Cons

Projects come to an end, managers move on new ones come in and do not necessarily embrace the company culture the same ways. It is unfortunate for the long time employees.

Value your employees, utilize the HR practices in place to assist you with retention.

EET

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Highly organized and fair and mixed culture. There are opportunities to advance if you strive for.

Cons

Some competitions of course. You need to prepare yourself not to be outdated. (This is good thing though). Sometimes it can be stressful to meet deadlines because there are projects you are working.

Great empowerment for better learning.

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management is very supportive. They gave me opportunities to further develop my skills through trusting me manage a global project in spite of my very limited background to it. I had ups and downs along the way but they have my back for support. It was the more they encourage me to do better.

Cons

Not much opportunity if you want to move to another position or career track within the organization.

Challenging.

Current Contractor - Drafter IV in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Current Contractor - Drafter IV in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Fluor as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Having a friday off evry other week and weekends off, trainings that is needed for career growth

Cons

Pressure in job and less time for communication within the leads

Frequent personal communication